Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods (Official Thread)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I thought this was actually kinda disappointing.

Delroy gave a masterful performance, especially the soliloquy. I also liked how the historical photos/asides were interwoven into the narrative. But apart from that, it seems undercooked and rushed. I think the sappy score (not the soundtrack, loved the Marvin) made it seem like a fake movie at times.

The whole subplot with the white landmine people and the love interest was really stupid.

The whole subplot with Jean Reno turning on them for the gold was weak.

The whole subplot with the Vietnamese daughter was really thrown together and barely given any care.

Chadwick was really good, but he was in the film for like 4 minutes.

While I appreciated they gave some agency to the Vietnamese perspective with the Calley reference, I don't think they really grappled with the War sufficiently.

I think Miracle at St. Anna was a far superior film.

The French chick was used to highlight how generations deal with historic guilt, and to be the opposite of Reno's character. Reno is a Frenchman who still holds business in 'Nam like a colonist, the white chick is doing what should've been the government's job and clearing mines and bombs left behind and are still hurting locals. 50 years later the Vietnamese are still risking being killed by American and French weapons.

The subplot with the Vietnamese daughter was needed for Otis' background (and why we should care he survives), also to be a counterpoint to Paul being a bad father. Paul hated his son since birth while Otis spent most of his life not knowing he had a daughter but instantly had nothing but fatherly love for her. Of course the introduction of the daughter is also used by Spike to talk about racial discrimination of black people in Asia and white soldiers strengthening it (the ones who taught the Vietnamese the N-word).

Stormin' Norman (Chadwick) was this film's colonel Kurtz (Brando's character from Apocalypse Now, which Spike gives thanks to in the end credits). In Apocalypse Now soldiers are sent into the Vietnamese jungle to kill a Colonel who has gone fully insane. Norman is the literal black counterpart to the white madman, a US soldier who was the moral compass that never wavered and actually kept his brothers sane during the war. His presence in the film is short but the weight of his importance is felt.

And I don't think Spike really had a lot to say about the war itself, it was all about how many people are still haunted by the war, and not always in the most commonly acknowledged sense (PTSD).

Really good movie that gets weirdly campy and corny at times. The musical score was distracting.

Thought the musical score was deliberately composed the sound like a traditional war movie score (the horns and strings) to emphasize that they were still fighting a war (if not against their own demons, then white supremacy). So it's sounding off because mentally we connect this kind of musical score to the heroism and struggle of war, not the suffering following the war.

I do wish they grieved Eddie death a bit longer and the fact they left him out there kinda goes against part of the reason they searched for the other blood.

Not really. They specifically wanted to return Norman so he could get a hero's treatment and burial and not be forgotten in history.

The other deaths (not just Eddie but also Paul and Melvin) were people who lived long lives but reached the end of the road due to their decision to also take the gold (note that each death, even Eddie's, is directly caused by the gold, not the retrieval of Norman's body).

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
This was great. Movie of the year so far. Delroy was awesome. Probably my fav film of his after DTRT.

There was some atrocious CGI and the action scenes were pretty bad. Keep that same energy y'all do in Nolan films. :mjpls:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

Just realized
Otis is the only living member of the Temps. Only one who survives this movie

tenor.gif

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
This was great. Movie of the year so far. Delroy was awesome. Probably my fav film of his after DTRT.

There was some atrocious CGI and the action scenes were pretty bad. Keep that same energy y'all do in Nolan films. :mjpls:
Spike can't shoot action scenes and it's been known (looking at you Miracle At St Anna). :manny:

Spike's strength has always been telling human stories, plain and simple.

Not sure what any of that has to with Nolan outside of your necessity to keep his dikk in your mouth.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Spike can't shoot action scenes and it's been known (looking at you Miracle At St Anna). :manny:

Spike's strength has always been telling human stories, plain and simple.

Not sure what any of that has to with Nolan outside of your necessity to keep his dikk in your mouth.
Kinda like you and NWF and other directors no one gives a fukk about :sas2:

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Great film overall...some dry moments here and then but still fantastic viewing.

If Delroy Lindo doesn’t get a nomination of some sorts for that performance then something is wrong.
No problem with the grenade moment...just dont think he needed to yell out grenade. Should have just had him do it
It's kind of a movie tradition/trope, though. Someone ALWAYS yells "grenade" before they jump on a grenade.
:manny:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
@Rhakim and all the brehs who seen The Emperor Jones

Delroy Lindo's walk through the jungle scene gave me the same vibes/awe of Paul Robeson in The Emperor Jones at the end. :wow::wow::wow:

I timestamped for the brehs who want to see (just the last 10 to 15 mins)

Thanks for the shout-out, most people don't even know who I'm repping there. :ehh:

That scene is supposedly autobiographical from Eugene O'Neill too, he wrote it based on when he got lost in the jungle himself and became delusional.

Whole movie has a crazy backstory, provides a full education on the racial dynamics of Hollywood at the time. Definitely carries the racism of the era but they pushed to the edge and over the edge of a lot of social taboos, read up some time on all the shyt that had to be cut from the film before it was allowed to air.

B. Pumpaveli

All Star
Daps
They couldn't find younger actors or cgi these dudes:mjtf:

Acting was great everything else was ehh though too many unnecessary scenes imo

“Here’s the thing,” says Lee. “I knew there was no way in hell I was going to get the budget that Martin Scorsese got [to de-age] De Niro, Pacino, and Pesci in The Irishman, and it was a lot of money. And I dislike when films get different actors to play younger versions of the main characters. Also, makeup or prosthetics would’ve melted in the 100-degree heat.”

But the discount solution provided an effective way to show that the Bloods are still trapped in their wartime memories even as they pass middle age. “It just works,” says Lee. “These guys are going back in time, but this is how they see themselves. We did research screenings, and no one made an issue of it. Hollywood doesn’t give audiences enough credit for their intelligence.”

Spike calling you dumb :lolbron::mjlol: