The 2024 Baltimore Ravens thread

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Pick 218 - Devin Leary

Devin Leary from Timber Creek High School was a standout in both baseball and football and completed his school career as the state of New Jersey’s all-time leader in passing yards (9,672) and touchdown throws (117). Completed 566-of-910 passes for 9,672 yards and 117 touchdowns. He was named the Gatorade Player of the Year in New Jersey as both a junior and senior. A team captain. Played in the Polynesian Bowl in Hawaii.

He was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and also handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Leary opted to join NC State where in 2019 as a freshman Leary saw action in 8 games for the Wolfpack as he threw for 1217 yards on 212 attempts with a completion percent of 48.1 for an average of 5.7 yards per pass, with 8 TDs, while taking 11 sacks, and a QB rating of 68.8. He added 30 runs for a total of 111 yards at an average of 3.7 per run.

In 2020 as a sophomore he played in 4 games as he passed for 890 yards on 110 attempts with a completion percentage of 60 for an average of 8.1 yards per pass, with 8 TDs, while also taking 7 sacks, and putting up a QB rating of 102.5.

As a junior in 2021 Leary upped his game -- played in a total of 12 games. He passed for 3435 yards on 430 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 65.6 for an average of 8.0 yards per attempt, with 35 TDs (A record! He broke the previous mark of 34 held by Philip Rivers in 2003.), and allowing 26 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 112.3.
He received an array of accolades at the season's end -- the most impressive making it as a finalist for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.

In 2022 as a senior Leary saw action in 6 games as he threw for 1265 yards on 193 attempts with a completion percent of 61.1 for an average of 6.6 yards per pass, with a solid 11 TDs, while taking 10 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 90.7.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into the pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
  • Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense horizontally.
  • Has elite accuracy on short and intermediate passes.
  • Is well developed as far as the mental aspect of the game is concerned - works quickly through his reads and rarely panics under pressure
  • Leary thrives when he’s extending plays. He’s a loose athlete who should be able to clean up his mechanics at the next level. He’ll hang in and take big hits.
  • He moves effectively and can throw on the run. He’s good on bootlegs, (although not a major threat as a runner), showing zip and accuracy on those throws.
  • Leary has a quick release and shows good accuracy on shorter throws when on the move to either side.
  • Is a natural leader who has a firm grasp on the nuances of the position
  • Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Has an obvious limit to his upside - he's undersized at only 6-1 and a little over 210 lbs - not particularly strong or able to take a beating
  • His arm is only average and needs to float deeper passes
  • As a runner he is instinctive but doesn't have the speed or acceleration to escape faster rushers
  • Accuracy is elite in the short game - but he struggles on any deep routes
  • Marginal height, which will prove more of a detriment in an offense that asks him to drop back from center more often.
  • Lacks a little zip, and accuracy becomes an issue when he’s unable or unwilling to set his feet.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY​

Devin Leary is currently a very polished product, who is a very efficient quarterback, accurate, with a quick release, and has a nice touch on his passes. He is mobile enough, a great competitor, and a natural student of the game. He, however, has physical shortcomings, most notably he is short for the position and has under-average arm strength which will limit his appeal to pro teams.

Leary reminds us a little bit of Jimmy Garoppolo (although he's a little smaller) possessing a similar skillset. We can't see Leary be drafted any higher than the third round of the 2023 NFL Draft, but still, expect him to have a nice career in the NFL.

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Pick 228 - Nick Samac

Nick Samac from Mentor High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Samac opted to join Michigan State.

In 2019 as a freshman Samac saw action in 7 games and played a total of 328 snaps for the Spartans. He allowed 4 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing at center.

As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 7 games and a total of 410 snaps. He conceded 7 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks while playing at center.

In 2021 as a junior Samac saw action in 13 games and totaled 307 snaps. He gave up just 3 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing at center.

In 2022 as a senior Samac saw action in 12 games and played a total of 803 snaps for the Spartans. He allowed 8 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack while playing at center.

In 2023 as a fifth year senior Samac saw action in 11 games and played a total of 579 snaps for the Spartans. He allowed 8 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and one sack while playing at center.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Mauler in the run game, playing with a nasty disposition and showing excellent snap and punch quickness.
  • Takes much more pride in the run game, where Samac plays through the whistle with tremendous physicality.
  • Shows good quickness and flexibility on reach blocks, and he has enough range to get out as a puller.
  • Has a strong, flexible core, and the ability to absorb and anchor against the bull rush as a pass protector.
  • Anchors well and plays with the low center of gravity and natural bend to seal the inside lanes. Has violent hands with hustle to close off bubble screens and lead to flatten linebackers. Nasty demeanor and highly coachable.
  • When his hand placement is right, he has the strong grip that allows him to manhandle opponents. Samac plays with a mean streak and keeps the nastiness going through the whistle.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Lacks ideal movement skills in the run game. He’ll get to the second level, but Samac tends to lock on to a path toward his target and then struggles if he has to adjust.
  • Middling physical traits limit his ceiling, and he most likely will top out as a fringe starter on the right side.
  • Pass protection is a potential issue; while he has a good initial punch and is fairly good with his hands, he’s heavy-footed and tends to stop his feet when he makes contact. He’ll struggle to mirror against quickness.

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
we have 1 pick left

the only player still out there that I thought would go way earlier is the DT from Miami Leonard Taylor

he would be a DE in our scheme

that would be my pick at 250 if hes still there

if we go receiver Jalen Coker or Cornelius Johnson

or just take another olineman

mr heyzel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Md
IMO, Hunt will be a better defender than Issac. Issac is a prototypical guy, but doesn't play up to his physical abilities or potential. Hunt will be dominant and develop into a menace on the Eagles defense.

I just don't see them having luck with these Big 10 Edge/OLBs.
I said this earlier stop drafting players from the big 10 especially Penn st

Shamayw_33

All Star
Supporter
Daps

I thought the picks were great until Leary and Kane. They not only addressed positions of need, but also drafted guys that have day 1 starter potential. Wiggins or Tampa (I think he's going to come in with something to prove and play with a chip on his shoulder to prove everyone was wrong for passing him up) and Rosengarten who should be starting very soon.

Leary to me was a wasted pick. Brendan Rice was still on the board and I think he's a better receiver than Walker. They could've gotten a QB and subsequently did as an UDFA, (QB Emory Jones - Florida).

I still can't find anything on Kane, which isn't a good sign for a guy that was drafted from a big school.

Just don't feel like they addressed the interior oline that well. Now if Samac can play OG and C, ok, but I don't think he's ever played OG unless I missed it in the scouting report.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I think the Ravens had a really good draft.

I will say because it is the Chiefs...

How WIggins/Worthy and Rosengartn/Suamataia pan out will be fascinating.

I actually thought the Ravens might go with the other Texas WR in Mitchell. However, I do like Tez Walker so it might work out regardless.