“The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits” -- Willie Dixon

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

"All Your Love (I Miss Loving)" or "All Your Love" is a blues standard written and recorded by Chicago blues guitarist Otis Rush in 1958. Of all of his compositions, it is the best-known with versions by several blues and other artists.[1] "All Your Love" was inspired by an earlier blues song and later influenced other popular songs.

"All Your Love" is a moderate-tempo minor-key twelve-bar blues with Afro-Cuban rhythmic influences. An impromptu song "apparently dashed off ... in the car en route to Cobra's West Roosevelt Road studios"

The earlier Blues song that influenced it

"Lucky Lou", a 1957 instrumental single by blues guitarist Jody Williams

later covered by Clapton/Mayal in Britain

peter Green also part of the British Blues scene heard it

In various interviews, Peter Green acknowledged being influenced by "All Your Love"' when he wrote the rock classic "Black Magic Woman"

During interviews, Peter Green has acknowledged that "Black Magic Woman" was influenced by "All Your Love",[3] an Otis Rush song that had been recorded two years earlier by Green's former band, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers (albeit with Eric Clapton, Green's predecessor, on lead guitar).

and wrote "Black Magic Woman"

which lead to Santana's "Latin Rock" version

While the song follows the same general structure of Peter Green's version, also set in common time, in D minor and using the same melody and lyrics, it is considerably different, with a slightly altered chord pattern (Dm7– Am7–Dm7–Gm7–Dm7–Am7–Dm7), occasionally mixing between the Dorian and Aeolian modes, especially in the song's intro. A curious blend of blues, rock, jazz, 3/2 afro-Cuban son clave, and "Latin" polyrhythms, Santana's arrangement added conga, timbales and other percussion, in addition to organ and piano, to make complex polyrhythms that give the song a "voodoo" feel distinct from the original.

Extra:

Santana on the Blues

Petr Green docu

Zeppelin was listening to Otis Rush

Supper

All Star
Daps
When jazzmen strip everything down in free jazz they get.........................

Screenshot-2021-07-26-Jazz-in-Its-Time.png

Screenshot-2021-07-27-Free-Jazz-Atonality-Explained-The-Jazz-Piano-Site.png

Gotta comb through this thread one day.

Supper

All Star
Daps
I don't think may people realize that Blues was played on banjos and fiddles before guitars.

Henry%2BSon%2BSims%2Band%2BMuddy%2BWaters%2Bat%2BStovall%2BPlantation%2Bin%2Bearly%2B1940s.jpg

later, even played on mandolins (this blues-mando style went into Bluegrass)
bdr-180716-cm.jpg

The blues-type music that was played on the diddley-bows

fs781093.jpg

is the origin/precursor to bottle neck and slide guitar

Some people may consider these artist "Songsters" more than bluesmen.

Songster - Wikipedia

Enslaved musicianers > Freedmen Songsters > Bluesmen all separated an era apart

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Some people may consider these artist "Songsters" more than bluesmen.

Songster - Wikipedia

Enslaved musicianers > Freedmen Songsters > Bluesmen all separated an era apart

yeah, the only real distinction between a songster and bluesman is what they called the blues form (12 bar blues for example) vs non-blues form material (rags, spirituals, hollers, square dances etc..) but in actuality, all pre-war bluesmen were songsters. All style were pretty much performed in shared vocal styles and guitar techniques.

Last edited:

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t know how I just discovered this but I’m happy I did.

blues is the greatest genre of all time

Residents of Rosedale, Mississippi, claim Johnson sold his soul to the devil at the intersection of Highways 1 and 8 in their town, while the 1986 movie Crossroads was filmed in Beulah, Mississippi.

My family owns land and I grew up there in highway 8

There’s so many stories about it.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Why the Blues is one of the most influential musical inventions in American history.

The past century has seen the rise of lots of new styles of music, from jazz to rock to hip-hop to funk, but at the heart of it all sits possibly the most important musical invention in American history: The Blues. The genre lent a voice to struggling communities in the late 1800s, and it's persisted in one form or another ever since, helping shape the musical vocabulary of a nation and the world. You can't understand modern music without understanding the Blues, and you can learn a lot about the Blues just by studying its signature song form: The 12-Bar Blues. It's an iconic device that's been used to great effect by artists in all sorts of styles for over a century, and it just might be the most influential chord progression ever written.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I thought Negro-Spirituals was the roots since it proceeded the Blues?

Negro spirituals are older than the blues but that's more of a religious-based performance style whereas the blues is a performance style, a scale, a harmonic structure, a rhythm, and a tonality. The blues being all those things at once allows it to be a building block for/of ANY type of music, from Gospel, Jazz, Country, Reggae, Bossa Nova, Afro-Cuban, Highlife, even Classical.