Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Official Thread)

chiefdogg

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I went earlier and :yeshrug:I had no issues with it. They explained how Rey was strong with the force. I peeped the fem agenda but shyt didn't bother me at all I have 3 daughters and went with one so it was cool for her to see a female being a hero.

qwasi

Rhinestone Cowboy
Daps
How don't fans get it!! The Skywalker Lineage Existed. Its a name not a symbolic title that's inherited. Luke was alive and had the potential to have offspring. Leia had Ben Solo. His character arc is about failure, redemption and acceptance. You know Fall and Rise!! Solo already established the name is a meaningless thing, he created on the spot. How about Ben abandoning his Ben Solo phrase and accepting his place as Skywalker. Electing to embody the positive aspects of the man he'd admired. Instead of him as Darth Vader. Its one thing to be inspired and honor your inspirations, its fraudulent to claim them as yourself when you aren't. This Saga is about eliminating the past and building on the future. Why then claim names and legacy of a family you've tarnished. Why not have Rey re-brand the name Palpatine? Have her struggle against the galaxy which has been tormented by their reign of terror. Work to demonstrated people aren't their names but their actions. No that'd require an actual analysis into the Saga and force Rey to actually encounter challenge. People would have to despise her and she'd need to win their trust!! Nope, lets bypass all this by positioning her underneath the name of the renowned saviors. What makes Cinematic SW different from Comic Heroes, is that the protagonists are not a Costume. Ironman, Spiderman, Captain America etc can be replaced. What cannot is the ACTUAL person underneath the mask. Hence, why Spiderman can be examined either as Peter Parker, Miles, Gwen etc. When you remove the mask and focus on the actual person it humanizes them. Its why its heart wrenching when Luke learns Vader is his Father. Why it hurts when Anakin goes rogue. If Rey was an absolute random whom Luke endeared to like his own daughter and not another mere student, this had legs to stand on. But it isn't she has her OWN family. Obi Wan and Qui Gon had significant impact on Anakin but he doesn't decide to rename himself after them since his mother was a nobody and slave. What Rey did is the equivalent of the son of whoever killed Batman's parents calling himself a Wayne. After he beats Batman's entire rogue gallery and inherited his estate, after he ran into Bruce dying at a car crash. Effectively putting an end to Batman as we know it.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I went earlier and :yeshrug:I had no issues with it. They explained how Rey was strong with the force. I peeped the fem agenda but shyt didn't bother me at all I have 3 daughters and went with one so it was cool for her to see a female being a hero.
How was she so strong?

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
It was cool besides the predictable Kylo Ren shyt and Palpatine in general. Why and how was he in this, I checked out in all the scenes with him. I was more interested in the resistance fight than the palpatine shyt in the 3rd act

Critics are really out here say the last jedi was better than this:mjlol:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I’ve seen a few people show that movie love recently and I don’t get it. I mean if you ignore the obvious flaws (terrible acting and dialogue, way too much cartoonish CGI) and just look at the overall plot, it’s terribly convoluted with a lot of holes in it. People critiquing the Disney trilogy for its plot holes while praising the plot of Attack of the Clones is insane to me. It’s my least favorite Star Wars film and I even put the Phantom Menace Over It

Dialog was always trash in the Star Wars movies. Have you ever watched Empire of Dreams? Ford & Carrie are CTFU at Lucas' dialog ("who talks like this?"). The plot isn't convoluted at all. In protecting Padme from repeated assassination attempts, Obi Wan uncovers some crazy plot, apparently in development for 10 years. Meanwhile, Anakin is giving in to all of the emotions that he shouldn't have as a Jedi, spiraling to the Dark Side. The plot was very straightforward. There aren't any substantial plot holes. It's the acting and glossiness of it that takes the movie down a notch. I liked Clones when it dropped. I wasn't in awe, but I understood where it was going.

TFA recycled ANH plot...but to no end The Last Jedi didn't have one, and was its own separate movie, and Rise of Skywalker threw a plot together that ignored everything from the previous movie, and some from the 1st movie. You can't watch these 3 movies one after another, and get a full story. Hell, Scream did a better job of connecting their movies.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i have a list of diarrhea notes about this movie, but i'll spare you guys. i always leave a SW movie on a high (except Solo) but this is a 3.5/5 right now. This trilogy was a total mess, but for now, i liked them all enough. they keep getting worse over time though, so i expect the same from this.

... one person tempts me, i'll post my list. don't do it. do it.

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
i have a list of diarrhea notes about this movie, but i'll spare you guys. i always leave a SW movie on a high (except Solo) but this is a 3.5/5 right now. This trilogy was a total mess, but for now, i liked them all enough. they keep getting worse over time though, so i expect the same from this.

... one person tempts me, i'll post my list. don't do it. do it.

2f1179a2cc04545b08c111454cff1376.gif

Conz

Superstar
Daps
(i watched a
bootleg
and wrote notes as i went)

This is probably recency bias, but that crawl seemed really... fukkin dumb. The dead speak!

Adam Driver really is a goofy looking fukker. I have no clue how old he’s supposed to be in this series. Is he a “kid” or is he 43?

I just, man, I really didn’t want Palpatine to show up in this trilogy. This idea seems so mailed in already. fukk Snoke so hard in his a$$hole.

This trilogy should have had a new Chewie adjacent alien/lead character. Rey and Poe are basically knockoffs of Luke and Han, BB-8 is R2, where the fukk is the alien representation?

Is this Poe’s first time meeting Chewy? Has Poe even met Rey? His arc has been a blur.

Hey, here are some new aliens. Klaud is beautiful. Guy in other shyt looks like shytty prequel CGI.

Lightspeed skipping is dope. This Falcon flight feels like vintage SW.

Rey’s wire work looks like shyt.

People weren’t kidding about this one jumping around like crazy. Jeez.

Oh, Rey and Poe got beef or something.

Every scene they’ve ever done where someone addresses the Rebels has been bad, but man is this Poe scene bad. Expository garbage that they definitely wrote and just said “fukk em, they have to accept it.” Hey, it’s Charlie from Drive Shaft! Rose Ticoooo!!!

Mazzzzz Kanaaaaataaaaaaa. Lol @ “Exicle” or whatever. That name sucks.

Remember when those neckbeards had the GoFundMe to remake The Last Jedi? This 100% feels like it so far.

Poor Rose. JJ didn’t like you either. Nice to see this crew finally become an actual crew though. Bring r2, you c*nts.

This Rey/Leia mother daughter/Mentor stuff is unearned as fukk.

Oh boy, the fabled Knights of Ren. I imagine they won’t be wasted… Hopefully the elusive Constable Zoovio (?) shows up too! Almost forgot Kylo had a badass helmet. Want that space chimp who fixed it to get a Disney+ series.

Oh shyt, they got my bad cgi guy’s head.

Kylo Ren is 200x better with a helmet.

Lando meeting Chewy is “Chewy we’re home” levels of “feels” as the shytty kids say.

Now THIS is podracing! This scene was clearly drawn up as Endor speeder bike chase meets podracing. Cool… I guess?

JJ Abrams’s buddy Snap Whackoff or whatever is fat as fukk these days

3PO is kinda funny. I’m actually kinda happy to see him. Used to hate that dude.

Wouldn’t be SW without a friggin giant worm or a squid thing…

Yeah, this healing power fukkin sucks. This is the “oh yeah, Leia can fly” moment of the movie right here, and I know it’s gonna be a big part of the 3rd act… Baby Yoda has that shyt, that’s gonna be the tie-in.

I still don’t actually understand the Rey and Kylo dynamic. They hate each other but love each other b/c… force…? He’s trying to kill her, but doesn’t want to kill her, but does…

Christ, Rey palpatine lightning, Chewy obvious death fakeout…

An abused Droid, where’s Rose when you need her?

Babu Frick 4 Lyfe

Babu fukkin Frick is all I want from this shyt. Maybe I’m the problem with Star Wars “fandom.” These movies have lacked little things like that.

Never understood how the guns could kill the Stormtroopers while leaving no hole in their armor. Poe just got shot in the arm. He’s fine.

New General guy sucks. The Hux twist made me laugh out loud. “I’m the spy.” They’re just retconning random shyt. I wanna like this but then shyt like this keeps happening.

“You’re his granddaughter.” Now I know how people felt when Vader said he was Luke’s father. … …

This all coming back to Palpatine is killing any buzz I have.

How can we resurrect the Finn character? Say he was force sensitive the whole time!

Dark Rey is sexy as fukk.

Leia’s death was horrible… but I guess there wasn’t much they coulda done. She shoulda just died between movies.

They made these movies heavily reliant on the old big 3, and all 3 of them had really lame deaths.

This both feels like the shortest and longest movie ever made.

Jesus, why can’t they CGI Carrie Fisher? That’s two movies now where they made the most uncanny valley ass Leia possible. Playstation 2 shyt.

Doesn’t the entire notion of force ghosts make most of this saga pointless? Jedi just live on. Who cares about the journey?

Charlie just said “Holdo maneuver” lol

fukkin Nien Nub or whatever just chilling and we don’t get to see him and Lando yuck it up? Come on.

This fukkin Emperor shyt. This dude is nothing without Vader.

Rey giving Ben the saber was dope, son.

Ah, Snap.
They kiilled that fat b*stard.

Dude keeps talking about the return of the Sith. I didn’t even realize the Sith had gone anywhere.

Did they really just fukkin “And I am Ironman” this shyt?

Finn being force sensitive is so ridiculous. They really didn’t know what the fukk the plan was in the first 2 movies. What a shame.

Kiss of death. And then the lesbian kiss, ha.

Let’s make them think black girl is Lando’s relative! ... but he also wants to fukk her maybe?

When did BB-8 go from being Poe’s to being Rey’s? ah, who cares?

I mean, I’m not exactly being original here, but this really was:

Episode 7: The Force Awakens

Episode 8: fukk the Force Awakens

Episode 9: Hey, fukk you, remember the Force Awakens?

3.5/5 felt a little hollow b/c the lack of overall direction. I get a high whenever I watch a Star Wars movie, so I’m sure this will have diminishing returns. I liked it. I always do. I thought Attack of the Clones was fukkin awesome when I first saw it. I’ll watch this new trilogy when they all come on Disney + next year and see if it’s as big a mess as it seems.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
How was she so strong?
She is Palatine's granddaughter. Apparently they want act like Palatines familial line is similar to the Skywalkers where they are extremely powerful with the force. Except...Palatines son was a scrub so clearly even that is kinda bullshyt.