Starting a new career at 30...Good idea or nah?

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
So I'm about to turn 30 soon-ish, and I'm getting ready to jump out of my current career in management (making 60K).
I've never had a passion for my current career and every day is a hassle.
I want to get into programming, not just for the money, but because there seems to numerous job opportunities all over the country AND the world. I like to create things and it seems that it's a dynamic field, constantly changing, which interests me. I'm just worried about being at the bottom of the totem pole and having a bunch of young whippersnappers being more proficient than me :old:

Has anyone changed changed careers later in life? What was it like? Did you have to humble yourself getting into a new field and making less?

Specifically for software dev brehs, how long does it take to become a 'good' or 'decent' developer? How are n00bs in the field treated? I'm seriously considering doing this, so any help you brehs may able to provide would be great

Check out these results
Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2016 Results

Average age 29, breh.

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
Doing it right now at 35.

Going to school at a C.C. right now. Was bullshytting for so long not knowing what to do I realized that I'm a math class away from three A.A. Degrees. I'm working on that plus getting a cert in Purchasing . The school I'm going to has a program for it. Been very interested in becoming a buyer for a while now.

Hopefully this can open more doors for me before the end of this year :win: