"The Chinese are not in Africa because they love Black people so much"Dr. George Ayittey interview

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Why would ANY nation be in Africa because they love black people? That is just silly. The Chinese like everyone else are in Africa because Africa is a continent that has some of the most valuable resources. Its business and nothing more. So this moral stuff is again silly, but we should look at how the businesses are done. At least for now China does not have any strings attached to their business deals with African nations like the West does. And at least China does not have any military bases in Africa like the West does.
AfricaMilitaryMapLegend630.jpg

More importantly since the Chinese economy is growing and they want to become a service economy they need new markets and African nation having a growing middle class would benefit them. Every group is going to be ruthless towards Africa with business deals in trying to get its resources, but its up to African leaders to be competent and get deals that benefit them! Again it all depends on the African LEADERS.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Foreign capital + corrupt African government/local elite and piss poor money management = fail for Africans. Arabs, Europeans, or Chinese or even Romans. At some point people should stop blaming outside languages, customs, and religions and self asses the series of poor leadership or a seemingly flaw in a group. The world works on trade and negotiations and if you keep getting the shyt end of the deal with everyone then the common denominator is you.

Try diversifying your economies and expats sent to study and work abroad in other nations until retirement(or beyond); have them contribute to infrastructure. Instead of "spraying money" at weddings and showers and wearing 24K gold, selfishly keeping(flaunting) money amongst circles(neo-tribalism), go to the rural areas build school, invest in hospitals, and food. Almost 70% of African population live and work in the countryside so there is much potential in rural development instead of mining resources to build skyscrapers.

Hold leaders accountable and change the structure and culture to remove vestiges of colonialism and/or neocolonialism. Disturbing that the sub-Saharan nations are the fastest growing in population and still cannot manage themselves.

Best post in this thread.

CurrencyChase

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ohio, Iowa, & Minnesota
Of course they don't do it for the love of Africa. Its all business but business create money for both sides. Thats why educated black men should be heavily assisting Africa in business deal. Imagine some Chinese company trying to fleece a Harvard graded black man that majored in business. Not going to happen.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I agree. But there are entrenched elites with their hands firmly on the levers of power. Dislodging them would require a concerted effort from a cross-section of society but across Africa you have divisions based on ethnicity, tribe, religion. So if there is an uprising it will probably be split among those lines thus making it ineffective. That's why every uprising in African countries has a myriad of movements and groups with an alphabet soup of acronyms. shyt hits the fan and every crook rallies his people behind him.

This is why I'm open to the idea of breaking up these countries. We have to start from the ground up. Perhaps in the future there can be consolidation among the smaller countries.

Story of the Central African Republic right here. It's easy to say from afar "They just need to get their shyt together and work toegether", and we should, but it's naive to think that these countries are actual unitied societies. I'm also open to the idea of breaking up countries, it's a shame because CAR actually did somewhat manage to build up a semblance of national unity post-independence but let's just say that foreign interests have a way of using whatever internal conflict exists (not only talking about non-African either).

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)

I'm an extremely idealistic & cynical xenophobe who has no interest in dealing with foreigners from a position of weakness. Just look at how Asiatics do business with AA's in our communities.
:manny:
Obviously I'm not the most educated on the topic, I never claimed to be a guru. But even Ray Charles can see where this will lead to.
:coffee:

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Story of the Central African Republic right here. It's easy to say from afar "They just need to get their shyt together and work toegether", and we should, but it's naive to think that these countries are actual unitied societies. I'm also open to the idea of breaking up countries, it's a shame because CAR actually did somewhat manage to build up a semblance of national unity post-independence but let's just say that foreign interests have a way of using whatever internal conflict exists (not only talking about non-African either).
Do you honestly think 'breaking up countries' can ever work in practice?
I think if by some strange miracle the colonial borders are redrawn to accurately represent ethnic borders and ancient/pre colonial kingdoms, it would probably lead to more bloodshed and factionalism within the new splintered groups. And anyway, I think people sometimes overstate the influence of tribalism in tribal conflicts (Lol, seriously).

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
I'm an extremely idealistic & cynical xenophobe who has no interest in dealing with foreigners from a position of weakness. Just look at how Asiatics do business with AA's in our communities.
Obviously I'm not the most educated on the topic, I never claimed to be a guru. But even Ray Charles can see where this will lead to.
:coffee:
'Asiatics' lmfao.

Anyway, I realise that your immature mind is probably convincing you that on a worldwide scale black people are being manipulated and conned by anyone they encounter, but if anything that just tells me you could possibly be projecting your own failures, in the business field or otherwise, on all black people.

Lol

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
'Asiatics' lmfao.

Anyway, I realise that your immature mind is probably convincing you that on a worldwide scale black people are being manipulated and conned by anyone they encounter, but if anything that just tells me you could possibly be projecting your own failures, in the business field or otherwise, on all black people.

Lol

Yeah yeah I know "coli militant", "smart dumb nikka", "dusty hotep"
:pachaha:
My family's black owned businesses I work for got me eating great
:eat:
I've been around successful black people all my life I don't look for foreigners to provide my daily bread. But shyt you can call it what you want.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Do you honestly think 'breaking up countries' can ever work in practice?
I think if by some strange miracle the colonial borders are redrawn to accurately represent ethnic borders and ancient/pre colonial kingdoms, it would probably lead to more bloodshed and factionalism within the new splintered groups. And anyway, I think people sometimes overstate the influence of tribalism in tribal conflicts (Lol, seriously).

I think it would be a needed step. We all know the story of most of these "countries" and of how they were set up, there is no reason at all to believe that it would magically work just because dudes in Berlin draw the line here instead of 120 km further west. We also know that both World Wars were fought in Europe in part for similar reasons : "tribalism" (called "nationalism" in "civilized" countries). Balkan war was about tribalism too.

I think that some countries could go that route, or need to let go of the dated "nation-state" framework. We've seen how that doesn't work in a lot of African countries. Will it be all smooth? Of course not, but anyone who is interested in Africa can see quite easily that a lot of countries have no unity as it is, so why not go a different route? The conflicts that would arise is that, precisely since these countries have currently no unity, you have no central power who could supervise the process, and it would only enbolden even more current splinter/rebel/whatever we want to call them groups. The process in itself would be benefitial imo, and can be done (Tchecoslovaquia seperated with no problem whatsoever) but the issue is that current countries do not provide a safe environment to initiate it. But that doesn't mean the process in itself is wrong.

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
I think it would be a needed step. We all know the story of most of these "countries" and of how they were set up, there is no reason at all to believe that it would magically work just because dudes in Berlin draw the line here instead of 120 km further west. We also know that both World Wars were fought in Europe in part for similar reasons : "tribalism" (called "nationalism" in "civilized" countries). Balkan war was about tribalism too.

I think that some countries could go that route, or need to let go of the dated "nation-state" framework. We've seen how that doesn't work in a lot of African countries. Will it be all smooth? Of course not, but anyone who is interested in Africa can see quite easily that a lot of countries have no unity as it is, so why not go a different route? The conflicts that would arise is that, precisely since these countries have currently no unity, you have no central power who could supervise the process, and it would only enbolden even more current splinter/rebel/whatever we want to call them groups. The process in itself would be benefitial imo, and can be done (Tchecoslovaquia seperated with no problem whatsoever) but the issue is that current countries do not provide a safe environment to initiate it. But that doesn't mean the process in itself is wrong.
Can you give me some examples, (countries), where redrawing borders is a critically important issue?