Spike Lee Goes On A 5 Minute Rant Defending His New Movie "Chiraq" [VIDEO]

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
I swear to god the entirety of Chicago has a stick up their ass.

How retarded do you nikkas have to be to really get offended by satire? Highlighting the absurdity of a serious topic is the fukking point of satire.

I get it, youve lost friends and family to gun violence and youre terrorized by it everyday. BUt holy shyt, THIS IS NOT A NEW OR UNIQUE PROBLEM. CHICAGO IS *NOT* A SPECIAL CASE. Chicago is todays New Orleans, which was yesterdays South Central who was what New York was in the 70s and 80s. Its not a new problem so quit acting like bytches because you think it should be handled with kid gloves.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Actually youth that have grown up watching their friends and family murdered did not like the situation to be satirical documented on film.

In reality, this film didn't need to be called "chi raq" or based in Chicago. That was done for profit and to have a catchy hip name.

Ive said Spike was short sighted naming the film Chi-Raq because apparently its a case of "too soon" for those a$$holes . However I cannot fault him for wanting to be topical and relevant. He clearly made the movie because he wanted to focus on the absurdity and tragedy of Black Violent Crime and why not use Chicago as a centerpiece? Chicago is going to be our decades definitive example of the rampancy of Black Poverty, just as South Central was in the 90s.

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
should have done this film in a fictional city. how the name chiraq with a bunch of old ass mothafukas running around looking and sounding NOTHING like Chicagoans.

:francis:

tbh spike was wrong for using the Chi-raq title if he wasnt gonna make the movie resemble the city. Thats like making a movie called the Aztecs and casting a shyt ton of cacs :scust:

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California

How retarded do you nikkas have to be to really get offended by satire? Highlighting the absurdity of a serious topic is the fukking point of satire.

I get it, youve lost friends and family to gun violence and youre terrorized by it everyday. BUt holy shyt, THIS IS NOT A NEW OR UNIQUE PROBLEM. CHICAGO IS *NOT* A SPECIAL CASE. Chicago is todays New Orleans, which was yesterdays South Central who was what New York was in the 70s and 80s. Its not a new problem so quit acting like bytches because you think it should be handled with kid gloves.
which is why calling it chi raq and focusing on Chicago was a bad decision. If you are going to focus on one city, portray it correctly.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
should have done this film in a fictional city. how the name chiraq with a bunch of old ass mothafukas running around looking and sounding NOTHING like Chicagoans.

tbh spike was wrong for using the Chi-raq title if he wasnt gonna make the movie resemble the city. Thats like making a movie called the Aztecs and casting a shyt ton of cacs :scust:
Chicago gangbangers with bandanas :heh:

I'm a square and even I know that is just dumb.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds

Did a Chicago nikka fukk your bytch?

RebelX

HEir
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
~~~
gotta be a cac. righteous anger always called a rant. hell. they called jay z tidal twitter stream a rant. if you black you have to be crazy apparently . these cacs really are devils.

Lol

Rant - Speak or shout at length in an impassioned way

And the post you quoted is talking about the title of the video not the thread.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
which is why calling it chi raq and focusing on Chicago was a bad decision. If you are going to focus on one city, portray it correctly.

Why?

Really, why?

Once again, Chicagos violent crime rate isnt unique. Its the fukkin same as every other hood thats been popping.

Could Spike have used another city or a fictional city? Sure. But I see the other side of it as well. People are missing the point (and problem) that you COULDVE subbed a shytton of other Black Cities in as the setting for the movie and the movies message wouldve been the same. Chicago is this years problem. Keeping all of the subtleties as general as fukk keeps the message general (and for the record Spike did incorporate a shytton of shoutouts to Chicago in the movie).

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps

its not even remotely close

Randoug

Superstar
Daps
I would actually have to with disagree with @Malta. The movie covers a lot of systemic issues within a country. The movie was filled with double meanings and points that actually go deeper than surface level so I would say that this movie was a great movie from a substance standpoint.

The acting was not great but the main character, Wesley and Angela did a fantastic job.

The most meaningful movie I seen in the last two years. It probably went over to many movie goers heads. It's not straightforward like Creed. It was laced with double meanings.

I don't expect lower minded negros to understand from the first viewing. @Napoleon, you should check it out.

Care to elaborate? :mjpls:

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
Let's give Nick Cannon and a bunch of other washed 30 year olds with Caesars a movie an call it "Chiraq" what could go wrong? :mjlol:

It feels like when you're in highschool watching a show about highschool an the parties are the most lit shyt ever an all the actors are 25+ :lolbron:

I haven't seen the movie yet. Anyway, the bolded is so true :laff: Most of them dudes from Stomp the Yard are in their late 30s and early 40s now :heh:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
what did they say? I don't have to time to watch that video

They didnt like it because:
*It satirized the violence
*It wasnt authentic enough
*It didnt offer any credible solutions (the plot of the movie is women abstaining from sex with men to force peace) to the violence and was oversexualized
*Didnt tell the "true history" of why the violence occurs and how they got there
*Shouldn't have set it in Chicago
*Hell one dude called Spike a "white supremacist" because the movie was that much a betrayal to him.

Most of their arguments miss the point completely and foist an unrealistic social responsibility on the movie to find a "fix" and tell "the whole story" (whatever the fukk that means).