SportCenter just ended the Kawhi Kobe Clutch Debate

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
I like that Kawhi doesnt overdribble the ball in the offensive zone, something Kobe was fukking notorious for. He's Jordan-like in how decisive he is with the ball. Kobe has his 5 rings and nobody can take that away from him but I really hated his tendency to stand at the top of the 3 point line jab stepping and pump faking away the 24 second possession. And before yall claim his poor quality teammates were to blame, then maybe he shouldve found a way to make them better.
Remember that quarter when Kobe refused to shoot because he was mad about being criticised for shooting too much? Kawhi would never.
If we wanna compare someone to Kobe, it's Kyrie Irving, that dude is cut from Kobe's cloth, right down to the me-first mentality that made him walk away from a HOF teammate.

:laff: Hate Kobe so much you forget that Kawhi quit on the Spurs for an ENTIRE SEASON and sat out 22 games in one season for rest:laff:

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It really is. Kobe has been labeled as an inefficient chucker but was more efficient than almost all of the 2 guard peers of his era. Especially given the level he scored at.

He was routinely better than league average in terms of TS%.

In fact, he posted a TS% of 58% in '06 scoring 35ppg. That's 4.4% higher than league average at 53.6%.

For comparison sake, the "super efficient" James Harden posted a TS of 61.6% vs the league average of 56% this year.

His supposed inefficiency especially for his era, is a farce.

Kobe took a lot of bad shots, more than any other superstar in history

The fact that Kobe’s efficiency is as good as it was is a testament to how great he was

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Kobe took a lot of bad shots, more than any other superstar in history

The fact that Kobe’s efficiency is as good as it was is a testament to how great he was
Exactly. For him to put up numbers like that on a team as bad as that and the shots he had to take is ridiculous.

Him not having a team around him from '05 to '07 was a travesty. '06 Kobe on the '09 Lakers is winning 68-70 games.

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
1. Even in the 2004 Finals, Kobe was *not* dribbling at the top of the 3 line for 24 seconds

2. Funny you bring up Karl/Gary and Dwight/Steve.....why dont you mention how Kobe won a title in 09 and 10 with a remedial supporting cast? Oh nevermind, you probably think 2012 Bynum was the 3rd option on those teams. Dumbass.
"Remedial supporting cast"
Thats not a very nice way to refer to Ron Artest and Pau Gasol, who bailed his ass out in game 7 against Boston, when Mamba was brick fukking city. And youre the one claiming I never watched him play? fukking maniac Kobe stans are the worst.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
damn i gotta hear this :ohhh:

IT WAS SCOOP JACKSON

HE WAS ON MAX AND MARCELLUS EXPLAINING HOW MOST OF THE GUYS AT THE TOP OF ESPN WERE MAJOR PRO-LEBRON/ANTI-KOBE FRAT TYPES WIT A CLEAR AGENDA

THIS WAS BACK IN LIKE 2014 OR SO

WE ALREADY KNEW THIS BUT IT WAS INTERESTING TO HEAR IT CONFIRMED FROM AN INSIDER

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Exactly. For him to put up numbers like that on a team as bad as that and the shots he had to take is ridiculous.

Him not having a team around him from '05 to '07 was a travesty. '06 Kobe on the '09 Lakers is winning 68-70 games.
Kobe really didn’t start declining until the next year. The 2008-09 team won 65 on the season as is. They just had too many good players for him to take 27 shots and 10 free throws every night. His vertical was pretty much all still there, so was his first step, and he was still an above average 3 point shooter at the time. If anything, I’d take 2008-09 Kobe over 2005-06 Kobe since he’d become more patient and a better decision maker by then. He was more fortunate than most stars anyway. They had a championship quality roster arguably all of his first 8 years in the league when he was on the team with Shaq up through his 15th or 16th season depending on how you feel about the 2011-12 team. Getting it right for all but 3 years in that span is better than most teams can pull off.

• Dap
Reactions: ISO

Project Pooch

All Star
Daps
Don't listen to these stupid ass talking heads brehs, Kobe , LeBron, and Kawhi are all very clutch.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Kobe really didn’t start declining until the next year. The 2008-09 team won 65 on the season as is. They just had too many good players for him to take 27 shots and 10 free throws every night. His vertical was pretty much all still there, so was his first step, and he was still an above average 3 point shooter at the time. If anything, I’d take 2008-09 Kobe over 2005-06 Kobe since he’d become more patient and a better decision maker by then. He was more fortunate than most stars anyway. They had a championship quality roster arguably all of his first 8 years in the league when he was on the team with Shaq up through his 15th or 16th season depending on how you feel about the 2011-12 team. Getting it right for all but 3 years in that span is better than most teams can pull off.
Of course, they didn’t need him to score and shoot that many points, but I think Kobe lost a little bit of athleticism after every knee surgery. Athletically he peaked in ‘03, and in skill in ‘09.

That being said, I think ‘06 Kobe had a gear than he couldn’t get to post-‘08 Olympics. Did it really matter? No, but I would’ve liked to see it with a good team around him.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
"Remedial supporting cast"
Thats not a very nice way to refer to Ron Artest and Pau Gasol, who bailed his ass out in game 7 against Boston, when Mamba was brick fukking city. And youre the one claiming I never watched him play? fukking maniac Kobe stans are the worst.

Ron Artest was there for only 1 title and wasn’t even in his prime anymore. He also didn’t bail out anybody either, Kobe scores 10 pts in the 4th I’d game 7. Oh yeah who “bailed” Kobe out in Game 5 and 6? Dumbass. Pau wasn’t even top 3 at his position during those times. You’re an idiot and a hater.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
[QUOTE="Mantis Toboggan M.D., post: 33672140, member: 1632]They had a championship quality roster arguably all of his first 8 years in the league[/QUOTE]

Yeah and they didn’t win shyt until Kobe’s first full year as a starter. Why didn’t Shaq handle it before hand he has Eddie Jones, NVE, etc???? I mean wasn’t Shaq fortunate to have 4 all stars? But nah Kobe just fell into a ready made situation :camby:

Project Pooch

All Star
Daps
Of course, they didn’t need him to score and shoot that many points, but I think Kobe lost a little bit of athleticism after every knee surgery. Athletically he peaked in ‘03, and in skill in ‘09.

So I think ‘06 Kobe had a gear than he couldn’t get to post-‘08 Olympics. Did it really matter? No, but there’s no way I’m taking ‘09 Kobe over ‘06.

Shyt what about Kobe in 2003? I remember him being super active on both sides of the court that year

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps

That being said, I think ‘06 Kobe had a gear than he couldn’t get to post-‘08 Olympics. Did it really matter? No, but I would’ve liked to see it with a good team around him.

09 Kobe was his most complete version, he was still an elite player and he was a waaaaaaay better leader than 06. I know what you mean 06 Kobe was out of this world, but 09 Kobe was my favorite. His approach to the playoffs and especially the Finals was ridiculous and it was spreading to his teammates.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Shyt what about Kobe in 2003? I remember him being super active on both sides of the court that year
That was sabo era Kobe. Multiple playoff series from 2003 and 2004 taking 10+ more shots per game than Shaq. Physically he had peaked then, but skill and mentally, he had more growth to do. I don’t recall him posting up much back then either.