The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Those pictures you posted in the OP are not fair skinned blacks.

I never said they were fair skinned blacks. I posted them as a sign of the mentality that also makes fair skinned blacks identify the way they do. If those women from the black panthers were outside of the Amercian racial system dynamics, they would be claiming to be mulattos/white/anything but black.

There are people in Africa and African diaspora who are greater than 50% black and fair skinned. That is by my definition a fair skinned black. Not those people that are clearly white you posted in the OP.

No. Fair skinned blacks are afroeuropeans who are very light with less visible/obvious african features

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
GreatestLaker where you at? I know you saw this post:lolbron:

Oh really? What other "black" people follow the one drop rule? Tell me where outside of America is Wentworth Miller considered a black man by black people?

Latin American have the One Drop Rule in reverse (running from blackness to embrace whiteness) but at the same time you'll see people self identifying along the lines of how Aframs do (embracing blackness regardless of how non-stereotypical african they may appear). For many of these self identified Afro-Brazilians could call themslves anything but "black" based on the reverse One Drop Rule of brazil

Creator of TV program deemed racist invited to black awards ceremony; students of nation’s only black college repudiate the invitation

Caption: “My body is not a product on the shelf of your market” – “Sexo e as negas doesn’t represent me” – Unipalmares students and black women activists repudiate the “Sexo e as negas” program created by Miguel Falabella

Note from BW of Brazil: I must say that after reading the news last week I was little disgusted and disappointed. About what, you ask? Well, for the past few weeks, this blog has featured a number of articles detailing the controversy surrounding the new television series Sexo e as negas on Brazil’s most dominant TV network, Rede Globo. Black women across the country have repudiated the show and to stomp out the resistance, Globo is now resorting to the second step in its manipulation program: to deflect accusations of racism, well-known Afro-Brazilians are publicly announcing their support of the show. After all, if there are blacks who support the show, it can’t possibly be racist, right? Since then, a number of prominent black public have stepped forward and done just that. Yesterday on the blog you saw Grammy-nominated musician Carlinhos Brown voice his support for the show on a top (Globo) talk show. There have been others as well who will be featured in an upcoming post. And then there was the nation’s only predominantly black college opening its doors to the show’s creator.

Sexo e as negas creator Miguel Falabella announced last week that Faculdade Zumbi dos Palmares contacted him to participate in its annual Troféu Raça Negra award ceremony. It’s not clear exactly what this meant. The Troféu Raça Negra awards, something like the American Essence Awards or NAACP Awards (although it bills itself as the “Black Oscars”), presents awards to Afro-Brazilians of highlight in the year or those who contribute to the Afro-Brazilian cause. Was Falabella to receive an award? Present an award? Or have some sort of debate about race in the media? It’s still not clear. In my view, it doesn’t matter. How does the nation’s only predominantly black college whose aim is to address exclusion and racial inequality invite someone who many in the black community see as selling a highly racist, stereotypical representation of the black population to a wide audience? What is the message here? A white director can present the black population in any way that he chooses and the black population should still be thankful for this? Not feeling this action AT ALL!! And as it turns out, students at the college are not feeling it either!

Miguel Falabella is invited to Troféu Raça Negra after being accused of racism

Courtesy of Pure People

Miguel Falabella suffered criticism because of his new Globo TV program Sexo e as negas. The series, that debuted last Tuesday, the 16th, portrays the everyday lives of four friends in the Cidade Alta region of Cordovil, a community in the suburbs of Rio de Janeiro. On Thursday (18) of last week, in the meantime, the actor and director revealed in his Facebook profile that he had been invited to participate in Troféu Raça Negraawards ceremony and shared his happiness with his followers.

“I always believed in people. I finished my monologue Louro, Alto, Solteiro, Procura, reaffirming my belief in human beings and their terrible peculiarities; because we are capable of going back and looking at the same path with another vision. I ended up being invited by the Faculdade Zumbi dos Palmares to the Troféu Raça Negra and to debate reflectively the questions raised by Sexo e as negas. The intelligent voices started to express themselves. The negas in power,” wrote the director in the social network.

Even before the debut on TV, the author suffered criticism because of the title chosen and was the target of various protests by blacks that felt offended by the plot of the series, accusing him of making a stereotyped portrayal of the race. On Facebook, followers of Falabella criticized him.

“I’m already tired of this false representation of the black woman, these stereotypes portrayed in this miniseries don’t represent us! Stop with the term mulata, this is pejorative! Stop being a mockery, stop being portrayed as a sexual slave,” wrote one follower. “What is behind a production like this is an eternal imposition of putting and keeping blacks always in the subaltern place,” declared another.

In contrast to so many negative critiques, Miguel received support from other followers, sharing, among others, a text posted by the black actor Deiwis Jamaica, that participated in novelas like Em família and films like Tropa de Elite.

Actor Deiwis Jamaica (left) in a scene from the novela ‘Em família’ with actress Erika Januza

“I decided to say something because the sense of justice screamed inside of me. I cannot remain silent in the face of so many injuries and accusations. Because of being black, I was born and raised in the Cidade Alta of Cordovil community, I feel full ownership of the subject to report all that there is no bad faith, prejudice, racial discrimination or even the intention to stereotype black women,” wrote the actor.

“Let’s support this, that came out of the suburb and that is more than proving that the suburb has not left him. And for these and others always giving opportunities to black actors in such a hard job market. It’s more than time to forget this theme of ‘Historical Debts’. We blacks owe nothing to anyone, we do not have to feel persecuted,” he concluded.

Last Tuesday (16), protesters scrawled the term “racist” on the headquarters of Rede Globo in São Paulo. In a video published by Levante Popular da Juventude, you can see the damage to the front of the station and several people with banners and signs protesting the show.

Note from BW of Brazil: In the piece below, the news of the Falabella being invited to the awards ceremony that is connected to the directors of the Faculdade Zumbi dos Palmares college didn’t sit very well with students. Below is an expression of repudiation from students as well photos from black women students around the country that want Falabella and Globo TV to know that Sexo e as negas “doesn’t represent them”.

NO PRIZES FOR FALABELLA

Coletivo Mulheres Negras de Joinville, Santa Catarina (Black Women’s Collective of Joinville, Santa Catarina) also repudiates ‘Sexo e as negas’

I received this note of repudiation from Flávio, showing that the series Sexo e as negascontinues to provoke things to say: a college wants to reward Miguel Falabella.

Pretas Simoa, black women’s group from Cariri, Ceará

First of all, a little context. The Zumbi dos Palmares College is one of the arms of the Movimento Negro (black movement). It was born to be a “black university”, inspired by the Americans. Located in São Paulo, currently about 97% of its students are negrxs(black men and women). It is the only one in Latin America with this profile.

Maisa, Pedagogy student in Salvador, Bahia

The Faculdade Zumbi (Zumbi College) annually hands out the Troféu Raça Negra, rewarding black researchers and militants. This year one of the guests for the awards is the author and actor Miguel Falabella. The justification for his prize is that the institution wants to establish a dialogue with him about racial issues. Much of the Movimento Negro believes that Zumbi College is not adequate space to promote this dialogue.

Below is the letter of repudiation from the Pedagogy department (all pictures in this post were taken from the National Boycott page on Facebook, which already has almost 31,000 likes):

“The students and teachers of Pedagogy of Zumbi dos Palmares College 2014, collectively organized and gathered on the date of September 22, 2014, to formalize a vehement repudiation of the invite made by the directors of Zumbi dos Palmares College to the actor and director Miguel Falabella. As most of our group is formed by black women, we understand that the show Sex e as negas re-enforce racist stereotypes that relegate black women to the role of sexual object and due to this, we do not feel represented in, but to the contrary, disrespected.

Eliane, Pedagogue

We emphasize that the understanding of black woman transmitted by the production goes against all the guiding principles of affirmative action policies won by the struggle of the Movimento Negro (Black Movement) in Brazil, these principles that address reparation, recognition and appreciation of the black population. We are black and non-black men and women in the quest for a just, fair and equal education and therefore defend our right to make use of these conquests and condemn and punish any act of racism.

Paula, Pedagogy student in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais

This ideology acts as a constructing mechanism of distorted images of the black population, linking different Eurocentric symbolic elements to justify and validate the ranking among humans. Racism seeps into all spaces, echoing ideas that mutilate the possibilities of existence, building lives incarcerated within a subaltern survival. For the realization of this process, numerous everyday actions densifies stereotypes, setting pre-established destinations for black children, black women and black men.

Nathalia, Social Sciences student at UFSC (Federal University of Santa Catarina in Florianópolis, Santa Catarina)

Racist TV productions need not be debated, but punished in an exemplary manner conforming to the Brazilian Federal Constitution. Our role as educators is to denounce the explicit racism in this and other negative works to the construction of an egalitarian education. Our comprehension of education understands that we have the institutional duty to echo the voices of those who are rarely heard and represented in our society, and not bringing visibility and awareness to public figures that disqualify our banners of struggle.

There are already 117 complaints against ‘Sexo e as negas’

We strengthen the right to respect and legitimate representation of black actors and actresses, of black men and women in movements of struggle and resistance as workers, students, mothers, daughters, teachers, lawyers, administrators and advertisers among others. We finalize by demanding respect!”

Source: Escreva Lola Escreva

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
GreatestLaker where you at? I know you saw this post:lolbron:

Latin American have the One Drop Rule in reverse (running from blackness to embrace whiteness) but at the same time you'll see people self identifying along the lines of how Aframs do (embracing blackness regardless of how non-stereotypical african they may appear). For many of these self identified Afro-Brazilians could call themslves anything but "black" based on the reverse One Drop Rule of brazil

Creator of TV program deemed racist invited to black awards ceremony; students of nation’s only black college repudiate the invitation
Neither extremes are good.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Black?

Oq6kFLi.jpg

Yup, Didn't you read the black womans website?

White?

e59ab35359063e7c_139123757.xxxlarge_2.jpg

You got to kidding me. These are not black people !!!! They can not produce black children. If black and mixed people with 30% and above SSA DNA were to all disappear, these "black" people can not save the race and bring back actual "colored" looking blacks.
If it was on them the black race would be extinct in one generation. So miss me with this argument.

Negative.....these light skinned blacks can produce "colored" people. They would just be caramel complected.

No one is saying that they can't contribute or have some understanding but if they are black then many white people in America are black.

Did you need read what I was posting? Many white americans are in fact, of recent african descent.

xzZffeg.jpg

John Van Surly DeGrasse,
c. 1863

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_van_Salee_de_Grasse

Black ancestor to the Kennedy's:ohhh:

The Van Salee Family

America's Van Salees Anthony and Abraham van Salee were the ancestors of the Vanderbilts, the Whitneys, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Humphrey Bogart.

They were among the earliest arrivals to 17th century New Amsterdam. In a number of documents dating back to this period, they are both described as "mulatto". From what scholars have been able to piece together about their background, they appear to have been the sons of a Dutch seafarer by the name of Jan Jansen who had "turned Turk" and become an admiral in the Moroccan navy. America's Van Salees With the Port of Salee as the base from which it harried European shipping, references to the fleet he commanded are salted away in the old English sea shanties that are still sung about the Salee Rovers. The mother of his two sons was probably a concubine he had while trading in this part of the world before his conversion to Islam.

As a result of the anti-social behaviour of his white wife, Anthony van Salee was induced to leave the city precincts of lower Manhattan and move across the river, thus becoming the first settler of Brooklyn. Since Coney Island abutted his property, it was, until sometime in the last century, also referred to as "Turk's Island"; the word, "Turk", being a designation of his which the records used interchangeably with, "mulatto". According to the documentation that people like Professor Leo Hershkowitz of Queens University have sifted through, it would seem that Anthony van Salee never converted to Christianity. His Koran, in fact, was in a descendant's possession until about fifty years ago when, ignorant of its relevance to his family's history, he offered it for sale at auction.

The Van Salee history also includes a more contemporary black collateral branch in the U.S. Anthony's brother Abraham fathered an illegitimate son with an unknown black woman. The son became the progenitor of this side of the family. Although having to face constraints that their "white" cousins could at best only imagine, two of these van Salees nevertheless left their mark in the annals of African American history.

America's Van Salees Dr. John van Salee De Grasse, born in 1825, was the first of his race to be formally educated as a doctor. A member of the Medical Society of Massachusetts, he also served as surgeon to the celebrated 54th Regiment during the Civil War. His sister, Serena, married George Downing who was not only an enormously successful black restauranteur both in New York City and in Newport, RI, but a man who used his wealth and connections with the East Coast's most powerful white families to effect social change for his people. Because of his organization and his own contribution to the purchase of Truro Park in Newport, one of the streets bordering it still bears his name. Interestingly enough, this genealogy was done as part of an ongoing study of the Ramopo in Tappan, NY, one of those red, white and black groups sociologists and ethnographers are now working on and which in academese are referred to as "tri racial isolates". It is because of what advantages their Indian heritage (no matter how discernably negroid they were) legally and officially provided them that the opportunity for "passing" in these groups was not only a more ambiguous political or moral decision but, comparatively, a more easily documentable one as well.

America's Van Salees Considering how important a role John Hammond of Columbia Records played in the establishment of the black music industry, it would certainly be worth exploring the possible influence his van Salee ancestry might have had on his career. Back then, there would have been no option possible for publicly declaring himself black according to the "one drop" racial code that was the law in most states until the Johnson administration. With a Vanderbilt for a mother, his iconographical value to the white majority was so important that had he dared to tamper with it, the KKK or some such group would most probably have made him pay the ultimate price for having desecrated his and the prestige of his relatives who had, after all, fairly well succeeded in making themselves the equivalent of this country's royal family. Hammond died a few years ago but since his son, following in his father's footsteps, has become a recognized exponent of R&B his could prove to be a very important interview for us.

Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Either Professor Hershkowitz, or Tim Beard, former head of the Genealogical Department of the New York Public Library related this incident regarding van Salee genealogy. At the time the Kennedy administration began implementing its civil rights agenda, the New York Genealogical and Historical Society approached Mrs. Kennedy hoping to discuss the opportunity her African ancestry, through the Van Salees, could have in possibly assisting her husband to realize his social goals regarding race relations. Mrs. Kennedy insisted on referring to the van Salees as 'Jewish,' and the New York Genealogical Society did not push the subject further.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/secret/famous/vansallees.html

QQWId.jpg

jackie kennedy

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
These Brazilian woman are clearly using a color line spectrum similar to Aframs to consider themselves "Black". Looks like One Drop isn't limited to the USA:sas1:

1-a-1-a-a-a-a-nega-pretas-simoa.jpg

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I been saying for years that blackness in this country is more about shared experience than appearance. We are unique to every other part of the world as far as the African Diapora is concerned. I see people bring up how Brazil and South Africa handle race relations and how this country should be more like them in that regard but the way I see it the way those countries handle race is even more divisive than here

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"how his
people are viewed. "In this country," he said, "if you are not quite white, then you are black." But in Brazil, he said, "If you are not quite black, then you are white.""

One drop rule in America>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no blacks rule in latin america:mjpls:

Say it loud, im black and im proud>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>me no black papi:mjpls:

And I gurantee you most of the people that are so outraged at the one drop rule are either half-breeds, parents of half-breeds, ugly, low self-esteemed, dark skinned chicks that feel some type of way about light skinned girls, and non-american blacks who think Americans actually still give a shyt about the one drop rule, why did the internet dig up the fukkin one drop rule of all things though?:why:no one talks about that shyt in real life

African Americans don't give a shyt about the one drop rule, it's nothing more than a long forgotten elementary history lesson to us

And no one gives a shyt about bi-racials, my concern is with the blacks who come from black parents and black grandparents who have some european ancestry being pushed away, which is virtually all of us, yall act like this is fukkin Angola or Senegal, we ain't 100% black our damn selves. You have Africans who tell us we aren't really black, then want to turn around ridicule us for accepting "mixed"(not bi-racial) blacks:mjlol:

Exactly on all of this.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I been saying for years that blackness in this country is more about shared experience than appearance. We are unique to every other part of the world as far as the African Diapora is concerned. I see people bring up how Brazil and South Africa handle race relations and how this country should be more like them in that regard but the way I see it the way those countries handle race is even more divisive than here

That's what many people are missing when the comparison is made between the USA color line and these Latin American/Carib color lines. The latter ones are more divisive and Eurocentric.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
That's what many people are missing when the comparison is made between the USA color line and these Latin American/Carib color lines. The latter ones are more divisive and Eurocentric.
those countries operate as almost in a caste system. But that what nikkas here seem to want :francis:

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
those countries operate as almost in a caste system. But that what nikkas here seem to want :francis:

In most black countries and in Africa mixed people are not considered black and there's no anti-black caste system. The caste system only exists in places non-blacks live alongside blacks. In this way then blacks can absolutely have a pure race model system (which is already in effect in most countries outside the USA anyway) and reap benefits from it. The fact is that the one drop rule is nonsensical and has negative consequences. If Americans want to keep it that way, that is their choice but don't pretend it is about black people. Using OP's logic, any non-black person can be black. The only difference is in degree.