Suggestions for American Black culture?

Slangtonomo

Formerly Slang Dussain Ali
Daps
Reppin
www.weohh.com
I feel a big part of your culture are things that are unique to your group. This is difficult because we fall under the American umbrella, yet we're not treated like other American's.

So what are some things unique or originating with American Blacks? Even if they've been coopted by cacs, if we fathered it we may have claim to it.

Again, I know it's difficult due to us being the b*stard children, but I'd like to see what we got.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I don't think has anything to do with originality..since we are all human..we think and do of similar things...but I will add some things

The politics of equality...

The double consciousness theory

And we made the USA what it is...so...that's something...:yeshrug:

Supper

All Star
Daps
Pretty every American musical genre, for starters. Most dance forms that are US-born. A number of musical instruments. Southern-cuisine in American is basically African-American food.

And plenty of other folk/rootsy stuff dealing with religion like hoodoo, voodoo, wudu, and even the way Christianity is practiced. Also quilting, basket weaving, story telling(which evolved into spoken word) old home building styles.

Creole languages- Geechee, LA creole, Afro-Semiole, Negro-Dutch(extinct); English dialect- AAVE

Cowboy culture is a creole culture of which African-Americans/African slaves in the US played a big part in shaping.

Last edited:

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
I feel a big part of your culture are things that are unique to your group. This is difficult because we fall under the American umbrella, yet we're not treated like other American's.

So what are some things unique or originating with American Blacks? Even if they've been coopted by cacs, if we fathered it we may have claim to it.

Again, I know it's difficult due to us being the b*stard children, but I'd like to see what we got.

soul food....
seasoning food..( In america)
hiphop (rap, break dancing)
360 waves, tapers, cornrows, braids
jazz, blues, r&b
grind dancing

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Black Folk Artist and Hoodoo/Rootwork are everything to me.

Here are just a couple out of the thousands of Black Folk Artist.

Clementine Hunter: Collection | American Folk Art Museum
6ff543b6298e859d147b6a0e4b2b3621--clementine-gordon.jpg

Bill Traylor: Bill Traylor
bill-traylor-from-ArtDaily-dot-org.jpg

William H. Johnson: William H. Johnson
1967.59.981_1a.jpg

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Book Recommendations:
The Souls of Black Folk
Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
Soul Thieves: The Appropriation and Misrepresentation of African American Popular Culture

African American Experience: Black History and Culture Through Speeches, Letters, Editorials, Poems, Songs, and Stories

Website Recommendations:
Search results from Digital Collections - you can hear audio, see pictures, read books all about Black people in American from Slavery beyond.
Alan Lomax collection is priceless:
About this Collection - Alan Lomax Collection
Search results from Alan Lomax Collection, United States
Zora Neale Hurston: https://www.loc.gov/search/?in=&q=zora+neale+hurston&new=true - rare recordings of Black people talking, singing, etc.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Are there traditions and customs we can list as our culture?

It's so many - I would say this really has to do with your family as well. If you had your elders and Grandparents and Great Grandparents in your life.

You should also visit the National Museum of African American History and Culture
National Museum of African American History and Culture photos

But, general:

- Jumping The Broom and "Crossing Sticks"

- Sunday Dinners

- Repast and Funeral Services: The Disappearance of a Distinctively Black Way to Mourn

- Handclapping Games and Playground Games:
Games Black Girls Play
Miss Mary Mack and African American Cultural Survival

- Lift Every Voice And Sing: Black American National Anthem

African American quilting
The Electric Slide & Soul Train line at every function
Pictures with Black Santa
Community Activism
Easter and Christmas speeches

I can go on.. but....

Nikki_04

All Star
Daps
I think many people who try to say African Americans don't have a culture, are only saying that because we don't have a culture that is separate from American culture. I always wondered what is wrong with that? But I'll bite:

Education is and has always been a big part of our culture (HBCUs, fighting for integration so our children could get equal education). Religion is a big part of our culture. Music and dancing is a big part of our culture. Family has historically been very important to us and respecting our elders. Working hard has always been a part of our culture. We are a fun people who party, celebrate and have or had a great sense of community. There have been unfortunate circumstances that have affected our communities, fragmented our growth, and our sense of self, but all you really have to do is look back to into history to see what our culture is.

It annoys me when people from other countries say 'well education and family are big in our cultures' as if it is not important in ours....
The very reason you are even going to the school you are going to is because of African Americans.