Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods (Official Thread)

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just finished.

shyt was fantastic. All the Bloods were on point, but Delroy Lindo killed.

That reviewer is a clown cake though. Read the review on the strength of the tweet. She struggles with the fact that Paul is a Trump supporting Black man, like one of the biggest pop stars on the planet hasn't been pulling the exact same schtick for years. :why:The motherfukkers exist - we always think twice about inviting them to functions - but the motherfukkers exist.

She also says she's a comedian - the amount of comedy podcasts I've listened to over the years and I've never heard of her. Old girl must be super trash :wow:

From her tweets, she's way more excited about Bill Burr's projects dropping today, anyway, so make of that what you will. Someone should tell her that even with her 2 cents - Da 5 Bloods is still better reviewed across the board than 'King Of Staten Island' too.:sas2:

Idiots don't even know history. I doubt she even knows the circumstances of vietnam. Who were the players or the geopolitics involved. I highly doubt she even understands that most folks involved were drafted and a large segment of those fighting on the frontlines in infantry were black. Not even mentioning the upheaval of the civil rights situations in the mid to late 60s and early 70s. Idiots should be seen and not heard.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Spike said that number 1 (Netflix wouldn’t give him the money to “Irishman” the actors so he decided to number 2 (Utilize the same actors to show how the war and the experiences aged the soldiers)

It makes sense cause when you flash back in your mind to years ago you don't view yourself as younger. But people who died you view them as they were when the last time you saw them.

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Why didn’t they just get younger actors for the flashbacks... That how they used to do things.:martin:
yeah as soon as the first war scene came up me and my girl were like wtf? He looks old as hell.

2-B9-CF9-F3-ED57-4-ABD-9-D1-E-324-C7210-AA93.jpg

They still look old even though they’re trying to look young lol. Could’ve just used younger actors because it’s not like there was many scenes. I’m sure he will answer to it.
yea could be artistic choice, wasn't feeling it, I don't think a younger cast would have been needed, just a little dye or some wigs.

Somebody posted earlier in the thread but yea Spike spoke on that

“Here’s the thing,” says Lee. “I knew there was no way in hell I was going to get the budget that Martin Scorsese got [to de-age] De Niro, Pacino, and Pesci in The Irishman, and it was a lot of money. And I dislike when films get different actors to play younger versions of the main characters. Also, makeup or prosthetics would’ve melted in the 100-degree heat.”

But the discount solution provided an effective way to show that the Bloods are still trapped in their wartime memories even as they pass middle age. “It just works,” says Lee. “These guys are going back in time, but this is how they see themselves. We did research screenings, and no one made an issue of it. Hollywood doesn’t give audiences enough credit for their intelligence.”

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
We bout to watch this in a minute.
Trying to pull Lil KingPins goofy ass off that goddamn Fortnite ahit.
:beli:

Hows is this game still popular like that??
Aint this shyt come out like y years ago???
:what:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
How would yall have felt if they brought back all the Spike Lee OG's as the other bloods?

Denzel as Otis, Sam Jackson as Melvin and either Wesley or Fishburne as Eddie. :jbhmm:

Probably would have been hard to get anyone of them to do the movie and NOT want to be Paul, but still.:patrice:

Then again the lesser known actors can kinda just be the characters I guess. :ehh:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
This was great. Movie of the year so far. Delroy was awesome. Probably my fav film of his after DTRT.

There was some atrocious CGI and the action scenes were pretty bad. Keep that same energy y'all do in Nolan films. :mjpls:
Nolan pressed to be iMax, this is Netflix

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Why are people bothered with using the old Bloods to play their younger versions? It didn't take away from the action (a Young actor would've done basically the same things, if the action is meh it's because of Spike's directing) and it worked as showing those flashbacks as current memories. Even without reading Spike's quote about it, it's pretty evident what the intention was.

:manny:

AKM-95

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Parts Unknown
I really liked this film.I really liked the mixing of genres. Although it got a tad preachy it was lessons that worked with narrative of the story and its connection to our current battles within society. Delroy Lindo better get some respect during award season cause he really was that displaced veteran and I definitely wasnt expecting that level of performance.