Sugar Ray Robinson in his prime or Floyd Mayweather Jr

Daps
Mayweather is a lot like James Toney, James Toney just had no will power or discipline if he had of stayed at middleweight he would of been one of the best defensive fights he just did not have the natural ability that Floyd has.

I agree with @ColeCash that Ray was greedy and people had a lot of bad to say about him , but I still look back at the fact that he fought Maxim damn near dead when essentially Ezzard Charles was the only man who was willing to fight Maxim and Robinson wasn't even in his weight class.

Ray Robinson did everything fantastic and when brought with trainers and people inside the game the thoughts are Ray Robinson is who you ought to fight like.

Floyd is a savant of the game and has amazing defense, but as addressed Vernon Forrest after the first Mosley fight should of fought him. I can not equate Floyd to Ray Robinson since he is so unwilling to move up in weight to face someone in their prime like Robinson.

Last edited by a moderator:

tnprince1005

Rookie
Daps
Mayweather is a lot like James Toney, James Toney just had no will power or discipline if he had of stayed at middleweight he would of been one of the best defensive fights he just did not have the natural ability that Floyd has.

Floyd is a savant of the game and has amazing defense, but as addressed Vernon Forrest after the first Mosley fight should of fought him. I can not equate Floyd to Ray Robinson since he is so unwilling to move up in weight to face someone in their prime like Robinson.

Yup I agree, here James Toney talks about his style and where it came from:

For Toney, a win over Peter could quell frustrations - boxing - ESPN

The skills that Toney displays -- the ability to stand directly in front of a fighter and still make him miss through subtle feints and shoulder rolls; the counter right hand/left hook, Toney's signature combination, delivered from the blind side behind his shoulder; the way in which he almost invariably draws an opponent into fighting his game plan -- are all tricks he learned from his first trainer in Detroit's fabled Kronk Gym when Toney turned pro back in 1988.

"Bill Miller, he was a great old man, he sat me down and showed me tapes of old fighters," Toney recalled. "Ezzard Charles, Albert 'Chalky' Wright. Battling Siki. People like that. Jersey Joe Walcott. Archie Moore. He would say, 'This is how you learn. This is the correct way of fighting.' So I would sit there and watch tapes over and over again, and try those things in the gym, and I would get murdered. But I kept coming back, kept coming back, kept working, kept learning my trade. And then one day it was like each of those fighter's spirits entered my body and made me fight like that."

This is why not too many fighters are doing it, the Shoulder Roll is not easy to pull off. Floyd's a natural of course he's gonna make it look easy, but too say he came up with that style of fighting is f*** stupid.

And yeah, I remeber Uncle Roger saying Vernon Forrest wouldve gave Floyd problems and most likely wouldve beaten Floyd had they fought.

Another fighter Floyd probabley ducked :mindblown:

nalej

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Seatown
I'd pick Floyd cause of all the technological advancements he gets over SRR from training equipment to supplements.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Yup I agree, here James Toney talks about his style and where it came from:

For Toney, a win over Peter could quell frustrations - boxing - ESPN

The skills that Toney displays -- the ability to stand directly in front of a fighter and still make him miss through subtle feints and shoulder rolls; the counter right hand/left hook, Toney's signature combination, delivered from the blind side behind his shoulder; the way in which he almost invariably draws an opponent into fighting his game plan -- are all tricks he learned from his first trainer in Detroit's fabled Kronk Gym when Toney turned pro back in 1988.

"Bill Miller, he was a great old man, he sat me down and showed me tapes of old fighters," Toney recalled. "Ezzard Charles, Albert 'Chalky' Wright. Battling Siki. People like that. Jersey Joe Walcott. Archie Moore. He would say, 'This is how you learn. This is the correct way of fighting.' So I would sit there and watch tapes over and over again, and try those things in the gym, and I would get murdered. But I kept coming back, kept coming back, kept working, kept learning my trade. And then one day it was like each of those fighter's spirits entered my body and made me fight like that."

This is why not too many fighters are doing it, the Shoulder Roll is not easy to pull off. Floyd's a natural of course he's gonna make it look easy, but too say he came up with that style of fighting is f*** stupid.

And yeah, I remeber Uncle Roger saying Vernon Forrest wouldve gave Floyd problems and most likely wouldve beaten Floyd had they fought.

Another fighter Floyd probabley ducked :mindblown:
Forrest would of towered over Floyd..who knows. Just like Hearns would have but Hearns has,much better speed than Forrest.

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
People really think SRR would beat Floyd :what::why::dahell: bearing in mind many of you have never seen the man fight