After a rape story here the other day I actually heard a chick say

"even if the girl says yes it doesn't mean consent "

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
They always talk about women earning less money then men but I remember the two jobs I had with a mostly female office. I remember having to work harder because someone always had to leave early to do something family related or they are moody. Women on average work less hours then men

The funny thing is this argument is for white women lol, Blacks have no damn jobs to be arguing about making less then someone.

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Having an MBA doesnt = Same Qualifications though.
The point is:

An MBA is only one qualification.
And in the lions' share of industries (not just the ones in that graph) there are plenty more non-MBAs
than MBAs. You can't just use the examples of what (supposedly) happens with MBAs to show why
ALL men on average get paid more than ALL women on average.

For that matter, this chart doesn't even reflect the genders of the MBAs.

Sure it does. How are you gonna say "women get paid less than men in these industries"
and then include an industry where women get paid more than men? What kind of sense
does that make?
Qualification wasn't the right word to use. Similar educational backgrounds would have been better to use. The point is that even when things like educational backgound, hours worked, etc. are controlled for women still make less in individual fields.

I suggest reading the accompanying article for the answers that you seek.

That's not what the chart signified. It was an examination of the wage gaps in industries that hired the most MBAs. The results just so happened to show that women make less in 4 out of 5 of those industries. Interestingly enough the only female dominated industry in the list has the tiniest wage gap.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Qualification wasn't the right word to use. Similar educational backgrounds would have been better to use. The point is that even when things like educational backgound, hours worked, etc. are controlled for women still make less in individual fields.

I suggest reading the accompanying article for the answers that you seek.

That's not what the chart signified. It was an examination of the wage gaps in industries that hired the most MBAs. The results just so happened to show that women make less in 4 out of 5 of those industries. Interestingly enough the only female dominated industry in the list has the tiniest wage gap.

MBA is probably the worst degree to utilize as "similar educational background", when MBAs have the most diverse educational and work backgrounds compared to any degree. On top of that you have Degree Mills where you can get MBAs from and Going to a top 10 MBA is waaaaaaay different than going to a top20. MBA is the worst degree to use as a basis of comparison compared to say a specialized degree ie. Looking at how much 1st yr Computer Science graduates make and even then that is hard to do as there are various areas you can move into. A Help Desk Analyst, Network Engineer, and Computer Programmer are all in the IT industry but dont make the same type of money, all this stuff is skewed when you try to group things together.

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
I've had about 8 managers my entire life, and 7 of them were women. Mostly banking and finance industries. Most of the people I've interviewed with were also women. But let's feminist tell it they're not in positions of power.

I've probably been "that boss" or "the boss that hired ". My boss was female too. Her boss was male. His boss was male. And so on.
The companies I have worked for there was a great deal of female Jr execs. A good (but much smaller) number of female senior location executives, then as you moved into district and regional and national positions the male executives far outweighed the females.

Obviously your results will vary based on industry and employer.

I think women are making great strides in the workplace but I do think there's a ways to go as far as those CEO COO national director etc type positions. As well as minority candidates in general. As a black woman I am ofcourse most interested in black women and men moving up the corporate ladder in their respective fields. I won't hop on the "all women" bandwagon because history has shown us that white women's gains aren't ours and for the most part they don't want them to be ours.

White hetero males still hold the majority of those highest positions.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness

But this chart doesn't show any of that, though...

Exactly.

All this chart shows is that women make less than men in 4 out of those 5 industries.
It doesn't show that there are different jobs in each of these industries that don't pay the same.
It doesn't show what the fact that these industries hire the most MBAs has to do with anything.

...and, did you admit that there's a such thing as a "female dominated industry",
and it has a wage gap that favors women? Interesting...

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
5 Feminist Myths That Will Not Die
Sept. 2, 2014
http://time.com/3222543/5-feminist-myths-that-will-not-die/

Much of what we hear about the plight of American women is false. Some faux facts have been repeated so often they are almost beyond the reach of critical analysis. Though they are baseless, these canards have become the foundation of Congressional debates, the inspiration for new legislation and the focus of college programs. Here are five of the most popular myths that should be rejected by all who are genuinely committed to improving the circumstances of women:

MYTH 1: Women are half the world’s population, working two-thirds of the world’s working hours, receiving 10% of the world’s income, owning less than 1% of the world’s property.

FACTS: This injustice confection is routinely quoted by advocacy groups, the World Bank, Oxfam and the United Nations. It is sheer fabrication. More than 15 years ago, Sussex University experts on gender and development Sally Baden and Anne Marie Goetz, repudiated the claim: “The figure was made up by someone working at the UN because it seemed to her to represent the scale of gender-based inequality at the time.” But there is no evidence that it was ever accurate, and it certainly is not today.

Precise figures do not exist, but no serious economist believes women earn only 10% of the world’s income or own only 1% of property. As one critic noted in an excellent debunking in The Atlantic, “U.S. women alone earn 5.4 percent of world income today.” Moreover, in African countries, where women have made far less progress than their Western and Asian counterparts, Yale economist Cheryl Doss found female land ownership ranged from 11% in Senegal to 54% in Rwanda and Burundi. Doss warns that “using unsubstantiated statistics for advocacy is counterproductive.” Bad data not only undermine credibility, they obstruct progress by making it impossible to measure change.

MYTH 2: Between 100,000 and 300,000 girls are pressed into sexual slavery each year in the United States.

FACTS: This sensational claim is a favorite of politicians, celebrities and journalists. Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore turned it into a cause célèbre. Both conservatives and liberal reformers deploy it. Former President Jimmy Carter recently said that the sexual enslavement of girls in the U.S. today is worse than American slavery in the 19th century.

The source for the figure is a 2001 report on child sexual exploitation by University of Pennsylvania sociologists Richard Estes and Neil Alan Weiner. But their 100,000–300,000 estimate referred to children at risk for exploitation—not actual victims. When three reporters from the Village Voice questioned Estes on the number of children who are abducted and pressed into sexual slavery each year, he replied, “We’re talking about a few hundred people.” And this number is likely to include a lot of boys: According to a 2008 census of underage prostitutes in New York City, nearly half turned out to be male. A few hundred children is still a few hundred too many, but they will not be helped by thousand-fold inflation of their numbers.

MYTH 3: In the United States, 22%–35% of women who visit hospital emergency rooms do so because of domestic violence.

FACTS: This claim has appeared in countless fact sheets, books and articles—for example, in the leading textbook on family violence, Domestic Violence Law, and in the Penguin Atlas of Women in the World. The Penguin Atlas uses the emergency room figure to justify placing the U.S. on par with Uganda and Haiti for intimate violence.

What is the provenance? The Atlas provides no primary source, but the editor of Domestic Violence Law cites a 1997 Justice Department study, as well as a 2009 post on the Centers for Disease Control website. But the Justice Department and the CDC are not referring to the 40 million women who annually visit emergency rooms, but to women, numbering about 550,000 annually, who come to emergency rooms “for violence-related injuries.” Of these, approximately 37% were attacked by intimates. So, it’s not the case that 22%-35% of women who visit emergency rooms are there for domestic violence. The correct figure is less than half of 1%.

MYTH 4: One in five in college women will be sexually assaulted.

FACTS: This incendiary figure is everywhere in the media today. Journalists, senators and even President Obama cite it routinely. Can it be true that the American college campus is one of the most dangerous places on earth for women?

The one-in-five figure is based on the Campus Sexual Assault Study, commissioned by the National Institute of Justice and conducted from 2005 to 2007. Two prominent criminologists, Northeastern University’s James Alan Fox and Mount Holyoke College’s Richard Moran, have noted its weaknesses:

“The estimated 19% sexual assault rate among college women is based on a survey at two large four-year universities, which might not accurately reflect our nation’s colleges overall. In addition, the survey had a large non-response rate, with the clear possibility that those who had been victimized were more apt to have completed the questionnaire, resulting in an inflated prevalence figure.”

Fox and Moran also point out that the study used an overly broad definition of sexual assault. Respondents were counted as sexual assault victims if they had been subject to “attempted forced kissing” or engaged in intimate encounters while intoxicated.

Defenders of the one-in-five figure will reply that the finding has been replicated by other studies. But these studies suffer from some or all of the same flaws. Campus sexual assault is a serious problem and will not be solved by statistical hijinks.

MYTH 5: Women earn 77 cents for every dollar a man earns—for doing the same work.

FACTS: No matter how many times this wage gap claim is decisively refuted by economists, it always comes back. The bottom line: the 23-cent gender pay gap is simply the difference between the average earnings of all men and women working full-time. It does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure or hours worked per week. When such relevant factors are considered, the wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing.

Wage gap activists say women with identical backgrounds and jobs as men still earn less. But they always fail to take into account critical variables. Activist groups like the National Organization for Women have a fallback position: that women’s education and career choices are not truly free—they are driven by powerful sexist stereotypes. In this view, women’s tendency to retreat from the workplace to raise children or to enter fields like early childhood education and psychology, rather than better paying professions like petroleum engineering, is evidence of continued social coercion. Here is the problem: American women are among the best informed and most self-determining human beings in the world. To say that they are manipulated into their life choices by forces beyond their control is divorced from reality and demeaning, to boot.

Why do these reckless claims have so much appeal and staying power? For one thing, there is a lot of statistical illiteracy among journalists, feminist academics and political leaders. There is also an admirable human tendency to be protective of women—stories of female exploitation are readily believed, and vocal skeptics risk appearing indifferent to women’s suffering. Finally, armies of advocates depend on “killer stats” to galvanize their cause. But killer stats obliterate distinctions between more and less serious problems and send scarce resources in the wrong directions. They also promote bigotry. The idea that American men are annually enslaving more than 100,000 girls, sending millions of women to emergency rooms, sustaining a rape culture and cheating women out of their rightful salary creates rancor in true believers and disdain in those who would otherwise be sympathetic allies.

My advice to women’s advocates: Take back the truth.

EPvE-2aW_400x400.jpg
Christina Hoff Sommers, a former philosophy professor, is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. She is the author of several books, including
Who Stole Feminism and The War Against Boys, and is the host of a weekly video blog, The Factual Feminist. Follow her @CHSommers.

You and I know damn well there are more than "a few hundred' children forced into sexual slavery every year.
There also studies that refute some of these points, I'll post them after work.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I guess all you lot would've been circulating pro-white propoganda when slavery was alive too, huh? Sending round the Protocols of the Elders of Zion whilst people were speaking out against the Holocaust?

This anti-feminism thing is fukking hilarious... like a pathetic, neckbeard version of the KKK for loser men who want to blame their failures on women being given equal rights.

Be on the wrong side of history, brehs. :wtb:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've had about 8 managers my entire life, and 7 of them were women. Mostly banking and finance industries. Most of the people I've interviewed with were also women. But let's feminist tell it they're not in positions of power.
Don't take stats brehs.
Think n = 1 anecdotal evidence can speak for the entirety of an economic system, brehs.

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps
I guess all you lot would've been circulating pro-white propoganda when slavery was alive too, huh? Sending round the Protocols of the Elders of Zion whilst people were speaking out against the Holocaust?

This anti-feminism thing is fukking hilarious... like a pathetic, neckbeard version of the KKK for loser men who want to blame their failures on women being given equal rights.

Be on the wrong side of history, brehs. :wtb:

The coli doesn't think the two can be compared because it doesn't affect them. It's ok to be sexist, not ok to be racist because they're affected by racism.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
If the wage gender gap doesn't exist, does that mean the wage race gap doesn't either :patrice:

Race WEALTH gap, not wage gap.

Big difference

Not in scale or extremity, but disenfranchised sections of society are disenfranchised sections of society. If you're not on the side of the underdog, there's something wrong with your humanity.

Are White women living in upper echelon societies "disenfranchised" though?

Donald Trump's wife doesn't make as much as he does, I'm sure.

Is she oppressed?

that's the problem with comparing gender to race.

A woman can not work and not generate wealth and STILL win by marrying a dude or at least getting pregnant by him.

Whereas the race wealth gap means that millions people are living in poor, violent neighborhoods filled with neglect and police brutality

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Also, the Obama administration, who has helped to propagate the lie that women make 23 cents less than men had to tap dance and admit that it was a misleading statistic.

Gender Wage Gap May Be Much Smaller Than Most Think
DOWNLOAD PDF

Natalia A. Kolesnikova, Yang Liu
The gap between earnings of male and female workers has declined significantly over the past 30 years. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that in 1979 median weekly earnings of full-time female workers were 63.5 percent of male workers' earnings, implying a gap of 36.5 percent. The earnings gap dropped to 30 percent in 1989 and to 23.7 percent in 1999. In the second quarter of 2011, the gap reached a low of 16.5 percent.

Despite the accuracy of these numbers, many researchers believe that the mere comparison of median weekly earnings of male and female workers presents an incomplete picture. First, women are likely to work fewer hours than men, which would make a gap in weekly earnings between the two groups substantial even if their hourly wages are the same. For this reason, most economic studies of a gender gap, including all of the studies reviewed in this article, use hourly wages instead of weekly earnings as a measure. Second, many other factors (such as education and labor force attachment) could affect wages. Research suggests that the actual gender wage gap (when female workers are compared with male workers who have similar characteristics) is much lower than the raw wage gap.

Many studies point out that differences in educational attainment, work experience and occupational choice contribute to the gender wage gap. Economists Francine Blau and Lawrence Kahn found that women's gains in education and work experience together accounted for one-third of the decline in the gap in the 1980s and 1990s.1 As women become more educated, they have more employment opportunities in occupations that require higher skills and pay higher wages.

Such occupational "upgrades" helped to narrow the wage gap. However, there are still significantly fewer women in highly paid occupations. Men are more likely to be lawyers, doctors and business executives, while women are more likely to be teachers, nurses and office clerks. This gender occupational segregation might be a primary factor behind the wage gap.

Another important reason for the gender gap is the difference in labor force attachment between men and women. Women are likely to leave their careers temporarily for childbirth and raising children. Such leaves may be associated with a decrease in human capital and with temporary delays in training and promotion, which consequently lead to lower wages. In addition, women are more likely to work part time and less likely to work overtime than men because of family responsibilities.

One study found that, because women have weaker labor force attachment than men, women tend to be assigned to positions where turnover is less costly.2 As a result, women are employed in positions that have a shorter duration of on-the-job training and that use less capital. The study concludes that these differences in on-the-job training and capital in positions filled by men and women, along with an implied lower value placed on women's prior labor market experience, account for a substantial part of the gap in wages between males and females.

A recent report prepared for the U.S. Department of Labor analyzed the gender wage gap using Current Population Survey (CPS) data for 2007.3 The report takes into account differences between men and women in educational attainment, work experience, occupation, career interruptions, part-time status and overtime worked. The result is striking—these factors explain approximately three-fourths of the 2007 raw gender hourly wage gap of 20.4 percent. The adjusted 2007 gender hourly wage gap is roughly 5 percent.4

To better match women and men with similar characteristics relevant in a job market, another study used the very detailed National Survey of College Graduates 1993 (NSCG), which provides information not only on the highest degree attained, but also on major field of study and labor force experience.5 To explore racial differences in the gender wage gap, the study compared women of various ethnicities with white men who had similar education, work experience and academic major and who spoke English at home. The study reports a wage gap of 9 percent for white women, 13 percent for black women, 2 percent for Asian women and 0.4 percent for Hispanic women. When the analysis was restricted to unmarried, childless women only, the wage gap shrunk to 7 percent for white women, 9 percent for black women and to virtually zero for Asian and Hispanic women.

Some researchers believe that it is not enough to compare wages of similar men and women. They argue that total compensation (wages together with benefits) must be compared. Women of child-bearing age may prefer jobs with a lower wage but with employer-paid parental leave, sick leave and child care to jobs with a higher wage but without such benefits. A study that used National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1979 (NLSY79) found that female workers were indeed more likely to receive family-friendly fringe benefits.6 Some economists believe that female workers "pay" for the benefits they prefer by accepting a lower wage. If that is the case, excluding fringe benefits would exaggerate the actual gender wage disparity.

Economists Eric Solberg and Teresa Laughlin applied an index of total compensation, which accounts for both wages and benefits, to analyze how these benefits would affect the gender gap.7 They found a gender gap in wages of approximately 13 percent. But when they considered total compensation, the gender gap dropped to 3.6 percent.

Despite the difficulty in measuring the gender gap in earnings, the topic attracts much attention of policymakers and pay-equity advocates. Hopefully, continued economic research on the subject will add to a meaningful discussion and will guide effective public policy.

Median Weekly Earnings of Full-time Workers
MedianEarnings.png

Click to enlarge

SOURCE: Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

The graph shows median weekly earnings of males and females as reported by the BLS and the corresponding earnings gap between males and females. For example, in the second quarter of 2011 the gap in weekly earnings was 16.5 percent. The studies reviewed in the article show, however, that the gap in hourly wages between males and females who have similar characteristics is much smaller, about 5 percent, or about $35 a week.

Gender Earnings Gap in the Eighth Federal Reserve District
How does the raw gender earnings gap in the Eighth District compare with the national gap? The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) does not provide the median weekly earnings data by state or metro area. Fortunately, the National Bureau of Economic Research provides the data used by the BLS for its estimates through 2010. Using these data, we were able to closely replicate the raw U.S. gender earnings gap of 18.8 percent as reported by the BLS for 2010.8 We then expanded the analysis and calculated the raw gender gaps in weekly earnings for states and large metro areas in the Eighth Federal Reserve District.

Among the states within the Eighth District, Arkansas has the lowest gender earnings gap (18.5 percent), slightly better than the national gap. Gender earnings gaps in Tennessee (19.4 percent) and Mississippi (20.5 percent) are slightly higher than the nation's, while the gap in Illinois (22.2 percent) is 21 percent higher than the nation's. Kentucky (24.3 percent), Missouri (24.8 percent) and Indiana (25.0 percent) have the highest gender earnings gaps among the Eighth District's states, each about a third above the national average.

All major metro areas within the Eighth District exhibit higher gender earnings gaps than the national average. Memphis has a gender earnings gap of 23.3 percent, while Louisville posts a gap of 23.4 percent. Despite Arkansas' having the lowest gender earnings gap among the Eighth District's states, the gender gap in Little Rock is as high as 25 percent. St. Louis has the highest gender gap among the major metro areas in the District (27.3 percent), which is 48 percent higher than the national average.

The available data do not allow us to estimate the degree to which differences in education, occupational choice, and labor force experience and attachment between men and women in the Eighth District account for higher gender earnings gaps in the District.

back to text]
  • It is reasonable to believe, therefore, that the actual gender earnings disparity in the second quarter of 2011 is closer to 4 to 5 percent rather than 16.5 percent as presented in the graph. Put differently, the current gender gap in average weekly earnings is about $35. [back to text]
  • In our estimation, the gap is 18.4 percent. [back to text]
[paste:font size="3"]References
Barron, John M.; Black, Dan A.; Loewenstein, Mark A. "Gender Differences in Training, Capital, and Wages." Journal of Human Resources, 1993, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 343-64.

Black, Dan A.; Haviland, Amelia M.; Sanders, Seth G.; and Taylor, Lowell J. "Gender Wage Disparities among the Highly Educated." Journal of Human Resources, 2008, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 630-59.

Blau, Francine D.; and Kahn, Lawrence M. "The U.S. Gender Pay Gap in the 1990s: Slowing Convergence." Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2006, Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 45-66.

Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers—Second Quarter 2011." July 19, 2011. See http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf

CONSAD Research Corp. "An Analysis of Reasons for the Disparity in Wages between Men and Women." January 2009. Seewww.consad.com/content/reports/Gender%20Wage%20Gap%20Final%20Report.pdf

Lowen, Aaron; and Sicilian, Paul. " 'Family-Friendly' Fringe Benefits and the Gender Wage Gap." Journal of Labor Research, 2009, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 101-19.

National Bureau of Economic Research. "CPS Merged Outgoing Rotation Groups, 2010." Seewww.nber.org/data/morg.html

Solberg, Eric; and Laughlin, Teresa. "The Gender Pay Gap, Fringe Benefits, and Occupational Crowding."Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 1995, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 692-708.

Gender Wage Gap May Be Much Smaller Than Most Think