Tech Companies Are Quietly Defunding Diversity Pledges And Industry Layoffs Are Hitting Black And Brown Workers Hardest

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
I'm curious if these jobs are true tech jobs or tech-adjacent jobs.
As someone in the industry, predominantly tech adjacent.

I’m not saying no qualified black people who work on actual TECH got shafted but overwhelming it’s our folks who works for these companies diversity initiatives.

I hate it had to be them, but when things get tight they consider that role something that is not revenue generating :francis:

Told my little cousin a couple years ago who wanted to get in tech but was looking at these tech adjacent jobs that the gravy train is and will still be for the foreseeable future the actual coding not the support.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
But but I no black papi.

Close enough :sas1:

When those wagons get circled your caccent, your pledges to the Republican party, your denouncement of black achievements don't matter to the white man. You won't be good boying your way into his heart

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Unfortunately this was kind of an obvious move that was going to happen
A lot of these DEI programs were hiring people from non-traditional backgrounds and people with limited experience.....pretty much the kind of people you layoff when shyt gets tight
Let's not ignore that the layoffs are affecting all races and by percentage the majority of layoffs are probably not black becasue the majority of tech workers....are not black. I still think black people should get into tech. The industry is cyclical and will have ups and downs. Getting laid off is not that deep now days and could present opportunity to level up for a bounce back

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
As someone in the industry, predominantly tech adjacent.

I’m not saying no qualified black people who work on actual TECH got shafted but overwhelming it’s our folks who works for these companies diversity initiatives.

I hate it had to be them, but when things get tight they consider that role something that is not revenue generating :francis:

Told my little cousin a couple years ago who wanted to get in tech but was looking at these tech adjacent jobs that the gravy train is and will still be for the foreseeable future the actual coding not the support.
That's what I have a problem with these initiatives to get Black people in Tech. Many of them are roles like Account Manager (post-Sales), Customer Success, or "Culture" roles that are a reaction to companies realizing that they NEED diversity if they're a publicly traded company to look good in front of their shareholders.

Those non-technical roles or non-revenue generating roles are quickly eliminated. I'm still all for bootcamps and getting into tech overall though for most Black people, but let's not encourage these non-tech roles.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
So, at what point in the future do Black people become independent and stop looking at cacs for employment and sustenance.
At what point do what now???
i

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
There are plenty of current and past Black businesses ignored by Black customers and patrons, to the detriment of those same customers and businesses.

And you will not attain power for Black companies you speak of if you prefer frequenting the Asian hood store as opposed to a Black one or starting one yourself.

Here's a Black man, famous and wealthy named Mark Curry. You may have seen him on TV.
He chose to visit a White town in Colorado, and failed to conduct prior research on Black establishments in the area.
He is then subsequently subjected to a very common and brutal American experience. He was harassed for drinking coffee in the lobby as a Black man by a cac who demanded to know if he was a guest.

Now, we can blame the racist cac hotel for that of course, but we have to divide the blame accordingly and Mark Curry has to carry some as well for blindly walking into a cac establishment as an elderly Black man in Amerikkka and not having the sense to realis he is in enemy territory.

Revolt

Mark Curry claims he was racially profiled by white hotel staff in Colorado​

Angelina Velasquez
Sun, December 11, 2022 at 5:56 PM·3 min read

Mark Curry

2nd Annual All Def Movie Awards - Show

Comedian Mark Curry is being flooded with support after claiming he was racially profiled by employees of The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on Saturday (Dec. 10).

Curry was apparently lounging in the hotel lobby when a white male employee approached him and asked if he was a guest and demanded to see his ID. The “Family Reunion” actor, who was on Instagram Live at the time, shared the 26-minute video on his page.

In the caption, Curry wrote: “Black man and a hotel lobby. It’s impossible that he has a room here. No, I have a suite! He walks up to me with no badge on; I don’t know who this man is. And [he] asked to see my hotel key. Wyndham racism. 719-323-2000 call them, please. Jhon Crab, head of security and head of maintenance at the same time.”

The footage showed the man irritably standing in front of him and asking Curry to confirm his guest status. Nearby, a second male staff member stood watching the encounter. Elsewhere, the actor showed the two men as they trailed behind him throughout the lobby.

Once back in his room, Curry stated: “This is some bulls**t. This [is] what we do in America. The motherf**ker was so upset. I don’t know what his problem was. He did not want me in the lobby. He walked up and said, ‘This lobby is private,’ and stopped me.” He went on to implore his followers to call the hotel and “f**k them up” with complaints about how the staff interacted with him.

The post was inundated with comments from the comedian’s peers. Guy Torry wrote: “I was just there 2 weeks ago. That’s [the] hotel across from the comedy club. They giving you s**t?” D.L. Hughley commented: “You good, my dude? I’ve called the number a bunch of times [and] can’t get [through]!” The “Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper” lead also garnered support from his former castmates Raven-Symoné and Holly Robinson Peete. The latter tweeted: “I watched the whole video. There was no reason for Mark to be singled out except for the fact that he’s a Black man. Since when do you have to identify yourself sitting in the lobby drinking coffee? This would be farcical if it wasn’t so disrespectful.”

You didn’t answer the question, telling us mark curry was profiled does not relate to the topic, the people want to know if you can name these black companies

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
You didn’t answer the question, telling us mark curry was profiled does not relate to the topic, the people want to know if you can name these black companies

You clearly struggle with basic logic and paying attention.
You don't even believe or know there are Black companies out there, in your mind all Black people are living on handouts from whites.
You wouldn't ask me to name white companies that keep White America employed because as far as you're concerned Black companies don't exist.
This is all in your own mind sweetheart.

There have been numerous threads and cries on here about Black businesses large and small that exist but don't get recognition from Black patrons and are struggling as a result.
Mark Curry was treated like dog shyt because he failed to research the area and find a Black establishment.

Whether people are aware of these businesses or not, they exist and don't get your dollars.
Most Black consumers blindly still prefer white establishments, including yourself seeing as how clueless you are about Black enterprise and wealth generation.

A young Black woman even created an app that allows Black consumers to identify where Black businesses are on GPS. Why, because Black businesses aren't seeing enough Black dollars.

And here you are with your defeatist heart and soul not even aware there are Black enterprises of all sizes.

Asking me to name a Black business that can employ Black America shows how far your minds long defeated and will never recover.