Swiss tell EU: Hands off veterans' assault rifles

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Swiss tell EU: Hands off veterans' assault rifles

Friction between Switzerland and the European Union over the bloc's plans to tighten gun control following a rise in militant attacks could turn into another serious snag in ties already tested by Swiss efforts to curb immigration.

The proposed directive, which applies to non-EU member Switzerland only because it is part of Europe's Schengen open border system, has raised hackles among the Swiss, who resent intervention from Brussels.

Christoph Blocher, a leading voice of the Swiss right and a eurosceptic, says Switzerland should consider abandoning Europe's Schengen system of passport-free travel if the Swiss people rejected the proposed measures in a referendum.

Drafted after militants killed scores in attacks in Paris last year, the EU plans on gun control aimed to curb online weapons sales and impose more restrictions on assault weapons.

But the initial proposal provoked an outcry in Switzerland because it meant a ban on the long Swiss tradition of ex-soldiers keeping their assault rifles.

Then, two months ago, Justice Minister Simonetta Sommaruga returned from meetings in Brussels saying she had successfully negotiated against such a ban. But the fine print was more complicated: EU members demanded concessions including psychological tests and club membership.

Swiss gun rights proponents are now complaining this could disarm thousands of law-abiding citizens and that it would encroach on Switzerland's heritage and national identity that includes a well-armed citizenry.

"When conflicts arise, Switzerland must put its sovereignty first," said Blocher, a businessman and vice president of the SVP, which is the country's biggest party. "In an emergency, Switzerland should be ready to exit Schengen." :salute:

Switzerland has one of the highest rates of private gun ownership in Europe, with nearly 48 percent of households owning a gun. In France, there are about 30 weapons per 100 people, while the figure in the Great Britain is far lower, at 6.7 guns per 100 civilians, according to the Australian-based think tank GunPolicy.org.

However, Swiss gun-related crime is low and the high number of privately owned guns harks back to a long tradition of self-defence and to the Swiss policy of near-universal conscription.

In 2015, 11 percent of the 20,600 soldiers who left the Swiss Army opted to keep their assault rifles which upon departure are modified to fire single shots. The number of soldiers choosing to keep their weapons has been declining for several years.

Switzerland's grassroots gun lobby ProTELL, named after the 14th-century folk hero William Tell, said it will take the matter to voters if the European gun restrictions result in stricter ownership standards on Swiss soil.

Under Switzerland's system of direct democracy, groups like ProTELL can gather signatures and put such matters before voters.

"With our direct democracy, Swiss people are accustomed to having the last word," said ProTell's Dominik Riner. "We're opposed to any and all efforts to make current weapons laws more restrictive."

The gun control issue comes as Switzerland's EU ties are strained on multiple fronts.

The two sides are negotiating immigration curbs after Swiss voters in 2014 backed quotas on European workers. A failure to agree could mean the collapse of bilateral accords with Swiss' main trading partner.

Outlines of any deal may emerge when European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker visits on Sept. 19, but the clock is ticking: Switzerland has said it may enact unilateral curbs by February 2017.

Europe plans to finalize its gun directive later this year.

:salute: to the Swiss

badhat

Pro
Daps
:lawd: Doesnt make sense letting yourself be disarmed by paper pushing bureaucrats who live thousands of miles away...how the fukk would they know whats going on in your hood

Good point, the state has no business telling citizens whether they should or shouldn't have firearms in their ho…

However, Swiss gun-related crime is low and the high number of privately owned guns harks back to a long tradition of self-defence and to the Swiss policy of near-universal conscription.

Wait just a minute here. Seems to me that the Swiss government's mandate forcing you to be conscripted into the state milita is just as much of a violation of personal liberty as taking your guns away.

Well, regardless, the firearms are still personal prope…

Militiamen are issued personal equipment, which includes a personal weapon and ammunition.

:jbhmm:

badhat

Pro
Daps
Eager to see which way you guys will break here.

Will you go anti-state, in which you acknowledge that mandatory conscription is bad?

Or are you gonna be for a strong centralized government bureaucracy, if that means putting a rifle in citizens' homes?

plushcarpet

Superstar
Daps
i read up on the Swiss once

they currently aren't and have never been soft :wow:

their soldiers used to be hired by every European country back in the day because they were :birdman:

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Payments accepted Obamacare,paypal and livestock
Good point, the state has no business telling citizens whether they should or shouldn't have firearms in their ho…

Wait just a minute here. Seems to me that the Swiss government's mandate forcing you to be conscripted into the state milita is just as much of a violation of personal liberty as taking your guns away.

Well, regardless, the firearms are still personal prope…

:jbhmm:

:jbhmm: Here is a poster who just conflated the democratically elected swiss state laws made by elected reps

and the fascistic non elected supranational EU regulations made by a bunch of pencil-necks nobody voted for

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I think the Swiss will be fine as they maintain neutrality but theres certainly an issue surrounding sovereignty and EU overstepping their power.

They knew what they signed up for. I think the article is really sloppy and lacking context as well.

It says in the article they're semi-automatic rifles after they retire.

:yeshrug:

badhat

Pro
Daps
:jbhmm: Here is a poster who just conflated the democratically elected swiss state laws made by elected reps

and the fascistic non elected supranational EU regulations made by a bunch of pencil-necks nobody voted for

If you don't trust a consensus of scientists about global warming, why would I imagine you'd trust majority rule in legislation? You've made your name here on taking a stand on individual rights over collectivism, why is it okay for 75% of a population to conscript someone?

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
They knew what they signed up for. I think the article is really sloppy and lacking context as well.

It says in the article they're semi-automatic rifles after they retire.

:yeshrug:

The Swiss aren't part of the EU so they have a lot of leeway. They basically just have a trade agreement and with Britain re-writing the way trade is done in the EU, I think the Swiss have a lot of leverage. I'm just glad a Euro nation is standing up to the tyranny of the Union.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The Swiss aren't part of the EU so they have a lot of leeway. They basically just have a trade agreement and with Britain re-writing the way trade is done in the EU, I think the Swiss have a lot of leverage. I'm just glad a Euro nation is standing up to the tyranny of the Union.

No they're not part of the EU but they share some agreements and laws as a party of their trade agreements and Schengen ...

I don't think the Swiss have a lot of leverage and they shouldn't.

Tyranny of the Union... lol please spare me on this subject in the future.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No they're not part of the EU but they share some agreements and laws as a party of their trade agreements and Schengen ...

I don't think the Swiss have a lot of leverage and they shouldn't.

Tyranny of the Union... lol please spare me on this subject in the future.

:lolbron:

I'll try not to tinfoil it too much but I seriously see some massive issues in the EU regarding sovereignty over the next few years.