Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods (Official Thread)

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watching now. It good but there is one part that is cringy. Absolute horrible.

when dude backed into the minefield. You saw it a mile away. Just bad writing

It wasn't supposed to be a twist... I think it was the intent of having the feeling it was to happen. I had that sense of it going to happen all the way from Paul's son saying he was going to step away to take a piss.

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
It wasn't supposed to be a twist... I think it was the intent of having the feeling it was to happen. I had that sense of it going to happen all the way from Paul's son saying he was going to step away to take a piss.
But is that good writing when it's that obvious? If it's comedic, I can see it but it wasnt.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But is that good writing when it's that obvious? If it's comedic, I can see it but it wasnt.

Everything isn't supposed to be a twist. The way it was filmed, which was a director's choice and NOT a writing choice (which need to be clarified because people use "bad writing" at the wrong times) was filmed to signal that was going to happen. Like I said, I was prepared for it to happen long before it finally did. It was foreshadowed for most of that part of the movie when they ventured into the jungle.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Re the "telegraphed" deaths.
I like one bit of "false" foreshadowing they do in this:
Early on, they talk about how Paul loves "Rambo" movies, and they all have a laugh about how the 1980s Rambo and "Walker Texas Ranger" movies (i.e. "Missing in Action") have this whole mythology about Americans sneaking into the Vietnamese jungles to liberate dozens of American prisoners that are somehow still in POW camps 20 years later for some reason. Which really seems silly if you look back on that whole idea from the year 2020.

Then, when Paul splits from the group and goes off alone he starts talking about how he's going to die on his own terms, and not from cancer. The MAGA hat on his head actually looks a little like a Rambo bandana, and it looked to me like they were setting up for him to start re-enacting First Blood+Rambo 4 and make his last stand on a killing spree like a forest ninja. Instead, the jungle itself attacks him (in the form of a snake), Norman's ghost forgives him, then he gets executed by the Vietnamese.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
are you sure you watched this movie?

art barr
You responded to my original point. I was talking about miracle at St. Anna. You need to know what you are talking about before you respond.

Now go write a poem.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol::mjcry:

EaaDx6tXQAAHRMt