Spin: The person who got the biggest W in The Wire

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Why you hate him?
Everybody here hates that dude

He sold the city a bunch of dreams then didn't even finish term and ran for governor

Once he became governor he fukked Baltimore over

Basically cut us out of the budget and looked out for all the counties where the white folks live

Dude is a republican disguised as a democratic

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
latest

Good point! :ehh:

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Two things I have to say.

On the Greek:

He was the king who stayed the king, as referenced in the legendary chessboard scene. Avon, String( while Avon was locked up), Marlo, and Slim at the end were all "******s" (pawns) who made it to become queen by making it to the end. To a pawn, being queen is being king. But the actual king stayed the king. And he ain't even Greek :ehh:

On Marlo:

The single character I have ever related to most. Anyone that understands his two most important scenes knows what was in store for him. His entire character can be found in two lines:

"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way".
- growing up in poverty, in a group home, you become traumatized. Nothing he did would ever make him happy. He only had the endless pursuit of power to distract him from the ptsd he had. The man was a sociopath that would do anything to get ahead. He was like a character from an ayn rand novel. The world will always be an evil place for him. The world is "one way".

"My name is my name!"

- this scene characterized Marlo as totally American. He could never believe in God. He could never "play the son" to another man. He only knew about the pursuit of power. He never got caught up worried about a female. He never let his emotions get to him. Because Marlo wanted immortality in repudiation. It comes down to survival of the fittest, and Marlo was the most adapted to the evils of inner city Baltimore. And that's all he had. His reputation and his environment. When Omar called him out by name OMAR HAD TO DIE!

This relates to his final scene. The little kids were playing pretnding to be Omar, while no one recognizes Marlo. In the end, his rep, his name, is all he had. He can't go to some island and do blow and fukk local p*ssy. He will make his name bigger by any means necessary, until he meets a violent death.

Marlo was an amazing character :mjcry:

O.Red

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

On the Greek:

He was the king who stayed the king, as referenced in the legendary chessboard scene. Avon, String( while Avon was locked up), Marlo, and Slim at the end were all "******s" (pawns) who made it to become queen by making it to the end. To a pawn, being queen is being king. But the actual king stayed the king. And he ain't even Greek :ehh:

On Marlo:

The single character I have ever related to most. Anyone that understands his two most important scenes knows what was in store for him. His entire character can be found in two lines:

- growing up in poverty, in a group home, you become traumatized. Nothing he did would ever make him happy. He only had the endless pursuit of power to distract him from the ptsd he had. The man was a sociopath that would do anything to get ahead. He was like a character from an ayn rand novel. The world will always be an evil place for him. The world is "one way".

"My name is my name!"

- this scene characterized Marlo as totally American. He could never believe in God. He could never "play the son" to another man. He only knew about the pursuit of power. He never got caught up worried about a female. He never let his emotions get to him. Because Marlo wanted immortality in repudiation. It comes down to survival of the fittest, and Marlo was the most adapted to the evils of inner city Baltimore. And that's all he had. His reputation and his environment. When Omar called him out by name OMAR HAD TO DIE!

This relates to his final scene. The little kids were playing pretnding to be Omar, while no one recognizes Marlo. In the end, his rep, his name, is all he had. He can't go to some island and do blow and fukk local p*ssy. He will make his name bigger by any means necessary, until he meets a violent death.

The Wire produces the goat discussions and views of any show I've ever seen :wow:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I say Naymond because he got a great opportunity while he is young enough to use it and see it as the blessing it is. Marlo got a great opportunity too but he's too ingrained in the game to see it that way.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps

On the Greek:

On Marlo:

"My name is my name!"

You should read the novel "What Makes Sammy Run" by Budd Schulberg.

The main character Sammy Glick is very much like Marlo, only instead of killing his way up the drug world, he backstabs his way through Hollywood. At one point another character has a dream about Sammy where he is climbing a rope, but no matter how far he climbs, there is always more rope. Sammy's only goal is reaching the top, but the rope is endless and he can't see it.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Caccetti and Valcheck :mjpls:

Both moved up in ranks on some fluke shyt and kept winning

Sidenote: it was nice seeing Martin O'malley(the person who the Carcetti character is based on) fail miserably in his attempt to run for president :ahh:
Garcetti's moves weren't fluke shyt though. Dude was very calculated and strategic in his ascension up the political "ladder" (shout out to his ancestor to Little Finger. That conniving ambition is his blood).

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
On Marlo:

"My name is my name!"

that's the exact thing i say to people who watch real drug kingpins get locked up... b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but why didn't he just take the money and move to an island

the type of person it takes to reach boss status, is not the type of person who is doing it for money and material things... they are feeding themselves off the power (like tommy in power ironically)... where no amount of money will allow them to say "ok i'm good now" they will ALWAYS want to be the man.. they will not be complete without it

Think about it

Avon only had 5 years left on his sentence, reputation still intact(something Marlo strived to attain ironically)

Had Sergei, a direct line to the Greek, answering to him in the jail Avon also ran

When he met Marlo that day Avon knew it was a wrap for Joe, which is only good for Avon once he's out

THEN Marlo(AND Omar) gets taken out of the equation too

What's stopping Avon from running Baltimore once he gets out?

I'd bet it all that Avon had more power after that 5 year sentence than before he went in

i still have this exact person and these exact reasons waiting in a draft i was going to write

but since it technically didn't happen on the show, i didn't want to write it.. but there's no way avon comes out and isn't the man again... shyt he don't even have mcnaulty on the force anymore to hunt him

he's going to get out and it'll be a bunch of cops that don't even care about arresting him again and bunch of soft ass co-op nikkas with no connect once he gets sergie to holla at the greek

parallax

Superstar
Daps
namond. he was always on top in his crew financially, and the only one to get out. im just pissed that the others fell where he succeeded. they all got cleaned out and i really wonder if namond knew just how lucky he was in the end.