STRETCH,DUDES,S-T-R-E-T-C-H!

thekyuke

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've noticed many times as soon as dudes jump out of their street clothes,warmup and throw weights,few if any stretch. Major mistake! The thing is as you get stronger and sit down all day your stronger tighter hams pull your lower spine down causing pelvic tilt-this causes the lower back pain endemic in 30 smth year old gym rats.

Flexibility exercises,ie stretching avoids this
images

One unknown advantage of stretching is improved lymph flow. Unlike blood which is pumped by the heart lymphatic fluid lack a pump;only deep breathing,massage and specifically stretching gets it flowing. Lymphatic fluid prevents infection as it fights disease causing microbes, so better flexibility via stretching is a win-win.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I did yoga once, but I felt great immediately after, like I could lift more or jump higher or run faster.. no idea why I dont do it more often :yeshrug:

Im 27, just got my first real massage as well..

I hear (dont know if this is true) you should get a real massage once a month and do yoga once a week. Sounds about right to me though

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
I did yoga once, but I felt great immediately after, like I could lift more or jump higher or run faster.. no idea why I dont do it more often :yeshrug:

I hear (dont know if this is true) you should get a real massage once a month and do yoga once a week. Sounds about right to me though
What kinda massage?
How much was it?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

Massages are :noah:

Especially once you find the right masseuse

HoustonHeat

In and out
Daps
Reppin
Houston
If you really want to get the lymphatic system going, you have to use a rebounder for about 10 mins a day. Jump roping or jumping in place will not provide the lymphatic pumping you need.
urban-rebounder.jpg

I used to have a monthly massage membership for two years due to frequent shoulder and upper back soreness.
I started going to a gentle yoga class once a week, and within a few months, I no longer needed massages and cancelled the membership.
It's crazy what can happen when you let your body heal itself.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Man I get out of class at 3:00 and basketball gym open runs start AT 3:00. Usually we have enough to play so everyone is like,"Let's go as soon as I come in."

I be like "Damn let me stretch and loosen up!" :damn:

I usually spend the first game getting warm. Which isn't too bad because at least it's dynamic rather than static. :ehh:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
What kinda massage?
How much was it?

Free :youngsabo: ol girl works as a masseuse at a nice spot in SF :youngsabo: but the massage happen to be relocated more towards my residence :youngsabo:

if you catch my drift :youngsabo:

I think Yoga did more for me that 1 time than the massage though. The massage felt great while it was happening, while Yoga at times hurt like a bytch (I have horrible posture and of course having no real stretching or massages my body is all knotted up) I felt like a new damn man immediately after Yoga.. it was weird.. I worked out BEFORE Yoga, and after I did Yoga I wanted to work out again :heh: I hopped out the class like :obama: fukk it lets go run or something :obama:

no idea why I dont keep doing it honestly..

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
I've been stretching before every workout now and its helped so much. Its one of those things people don't really stress when you first start working out, which really fukks with lifts in the future.

Admittedly, my squats form was complete shyt cause my hammys and hips were always tight. Been stretching starting this summer after some back pain started flaring up, and now I get no pain whatsoever, plus I'm going low as hell when I squat.:youngsabo:

My friend went down recently cause his flexibility is so :trash: he was squatting 305 and deadlifted heavy a few weeks back, and he's been MIA from the gym since then.

Stretch, brehs.

AJW

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Berkshire, England
Been doing it for about a year now before and after my sessions and even at home sometimes after or before i shower. Body feels great, I've grown, all lifts have improve, moods improved, intensity and focus in the gym has improved. I don't think it's a coincidence that it's had such a great affect on me and my training. Took me 3 years of lifting to smarten up but constantly learning in this game and this journey! I'm still hesitant to cardio (mainly because I'm lazy and don't enjoy it) but it's the same thing with stretching, I couldn't be bothered and didn't enjoy it but now I love and swear by it. That feel after a hard session stretching out :wow:

SPACE IS FAKE

Say No To NASA!
Daps
I've been stretching before every workout now and its helped so much. Its one of those things people don't really stress when you first start working out, which really fukks with lifts in the future.

Admittedly, my squats form was complete shyt cause my hammys and hips were always tight. Been stretching starting this summer after some back pain started flaring up, and now I get no pain whatsoever, plus I'm going low as hell when I squat.:youngsabo:

My friend went down recently cause his flexibility is so :trash: he was squatting 305 and deadlifted heavy a few weeks back, and he's been MIA from the gym since then.

Stretch, brehs.

i suffer from the same ailments tight hammies and hips. whats your stretching routine?

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
i suffer from the same ailments tight hammies and hips. whats your stretching routine?

-I always start off with the lunge stretch for both legs.
-Go on to touch your toes for each leg separately, and then finally reach for them together.
-Butterfly stretch
-In the figure 4 position, I pull on the knee I have up inwards, you should feel it in a specific area of your glute. Do this for each side.
-Again, in the figure 4 position, I just do the figure 4 piriformis stretch for good measure, for both sides.

After that, I just stand up, reach for my toes, stretch out my calves, and then stand on one leg while holding the other.

It's a bit of a routine especially for people who don't really have the patience to do it (most of my friends), but doing this shyt before every workout has completely eliminated my back pain.

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
Been doing yoga for a few years now and it is easily the best form of exercise I do. I preach it in this section all the time. Nothing has helped me more not just with flexibility but balance as well. It trains you to distribute your weight and power evenly throughout your body starting with core. @itsyoung!! Is right about feeling great after yoga. You come out completely relaxed. If you are consistent with it mostly all your pains go away. Also yoga is not easy. There are times when I'm sweating more after yoga then when I play basketball.

TheArchitect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I stretch, but it's mostly my hips (I plan on getting back into Muay Thai in the 3 months or so)....

jilla82

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
the internet
nahhh...I warm up w/ the bar...but I dont do all those unnecessary stretches.

I see cats jump in the squat rack...and stretch for like 10 minutes looking goofy as hell...and of course they end up squatting 135 :comeon:
I think some of these dudes just like looking like they are about to fukk shyt up.
I never had a problem from not stretching.

Warm up, lift..and hop on the foam roller afterwards.