The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Black?

Oq6kFLi.jpg

White?

e59ab35359063e7c_139123757.xxxlarge_2.jpg

You got to kidding me. These are not black people !!!! They can not produce black children. If black and mixed people with 30% and above SSA DNA were to all disappear, these "black" people can not save the race and bring back actual "colored" looking blacks.
If it was on them the black race would be extinct in one generation. So miss me with this argument.

No one is saying that they can't contribute or have some understanding but if they are black then many white people in America are black.

A person who is 5% black gets to be parade as black because of white supermacy. What you're doing is only strengthening a faulty and broken system.
You are erasing the black face from history.

Last edited:

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
You could only have these people with these phenotypes screaming "black power" and "black is beautiful" in America.

SLKAu0X.jpg

...it's the same reason you have fair skinned blacks. I love this mindset:troll:
Those pictures you posted in the OP are not fair skinned blacks.
There are people in Africa and African diaspora who are greater than 50% black and fair skinned. That is by my definition a fair skinned black. Not those people that are clearly white you posted in the OP.

labelplant

Wilt Chamberlain
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The other day I saw some black Israelites on the corner passing out pamphlets but one of them was white. I guess maybe this was the case where he identifies as afroamerican but has many white ancestors.

-----

This account was for entertainment purposes only.
Daps
Reppin
Paradise
Waaayyy better than those Latin American color lines:mjlol:

'Blanqueamiento' in Puerto Rico

We were already using it before it was an actual rule.

It's not a rule today. Fair skinned people that identify as "black" today do so, not because someone is forcing them but because it's the common bond/shared experiences with their AfroEuropean kin.

Fuuck Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans.

Michael9100

The Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
houston
The other day I saw some black Israelites on the corner passing out pamphlets but one of them was white. I guess maybe this was the case where he identifies as afroamerican but has many white ancestors.

Those Israelite groups only claim native american, latino and whites as israelites in order to have access to non-black female family members....

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/magazine/06wwln-essay-t.html?_r=0

RECONSIDERATION
Our First Black President?

06recon-190.jpg

By BEVERLY GAGE
Published: April 6, 2008
Will Americans vote for a black president? If the notorious historian William Estabrook Chancellor was right, we already did. In the early 1920s, Chancellor helped assemble a controversial biographical portrait accusing President Warren Harding of covering up his family’s “colored” past. According to the family tree Chancellor created, Harding was actually the great-grandson of a black woman. Under the one-drop rule of American race relations, Chancellor claimed, the country had inadvertently elected its “first Negro president.”

Ku Klux Klan had a major revival during the Harding years), the taint of “Negro blood” was political death. The Harding forces hit back hard against Chancellor, driving him out of his job and destroying all but a handful of published copies of his book.

In the decades since, many biographers have dismissed the rumors of Harding’s mixed-race family as little more than a political scandal and Chancellor himself as a Democratic mudslinger and racist ideologue. But as with the long-denied and now all-but-proved allegations ofThomas Jefferson’s affair with his slave Sally Hemings, there is reason to question the denials. From the perspective of 2008, when interracial sex is seen as a historical fact of life instead of an abomination, the circumstantial case for Harding’s mixed-race ancestry is intriguing though not definitive.

To anyone who tracks it down today, Chancellor’s book comes across as a laughable partisan screed, an amalgam of bizarre racial theories, outlandish stereotypes and cheap political insults. But it also contains a remarkable trove of social knowledge — the kind of community gossip and oral tradition that rarely appears in official records but often provides clues to richer truths. When he toured Ohio in 1920, Chancellor claimed to find dozens of acquaintances and neighbors willing to swear that the Hardings had been considered black for generations. Among the persuaded, according to rumor, was Harding’s father-in-law, Amos Kling, one of the richest men in Harding’s adopted hometown of Marion. When Harding married his daughter, Florence, in 1891, Kling supposedly denounced her for polluting the family line.

There were rumors of other family scandals as well: the 1849 case in which “one David Butler killed Amos Smith” after Smith claimed that Butler’s wife, a Harding, was black; the suggestion that Harding’s father’s second wife divorced him because he was too much Negro “for her to endure.” In Chancellor’s book, such stories are relayed with a bitter, racist glee — ample reason not to accept them out of hand. But if none of this had any resemblance to the truth, how did all of these rumors get started?

In 1968, the Harding biographer Francis Russell offered an explanation: Harding’s great-great-grandfather Amos told his descendants that he once caught a man killing his neighbor’s apple trees and that the man started the rumor in retaliation — a rather weak story that Russell declined to endorse and that did not silence the mixed-blood rumors. Well into the 1930s, African-Americans claiming a family link continued to pop up in the press. (One decidedly dark-skinned Oliver Harding, supposedly the president’s great-uncle, appeared in Abbott’s Monthly, a black-owned Chicago magazine, in 1932.) As recently as 2005, a Michigan schoolteacher named Marsha Stewart issued her own claim to Harding ancestry. “While growing up,” she wrote, “we were never allowed to talk about the relationship to a U.S. president outside family gatherings because we were ‘colored’ and Warren was ‘passing.’ ”

Genetic testing and genealogical research may one day prove the truth or falsity of such claims. In the meantime, as the campaign season plunges us headlong into a “national conversation” about race, it’s worth thinking about why that truth has been so hard to come by for so long — about what makes it into our official history and what we choose to excise along the way.

Harding’s hometown, Marion, Ohio, provides a case in point. The town gained national fame in 1920 as the site of Harding’s “front-porch campaign”; for weeks, he delivered stump speeches from his well-tended home. Far less well known, as the historian Phillip Payne has noted, is what happened the year before, when a mob of armed white Marion residents drove more than 200 black families out of town, one of a wave of postwar race riots that served to segregate the industrialized north.

As he campaigns to become the nation’s first (openly) black president, Barack Obamalikes to say that we’ve begun to put that divisive history behind us. The truth may be that we don’t yet know the half of it.

Beverly Gage teaches modern U.S. history at Yale University.

Daps
Look if your mixed and you look like Akon you'll be considered Black.
If your mixed and you look like Blake Griffin you'll be considered White.

Phenotypes determine everything.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
50% and above(at least one black parent) is my cut off point.

If I gotta look at you and guess, you aint black enough to be considered black. I ain't finna consider a person with a black grandparent as black, just as I don't consider myself white for having a white grandparent.

It's more about social and culture then genetic anyways, and culturally here if you look black in your aesthetics then you are considered black by us and cacs.

Dividing people up who experience life from a black POV because they have a mixed lineage at some point is silly imo and counter productive.

Last edited: