Sugar Ray Robinson was 40-0 when he lost to Jake LaMotta

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you go look at Mike Tyson’s boxrec page, from March 6, 1985 to December 27, 1985, he fought 15 times.

I’m not sure when this trend started slowing down but it wasn’t long ago that boxers fought frequently.

I’m sure once you become a champion things slow down.

@krackdagawd could you speak on this?

Tyson was a youngster establishing himself at the time. Even in modern times, fighters fight much more frequently when they are trying to build a record. Once they become contenders/champions and face top competition in each fight, they fight only a few times each year. That was true even of Tyson.

What was remarkable about SRR and other oldtimers was that they fought frequently even while facing top competition.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Tyson was a youngster establishing himself at the time. Even in modern times, fighters fight much more frequently when they are trying to build a record. Once they become contenders/champions and face top competition in each fight, they fight only a few times each year. That was true even of Tyson.

What was remarkable about SRR and other oldtimers was that they fought frequently even while facing top competition.
But even now, some top up and coming fighters have a hard time getting fights because potential opponents want to keep their record unblemished.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
I'm glad they don't fight as much now.

Boxing is a sport, an art, and a science but its not something that should be done to many times a year Just for a check.

The sport has evolved

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps

Because no one knew, or gave a shyt, about concussions or brain damage.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Because no one knew, or gave a shyt, about concussions or brain damage.

They knew, they just didn’t really care.

When they’d see a brain damaged boxer, they’d go “oh he’s punch drunk”.

Hell, Robinson killed a guy (Jimmy Doyle) in the ring.

Last edited:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
I just read the phrase "pound-for-pound" was created because of him.

Ray popularized the term.

I was on a boxing forum awhile ago and some people were doing research regarding the origins of the p4p term. Writers (Grantland Rice among them) had used the term before for other boxers, but SRR helped popularize the term to the point where it’s basically synonymous with him.

And he has the first 'entourage' in sports.

He kept a dwarf around because he felt it helped keep him in a better mood :mjlol:

31mjx4c0y3d41.jpg

boxing-sugar-ray-robinson.jpg

Mars

Superstar
Daps
They knew, they just didn’t really care.

When they’d see a brain damaged boxer, they’d go “oh he’s punch drunk”.

Hell, Robinson killed a guy (Jimmy Doyle) in the ring.

Yeah, Jimmy Doyle was destined to die at a young age.....He had already fought 53 times by the age of 22...That's 53 fights in 6 years.......The California state boxing commission would not sanction him to fight after he suffered some brutal knockouts.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, Jimmy Doyle was destined to die at a young age.....He had already fought 53 times by the age of 22...That's 53 fights in 6 years.......The California state boxing commission would not sanction him to fight after he suffered some brutal knockouts.

Starting at 16 and having 9 fights a year…..Think of how many hits he took in sparring too, and in the amateurs.

There was the infamous Emile Griffith-Kid Paret 3 fight, when Paret called the gay Emile a “maricon” and Emile ended up killing him in the fight. 3 months before that tragedy, Paret took a bad beating in the ring against Gene Fullmer. One of those documentaries said people felt that he was already seriously damaged from the Fullmer fight.

I can’t recommend the documentary After the Last Round enough