Sugar Ray Robinson was 40-0 when he lost to Jake LaMotta

Mars

Superstar
Daps
Fight went the distance. If the Mafia really wanted it he would've dived.

There is more than one way to take a dive.....You can get knocked out early, get knocked out late, or carry a fighter for 12 rds...... J.Lamotta threw a fight for the mafia, so anything is possible.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you go look at Mike Tyson’s boxrec page, from March 6, 1985 to December 27, 1985, he fought 15 times.

I’m not sure when this trend started slowing down but it wasn’t long ago that boxers fought frequently.

I’m sure once you become a champion things slow down.

@krackdagawd could you speak on this?

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
ALL SPORTS

TESTOSTERONE LEVELS IN MEN IS DWINDLING WIT EACH GENERATION

LOOK IT UP

EASY TO SEE THE ENTIRE WORLD IS BECOMIN GAYER BY THE DAY

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
If you go look at Mike Tyson’s boxrec page, from March 6, 1985 to December 27, 1985, he fought 15 times.

I’m not sure when this trend started slowing down but it wasn’t long ago that boxers fought frequently.

Reggie Strickland and Peter Buckley from the UK who fought from the late 80's thru to the mid to late 00's. Strickland fought 363 times Buckley retired on 300 fights. Strickland in his penultimate year 2004 fought 18 times. Buckley 2 years before he retired fought 21 times.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal

When you are coming up and making a name it’s easy to make quick matches against jobbers. Once your fights become big business you are forced to fight less because promoters gotta promote and make sure they getting their money back and then some, contracts need to be negotiated because now you fighting guys who get a bigger piece of the pie, ppv etc.

Short answer is money :heh:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Boxers having fewer fights just comes down to money. Heavyweight champs before Joe Louis generally defended their titles very scarcely. Jack Dempsey would get a lot of money in exhibitions, so he had a small number of title defenses for the length of time he has HW champ.

Joe Louis was very active in how often he defended his HW title, but he was a rarity. Other champs in the 40s and 50s fought very often while champion, but most were non-title bouts.

A couple of champs in the 90s who were like that were James Toney and Julio Cesar Chavez. They were extremely active in both title and non-title bouts. I think that may have been by design by their management, as they wanted to keep Toney active because he otherwise would get really fat and out-of-shape. And Chavez partied heavily and had a drinking problem, so maybe his management figured it was best to try to keep him as active as possible.