Swiss tell EU: Hands off veterans' assault rifles

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
As a veteran, I can say that the only things veterans have over the general population is a competence in the use of assault rifles.
To me, this doesn't make us more trustworthy with an assault rifle.

On a separate note, the majority of veterans are not combat veterans...meaning they're no better with a rifle than your average civilian. They just walk around with more fake war stories.

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Payments accepted Obamacare,paypal and livestock
If you don't trust a consensus of scientists about global warming, why would I imagine you'd trust majority rule in legislation? You've made your name here on taking a stand on individual rights over collectivism, why is it okay for 75% of a population to conscript someone?
:mjlol: Boy you really wandered off the reservation to try to find inconsistency in my beliefs huh....

Science is NEVER EVER collectivist..its always empirical..the guy with the falsifiable evidence wins..doesn't matter if hes a high school dropout and there are one million PHDs saying otherwise ... consensus is bullshyt in science(actually it worth even less than bullshyt)

Do i support conscription...nope But theyve been doing it since the 1800s i suspect militia conscription is tradition at this point and second enough young men do volunteers for their actual armed forces .....as any military officer will tell you men who are being forced tend to make really lousy soldiers.

Do i trust majority rule..Nope..but democratic republics are the best form of government humans have put into practice this far.....
Untill that final war/big economic crash and we all end up in anarchist paradise :ahh: inshallah

Here is the bottom line..do you want YOUR state governor signing the laws that will affect YOU ....or would you prefer its done over in some UN headquarters by some guy you NEVER heard of and has never ever been to your state....:ld:

badhat

Pro
Daps
:mjlol: Boy you really wandered off the reservation to try to find inconsistency in my beliefs huh....

Not really. I extrapolated on beliefs you mentioned before.

Science is NEVER EVER collectivist..its always empirical..the guy with the falsifiable evidence wins..doesn't matter if hes a high school dropout and there are one million PHDs saying otherwise ... consensus is bullshyt in science(actually it worth even less than bullshyt)

That's what I assumed your position was. It's not incorrect, but you've flown under the flag loudly, so here's the place to do it as well.

Do i support conscription...nope But theyve been doing it since the 1800s i suspect militia conscription is tradition at this point and second enough young men do volunteers for their actual armed forces .....as any military officer will tell you men who are being forced tend to make really lousy soldiers.

Seems to me that you feel it's just inertia at this point, I'm not finding a lot from your view to support the practice.

Do i trust majority rule..Nope..but democratic republics are the best form of government humans have put into practice this far.....
Untill that final war/big economic crash and we all end up in anarchist paradise :ahh: inshallah

If you're saying you're a pragmatist, I'll take you at your word.

Here is the bottom line..do you want YOUR state governor signing the laws that will affect YOU ....or would you prefer its done over in some UN headquarters by some guy you NEVER heard of and has never ever been to your state....:ld:

My governor's Scott Walker, so if you're asking me honestly, it's probably a toss up.

CHL

Superstar
Daps
If you don't trust a consensus of scientists about global warming, why would I imagine you'd trust majority rule in legislation? You've made your name here on taking a stand on individual rights over collectivism, why is it okay for 75% of a population to conscript someone?
:whew:

CHL

Superstar
Daps
XlkDcDx.png

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Not really. I extrapolated on beliefs you mentioned before.
That's what I assumed your position was. It's not incorrect, but you've flown under the flag loudly, so here's the place to do it as well.
And i believe i have done so..I prefer complete freedom and liberty but 99% of humanity isnt ready and probably wont be for a very long time so if were gonna have a ruling class of plutocrats its far better they live close enough to be affected by the decisions they make...it makes perfect sense
Seems to me that you feel it's just inertia at this point, I'm not finding a lot from your view to support the practice.
Thats because I dont..but since the swiss are neutral its still an archaic custom with no life or death consequences..
My governor's Scott Walker, so if you're asking me honestly, it's probably a toss up.
:sas2: He must be doing something right..he won the recall and got re elected in a state that went to Obama twice

badhat

Pro
Daps
And i believe i have done so..I prefer complete freedom and liberty but 99% of humanity isnt ready and probably wont be for a very long time so if were gonna have a ruling class of plutocrats its far better they live close enough to be affected by the decisions they make...it makes perfect sense

I seem to remember other people thinking that they preferred complete freedom and liberty while thinking that 99% of humanity wasn't ready, too.

They also justified state abuse as pragmatic over secret machinations of an international cabal.

I mean, look, I'm not that opposed to the draft they have. It seems a little silly, but it works well enough. I'm just saying I would've thought this would be a good opportunity for you to stand on your soapbox and denounce the more foundational form of the state using force on its citizens by de jure requiring them to have these rifes and conscripting them.

Thats because I dont..but since the swiss are neutral its still an archaic custom with no life or death consequences..

They're neutral, as you said, so taking away guns wouldn't have life or death consequences either.

Unless you think the blue helmets are going to enact secret OPERATION MATTERHORN, where they set charges on every Swiss door in the middle of the night and seize power at gunpoint. That's what schizophrenics think, though, and arguing that there's not a secret UN black ops task force ready to pounce is like arguing that Beyonce's not sending coded messages via her songs.

:sas2: He must be doing something right..he won the recall and got re elected in a state that went to Obama twice

It's looking like he had a nice thing going, but fukked it up. :manny:

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
I seem to remember other people thinking that they preferred complete freedom and liberty while thinking that 99% of humanity wasn't ready, too.
They also justified state abuse as pragmatic over secret machinations of an international cabal.
:ehh: When? Where? As far as i know it has never been done yet...as long as statist oligarchies exist that can project military force exist they wont let it happen

The closest humanity has come is the people who sailed away from big govt to start their own legacy of genocide of natives and slavery on another continent...But clearly they were only paying lip service to the principles of liberty by applying them specifically to white male landowners

I mean, look, I'm not that opposed to the draft they have. It seems a little silly, but it works well enough. I'm just saying I would've thought this would be a good opportunity for you to stand on your soapbox and denounce the more foundational form of the state using force on its citizens by de jure requiring them to have these rifes and conscripting them.
Im opposed but apathetic..One has to pick their battles...even the swiss are letting the tradition slide because its mostly harmless

They're neutral, as you said, so taking away guns wouldn't have life or death consequences either.
:ufdup: What about self defense...as the other Europeans are learning the hard way there isnt always a superhero cop seconds away ready to save you
and isnt that the primary purpose of gun ownership?

Unless you think the blue helmets are going to enact secret OPERATION MATTERHORN, where they set charges on every Swiss door in the middle of the night and seize power at gunpoint. That's what schizophrenics think, though, and arguing that there's not a secret UN black ops task force ready to pounce is like arguing that Beyonce's not sending coded messages via her songs.
:comeon: Despite being neutral..there is a long history of invaders using their country as a gateway and supply route so they DO NEED armed neutrality to stop them..the swiss are not paranoid about that for nothing

Beyonce IS an archetype (being used)to send coded messages.....thats not some tinfoil hat theory its easily observable ..I would advise you not to let your daughter listen to the hoodrat anthems she produces.

It's looking like he had a nice thing going, but fukked it up. :manny:

How fortunate for you that he is done then from the sound of things...

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Last time the EU and the Swiss had a conflict (due to free movement I think), the Swiss backed down. We'll see how this goes. Swiss has leeway, but they signed on agreements with the EU because they get access to the EU market too.

That being said, whatever weapon issue there is in Europe is not coming from Switzerland :francis:

Sounds like diversion tactics from the EU :francis:

badhat

Pro
Daps
When? Where? As far as i know it has never been done yet...

Every monarchy is a subset of people deciding that they were more deserving of liberty over the vast majority of people. Any Fascist or Fascist-affiliated government is, your Carlist Spains, your Nazi Germanys. Roman Empire. Qing Dynasty. Abbasid Caliphate. To a less spectacular degree, literally every government or hierarchical system that exists or will ever exist in the history of the world ever.

But yeah, other than that, never been done.

The closest humanity has come is the people who sailed away from big govt to start their own legacy of genocide of natives and slavery on another continent...But clearly they were only paying lip service to the principles of liberty by applying them specifically to white male landowners

Such is the way with most people that claim liberty. For example, the stock libertarian standpoint I'm seeing about this story was in favor of the Swiss government's violation of liberty via forced conscription and supplying rifles at the taxpayers' cost. You wanna make a pragmatic case for that, you go right ahead, I'm not opposed to it, I'm not arguing with @Ill's post up there (Although honestly, in the real world, Switzerland wouldn't be under any real existential threat by virtue of disarming. Total war as the Kaiser knew of it isn't a meaningful threat in the world of mid ranged ballistic missiles.)

Im opposed but apathetic..One has to pick their battles...even the swiss are letting the tradition slide because its mostly harmless

It's a toothless and academic point either way, but it's ultimately the gov't collecting gov't issued property. :yeshrug: I can't get upset over the idea without acknowledging the greater injustice.

:ufdup: What about self defense...as the other Europeans are learning the hard way there isnt always a superhero cop seconds away ready to save you
and isnt that the primary purpose of gun ownership?

I haven't been to Bern, but I don't think people are walking around strapped with their 550s, which are the primary subjects of this story.

Despite being neutral..there is a long history of invaders using their country as a gateway and supply route so they DO NEED armed neutrality to stop them..the swiss are not paranoid about that for nothing

Again, we're not in the era of total war anymore. If ISIS is getting to the point where they need to transport significant matériel through the Alps, they won the more important insurgency front, not via a renaissance of tactical ground fighting.

Beyonce IS an archetype (being used)to send coded messages.....thats not some tinfoil hat theory its easily observable ..I would advise you not to let your daughter listen to the hoodrat anthems she produces.

I'll keep that in mind for my future daughter.

How fortunate for you that he is done then from the sound of things...

He was a big fish in a little pond as governor, but he clearly wasn't capable of running for president.