THE DARK TOWER - (Official Thread)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Those two shootouts at the end are piff tho he shot the sniper thru the scope!!!

:stopitslime:

They do that shyt too many times in Hollywood. I know I seen it in Sniper and Saving Private Ryan, there others I'm forgetting.

Take this rep, my first Stephen King book that I read was the "Gunslinger" and I literally hit the "why do people like this muhfukka again?:what:"
Dude must've become famous off of his weird book ideas, 'cause this writing is horrible. Terrible character development. Dialogue is pretty gahbage at times, it's like the characters have split personalities.:scust:

He writes really quickly and his writing spans like 45 years now, so there's quite a lot of variety.

The Gunslinger was the first in the Dark Tower series and my friend told me that was before he really got rolling with it. It gets better after that. The series took 20+ years to write so he developed as a writer over the course of it.

The Shawshank Redemption, It, The Green Mile, Running Man, The Dead Zone, The Stand - he's written some tight stories. I haven't seen "Misery" but I've heard that's a classic too, one a lot of other authors really respect.

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw this today guys, not gonna lie, it was pretty butt. The first half was pretty boring and didn't really pick up until like 60% of the way through.

Idris and McCounaghey were the best parts, and once the action picked up it was solid. I wouldn't be against a sequel but I doubt it'll get made. The movie should at least make back it's budget but I doubt there will be any demand for a sequel. Movie was a big waste of Idris Elba as well, he was good as Roland but aside from one dream sequence it takes a while for him to get involved.

Movie also felt way longer then 90 minutes, which is not a good sign. But it was badass how Roland kills Walter at the end.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
The bad reviews bother me because this was supposed to launch a tv series starring Idris Elba and Matthew may have starred as well.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
The bad reviews bother me because this was supposed to launch a tv series starring Idris Elba and Matthew may have starred as well.

Unless they use the angle of "all the complaints are that the movie was too short to get the story right" to push the idea that a series would do numbers. I mean if Game of Thrones can get the type of following it has, DT could do the same.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Saw it this morning and this shyt was trash. The effects were decent but this shyt is honestly beneath Idris and Matthew. Storyline was just thin and the "man in black" seems like a repackaged Kilgrave from Jessica Jones. Then, this portal/separate worlds stuff had a poor mans Westworld vibe to it. And if Idris is the gunslinger and finds his way into modern day earth, why is he still rocking with these wack revolvers when theres access to automatic weapons.

I dunno. the script lacked development and things just seemed all over the place. I felt like there were characters/themes from 5 separate movies all mashed into a damn hour and a half flick. And a movie of this nature/concept needs to be at least 2 hours long just to flesh the whole thing out

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
Saw it this morning and this shyt was trash. The effects were decent but this shyt is honestly beneath Idris and Matthew. Storyline was just thin and the "man in black" seems like a repackaged Kilgrave from Jessica Jones. Then, this portal/separate worlds stuff had a poor mans Westworld vibe to it. And if Idris is the gunslinger and finds his way into modern day earth, why is he still rocking with these wack revolvers when theres access to automatic weapons.

I dunno. the script lacked development and things just seemed all over the place. I felt like there were characters/themes from 5 separate movies all mashed into a damn hour and a half flick. And a movie of this nature/concept needs to be at least 2 hours long just to flesh the whole thing out
Was it actually trash or was it just a good action popcorn flick and you're being overzealous?

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I saw it last weekend and it wasn't bad at all IMO but it definitely had problems. If you read the book you could appreciate the little things they dropped throughout (the Christine reference with Jake's friend playing with the red 58 Plymouth Fury, Cujo being walked down the street in New York by some woman in a scene, The Twins from The Shining in the prison for the kids at the beginning, the smiley face that said "Hello There" from Mr. Mercedes, The book for Misery "Misery's Child" showing up, the poster of Rita Hayworth from Andy Dufrane's prison cell from Shawsank Redemption being in the background when Roland and Walter are fighting in the gun shop ). They needed to go a little bit more in depth regarding what the Tower and how things were falling apart. Since Roland already has the Horn of Eld this felt like all of this happened after the book and this is him going for another ride. Bottom line it was impossible to do this as a movie.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
The movie was dog shyt. It deserved the bad reviews and doesn't deserve to have its story furthered. It deserved to be the flop it is.

It needs a fresh start over.

Should have been an HBO show with a got budget.

Last edited:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family

The movie was written like it was a generic low quality YA novel.