Student Debt Crisis

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Let's not even get into the psychological damage that comes from the stress of owing that much money.

But that's how the system can keep everyone in check. :yeshrug:

Very true. It makes you pursue jobs and career paths just for the money, not because you'd enjoy that path.

Makes you think twice about buying a house. Makes you think about the debt of your potential wife or husband.

It really changes the trajectory of your life.

Oh. And let's not even begin to talk about how it limits Black people from pursuing entrepreneurship.

Most people aren't going to invest in a new business idea if they're already forking out $1000 per month for a student loan.

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
I won't say my number.

What I will highlight is this Income Based Repayment plan : FinAid | Loans | Repayment Plans | Income-Based Repayment

Keeping me afloat for now....:ohlawd:

Oh but I'll be paying for 25 years....:laugh:

I have no credit card/car/house debt...probably not a good thing....:pachaha: But I feel comfortable knowing that all my shyt is federal government.

there's lots of plans out there for preventing student loan default. IBR i believe helps people with low incomes, then i think it adjusts about every 2 years based on your income. For 25 years though, jesus the interest you paying is crazy.

Sound like you're income aint where you want it to be, get seriously grinding man, pay that loan off ASAP before getting into other stuff like buying a house.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Link to that thread? It's the fukking truth they will help nikkas in jail before nikkas in college smh

Breh, the Black immediate and extended families will put money on a nikka's books in prison and have him setup with a car, place to stay, new clothes, fresh p*ssy, etc. when he is released.

But, when it comes to a nikka's college tuition and books, everyone is like :mjpls: and :usure:. "You're on your own, my nikka. :ufdup:. Nobody told you to go to college. I didn't. :yeshrug:"

But, then you're thinking, "You've never been to prison, breh, yet you're putting money on Ray Ray's books! :dahell:"

Last edited:

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
Easy, private colleges w/out-of-state tuition, ParentPlus Loans, and rising costs of facilities spirals out of control pretty handily. Academia has demonized the working class/blue collar worker in the States for at least the last 50+ years. I have friends who did Med School and Law School who have mortgage-sized loans combined (200K+)....they realize they won't be balling out of control until they hit their 40s or make partner/etc.

This is modern-day serfdom at its finest, the common folk are sold the allusion of a middle-class lifestyle by merely completing a 4-year program (really now Grad too in many cases). Undergrad 30K + Grad 30K + Interest + Deferment easily puts someone from 60K to 80/90K due to interest. Government/Banks provide the loan, college gets 100% profit from the loan, and the student gets stuck with the bill. Can they pay it off? Maybe, but not likely as many will go into the grist mill of the current workforce without any prep or XP. From there they will go to the trap of Grad School to gain a further academic advantage and tack on more debt....

So, we are painfully learning your average 18-year old is opting to do Grad School and come out with 100K worth of loans, in their late twenties, with no realistic job prospects outside of being in the service industry (Starbucks, Micky D's, etc)...Schools don't see you as "new leaders of the world", they see you as a SSN and $$$.

The real crux of the problem are parents encouraging their children to attend colleges no matter the cost for "the experiences we had in our day", but they often forget college tuition in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, could realistically be paid working part-time at a hotdog stand.

This ultimately has a devastating effect on the new generation as they will unable to:
- Pay back 40K-200K worth of loans within a reasonable timeframe
- Begin their careers in a field relative to their major
- Have spending power
- Be completely independent
- Begin or support families

You thought Bernie Madoff was bad? Huh, he's got nothing on colleges....

Yup, again my example the child got 240+k going out of state to a private college. 240k+ for just a bachelors. In music. Now that person stayed with the parents for a bit, just to save up enough to move to California smh. With no job lined up:snoop:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I know a Baylor grad with

$125,:mjcry::mjcry::mjcry:.:mjcry::mjcry:

worth of student loans.

Might have mentioned this before...but I know a chick who got I think 150k in student loans, from some random private university in florida...i think Miami...because she really wanted to go for whatever reason and she TURNED down a full ride scholarship from another college...

Got a job working in a sprint call center after graduating...was barely making enough money to cover her student debt...

Ended up going crazy behind it and checking into a mental institution for awhile...

Damn telling this story just randomly reminded me how many people I know or have met who ended up mental institutions...:ohhh:

My wife brought this up to me the other day :ohhh:...it probably says something about me :jbhmm:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Breh, the Black immediate and extended families will put money on a nikka's books in prison and have him setup with a car, new clothes, fresh p*ssy, etc. when he is released.

But, when it comes to a nikka's tuition, everyone is like :mjpls: and :usure:. "You're on your own, my nikka. :ufdup:. Nobody told you to go to college. I didn't. :yeshrug:"
I'm :mjlol: because it's unfortunately true:mjcry:. I have the G.I. Bill so I don't have any student loans but I see a lot of people stressing about it. The jacked up thing is its nearly impossible to have the debt forgiven even with bankruptcy.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I mean it's definitely risky, but for every horror story there is someone who took out loans and has advanced in their career. :yeshrug: But the issue is the price of colleges, they're too damn expensive.

The problem is there are WAY more horror stories than people who advanced their careers...

Like I always say...a degree itself is always :patrice:

If you ask a teenager...do you want to go to college...virtually every one of them in the world is going to say yes...

But if you ask a teenager...do you want to spend four to six years studying for a sheet of paper...that unless you get a scholarship or financial aid will cause you to run up thousands of dollars in debt....tens of thousands of dollars in debt...possibly HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars in debt...all before you are old enough to legally drink alcohol...and their is absolutely no guarantee this piece of paper they give you at the end will help your job prospects in any way...i think most would say something between no and let me think about it...

shyt if I had my life to do over again I would not even risk being as lucky as I am to be where I am in my career now...I'd just got straight into being an electrician right after I graduated high school...

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps

benjamin

Veteran
Daps
Sign a salaried employment contract and then come talk to me lil guy :mjlol:

Even with a $200/ month loan payment I'm still coming home with 3 times as much as you make an hour :blessed:

:russ: broke fuk boy...nikka come talk to me when you debt free :mjlol:...ol i owe 100k but im rich ass nikka :russ::russ: take out student loans and brag about having money :mjlol:

gKqNY.gif

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
:russ: broke fuk boy...nikka come talk to me when you debt free :mjlol:...ol i owe 100k but im rich ass nikka :russ::russ: take out student loans and brag about having money :mjlol:

gKqNY.gif
I'm about 3 months from being debt free.

5 digits in my savings

401k and money management accounts doing okay.

And I earn in the high 5 digits

If my LLC gets popping I can quit my job

Whatever makes you feel better though. Negros on here bragging about 27/hr wages. I kind of feel bad for you, especially with your overcompensating.

No matter how hard they laugh in that goodfellas gif, I will ALWAYS be higher on the food chain then you :ld:

benjamin

Veteran
Daps
I'm about 3 months from being debt free.

5 digits in my savings

401k and money management accounts doing okay.

And I earn in the high 5 digits

If my LLC gets popping I can quit my job

Whatever makes you feel better though. Negros on here bragging about 27/hr wages. I kind of feel bad for you, especially with your overcompensating.

No matter how hard they laugh in that goodfellas gif, I will ALWAYS be higher on the food chain then you :ld:

broke ass nikka

:mjlol: pay yo debts before fukking wit me...debt free gang...run up :birdman: