Stanford Professor: The Workplace is killing us and nobody cares

Laidbackman

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I talking to the tenure prof right, we real cool so he broke it down and told me all the prof that are tenure get over 100k a year. They don't even have to be teacher more then one class a semester.
I have a buddy who did this at Howard University and University of Maryland off and on, but he never said he had it like this. I guess he wasn't tenure. I think he was tapping some of those girls too, although he was married. Knowing him, I'm pretty sure he tapped at least one of those Howard girls. Anyway, he had gotten a law degree years ago right after his BS, and wounded up selling cars for a while. Then he started doing different jobs, including a professor, and finally started working in a legal firm.

There must be certain requirements for being a professor who is tenure, otherwise he'd still be doing that I.m sure, and ready to collect lifetime benefits and a pension, instead off working for a law firm in the private sector, and depending on his 401K for retirement. I don't think the brother been right since. Then again, speaking in front of an audience was never really his thing.

Last edited:

Mr.Plan B

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a buddy who did this at Howard University and University of Maryland off and on, but he never said he had it like this. I guess he wasn't tenure. I think he was tapping some of those girls too, although he was married. Knowing him, I'm pretty sure he tapped at least one of those Howard girls. Anyway, he had gotten a law degree years ago right after his BS, and wounded up selling cars for a while. Then he started doing different jobs, including a professor, and finally started working in a legal firm.

There must be certain requirements for being a professor who is tenure, otherwise he'd still be doing that I.m sure, and ready to collect lifetime benefits and a pension, instead off working for a law firm in the private sector, and depending on his 401K for retirement. I don't think the brother been right since. Then again, speaking in front of an audience was never really his thing.

The most of the time they start you as a professor long as you got a MBA, second they give you 7 years to get your doctorate degree which supposed to take 5 years or some shyt. Hell if the university really fukk with you they pay for it. Then after you get the doctorate you teach for about 5 more years then boom you tenure.... Aka set for life.

Hardest Since MC Ren

Kizz My Black Azz
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is so true...

I just passed out the new insurance enrollment packs for the new year

And you should have seen the looks on the faces of these 12$ hour production workers when they found out they would have to now pay 415$ per pay period for insurance If they chose the family plan 3 or more family members (man.. Woman.. Child)

In a three week pay period month that equals roughly to 1,200$
:mjcry:
:duck:

12$ per hr?
After taxes,that's how they take home if not less

Laidbackman

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
The most of the time they start you as a professor long as you got a MBA, second they give you 7 years to get your doctorate degree which supposed to take 5 years or some shyt. Hell if the university really fukk with you they pay for it. Then after you get the doctorate you teach for about 5 more years then boom you tenure.... Aka set for life.
I think my buddy is still paying back his student loan for that law degree. Some I know getting a doctorate degree was out the question, plus he would have been looking for more pay with a doctorate. But when people with all those degrees reach their early retirement age, they realize they should have went for that just above average salary with benefits.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
i start at 8 and i leave at 4, never stay a min later than I have to

Thankfully I have benefits, a pension and 4 weeks vacation still it sucks abeg

futureDevelopment

~crackin windshields~
Daps
From the disappearance of good health insurance to the psychological effects of long hours, the modern workplace is taking its toll on all of us.

Jeffrey Pfeffer has an ambitious aspiration for the book he released earlier this year. “I want this to be the Silent Spring of workplace health,” says Pfeffer, a professor of organizational behavior at Stanford Graduate School of Business. “We are harming both company performance and individual well-being, and this needs to be the clarion call for us to stop. There is too much damage being done.”

Dying for a Paycheck, published by HarperBusiness, maps a range of ills in the modern workplace–from the disappearance of good health insurance to the psychological effects of long hours and work-family conflict–and how these are killing people.

Here’s a fascinating Q&A with the author:

I was struck by the story of Robert Chapman, CEO of Barry-Wehmiller, standing in front of 1,000 other CEOs and saying, “You are the cause of the healthcare crisis.”

Jeffrey Pfeffer: It’s true. He takes three points and puts them together. The first point, which is consistent with data reported by the World Economic Forum and other sources, is that an enormous percentage of the health care cost burden in the developed world, and in particular in the U.S., comes from chronic disease–things like diabetes and cardiovascular and circulatory disease. You begin with that premise: A large fraction–some estimates are 75 percent–of the disease burden in the U.S. is from chronic diseases.

Second, there is a tremendous amount of epidemiological literature that suggests that diabetes, cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome—and many health-relevant individual behaviors such as overeating and underexercising and drug and alcohol abuse–come from stress.

And third, there is a large amount of data that suggests the biggest source of stress is the workplace. So that’s how Chapman can stand up and make the statement that CEOs are the cause of the health care crisis: You are the source of stress, stress causes chronic disease, and chronic disease is the biggest component of our ongoing and enormous health care costs.

read the rest here

Stanford professor: “The workplace is killing people and nobody cares”

After 400 years of this shyt, we don't have brains enough to vote for universal health care, free higher education and other stuff that will help us get ourselves out from under?

Then maybe we deserve the bullshyt.

Call yourself a "king" but never a "sovereign", brehs.

"King" is fantasy. "Sovereign" is actually within reach -- if you have the education that will get you there and a good safety net when you take flight, like universal health care.

futureDevelopment

~crackin windshields~
Daps
The pervasive way work takes over your/our self ID is where a lot of this stems from. You are what you do, therefore you have every incentive to please your job/employer, because you are establishing and confirming your own ID. Plus, things like humans are wired to take pleasure in meeting and setting small goals, which hits the pleasure sensors. A job usually sets a series of completable tasks to finish, you are rewarded for these, daily.

The thing is, there are few alternatives. And, little time to think of these things, if you are working a 60 hour work week, with emails and constant demands.

Plus most bosses are bullies. Being bullied affects your hormones and mental state.

futureDevelopment

~crackin windshields~
Daps
This is the nonsense that corporate executives sell to you to keep you around.

Work hard by creating your own path

A man can never drink his fill by waiting in line for the tap, bruh.

Yup. Independence is a form of wealth. Don't forget to vote for universal health care, to make it easier.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
:duck:

12$ per hr?
After taxes,that's how they take home if not less

:comeon:

I'm a supervisor in my department

I know what the pay rate is for our apprentice production workers which is 12 $ an hour

Till they complete.the year and receive the evaluation and jump up to 14

Which still isn't much

This is no ducktale

This is a rural no union Georgia manufacturing plant

cheek100

Truuu
Supporter
Daps
Everybody working for somebody else eh :dame:
40 hours to a white man :picard:
Ignore this advice. Hard work is essential in any aspect of life if you want to be successful.
:myman: in my 20s I would’ve told u foh but as a successful flabby with a beautiful family, I can sho dig it. I love working hard bc I love what I do.

Baby boomer bosses ruined everything.. Gen X was supposed to snatch the throne and :camby:them out of there

These nikkas try to make office life miserable on purpose. Who told these nikkas OPEN OFFICES was a good idea? And you cant work remote on some "well Deshawn, how do I know you're getting your work done and not smoking that reefer?" FOH OLD ASS nikka JUST LOOK AT MY NUMBERS
True shyt. I’m a gen xer and i agree

Hardest Since MC Ren

Kizz My Black Azz
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:comeon:

I'm a supervisor in my department

I know what the pay rate is for our apprentice production workers which is 12 $ an hour

Till they complete.the year and receive the evaluation and jump up to 14

Which still isn't much

This is no ducktale

This is a rural no union Georgia manufacturing plant
That's their entire check going to medical insurance before taxes

Gtfoh

Hardest Since MC Ren

Kizz My Black Azz
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rural, no union, Georgia? They're probably idiot enough to vote AGAINST medicare for all... but will vote FOR tax breaks for the rich... fukk 'em.
I don't care if it's rural or not
12$ is 480 before taxes
They ain't even left with enough money to pay insurance after taxes
Who the fukk would go to work just to taxes and insurance?
:heh:

In rural America too?