The Executive Producer needs to return to Hip Hop

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Yea you can hear it on the record. Those strings, the live pianos...a lot of that was added by Dre. The album was great before Dre stepped in, don't get me wrong. But that Dre shine can take just about anything to another level. I honestly think he's a better producer than beat maker at this point and I'm surprised people ask him to make beats now vs just adding stuff to a finish product.

Dre got exec prod credits on TPAB and DAMN but really didn't do anything on them, whereas he was in the studio quite a bit on GKMC.

BTW I love Alchemist moving into this role. He's done it for years of course but like you pointed out, the last few years have been super prominent. Too much rap right now feels like a bunch of tracks thrown together with a price tag. Having someone who understands sequencing, can come up with a chorus for you, etc is key.
No doubt. And if I had a complaint about Alfredo, it was that Al let Gibbs handle most of the production choices and even sequencing. Boldy said he just asked Al to take the 30 songs they did for Tea in China and Boldface, and to place them where he wanted, and not to even run it by him. When Boldy was asked what features where on each project, he genuinely didn't know. Benny also took a back seat and let Al pick the songs and the track sequencing for Tana Talk 3 back in 2018.

And I've heard Gibbs really trusts Madlib to provide all the beats and handle the sequencing on their MadGibbs work. But on Alfredo, that wasn't the case. I wonder if that's part of the reason I didn't love the sequencing on Alfredo nearly as much as Pinata or Bandana.

And with Dre, I think you can also hear when he stopped being involved in Eminem's albums. As much as people shytted on Relapse, I think it's way more cohesive than anything Em has ever released since then.

:whoa: Bear with me, but I think Conway has good potential as an executive producer rapper. He executive produced everything he's dropped from 2020 to now, and I think From King to a God and La Maquina are by far his most well-rounded records, Lulu is the most interesting batch of Alc beats in a long time (Conway chose them all), and Conway is really leaning into the executive producer role for the 3 artists he has signed to his new label called Drumwork (Jae Skeese, 7xve, and Shots). And I think one last great sign is that he didn't sign anyone that is a diet version of himself. All his artists sound very different. So his ear is clearly open to other styles and sounds. I think he's got potential in this department.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
@Piff Perkins what's up with this new term "curated by..."

I saw it in relation to Pray for Haiti by Mach-Hommy. Westside Gunn said he "curated it".

In the past month I've seen all these posts saying, "Oh, I'd love a project by ABC, curated by XYZ."

:heh:

I feel like it's just a fancy way to describe A&R work or executive production work. It sounds pretentious to me though, and unfortunately I think it's a term that's going to catch on. :snoop:

But funny enough, the back cover just says executive produced

f83a2646fd362a7f1906297b653bbd31.1000x1000x1.jpg

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
@Piff Perkins what's up with this new term "curated by..."

I saw it in relation to Pray for Haiti by Mach-Hommy. Westside Gunn said he "curated it".

In the past month I've seen all these posts saying, "Oh, I'd love a project by ABC, curated by XYZ."

:heh:

I feel like it's just a fancy way to describe A&R work or executive production work. It sounds pretentious to me though, and unfortunately I think it's a term that's going to catch on. :snoop:

But funny enough, the back cover just says executive produced

f83a2646fd362a7f1906297b653bbd31.1000x1000x1.jpg

You have this weird obsession with thay word and it is corny and dumb just stop.
anyway
I think In modern times it comes from Spotify "playlist Curators" it is like a actual job but they aren't quite traditional djs.

I think it is actually appropriate especially with a guy like Westdide Gunn who literally began designing clothing Griselda by Fashion Rebels selects commisioned paintings for cover art

Weird how yall like to devalue and denigrate cultural productions from Black Americans. Self hate manifestation

You lowekey probally hated it because hey ******s cant be artist who curate right. Especially ones involve with Rap...

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
You have this weird obsession with thay word and it is corny and dumb just stop.
anyway
I think In modern times it comes from Spotify "playlist Curators" it is like a actual job but they aren't quite traditional djs.

I think it is actually appropriate especially with a guy like Westdide Gunn who literally began designing clothing Griselda by Fashion Rebels selects commisioned paintings for cover art

Weird how yall like to devalue and denigrate cultural productions from Black Americans. Self hate manifestation

You lowekey probally hated it because hey ******s cant be artist who curate right. Especially ones involve with Rap...
I think I've spoken on the word once or twice, ever?

I love the thread you've made here, and I'm in agreement with it. I'm surprised you're annoyed at me for making a post about that one word.

It's not that serious. They can say curating all they want. Or not. I don't care. I love WSG and GxFR, and I support his work, but I just find him (at times) to be a little bit pretentious. That's all. :whoa:

I like a lot of artists that are way more pretentious than WSG. :manny:

And I love Pray for Haiti. It's right up there as my likely AOTY so far.

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can't stop...won't stop:takedat:

UUUUGGHHHHHHHHHHH HUH NIKKA WHUUUUTTT

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I rope-a-dope the evil with righteous, bobbin' and weavin'
And let the good get even
No doubt. And if I had a complaint about Alfredo, it was that Al let Gibbs handle most of the production choices and even sequencing. Boldy said he just asked Al to take the 30 songs they did for Tea in China and Boldface, and to place them where he wanted, and not to even run it by him. When Boldy was asked what features where on each project, he genuinely didn't know. Benny also took a back seat and let Al pick the songs and the track sequencing for Tana Talk 3 back in 2018.

And I've heard Gibbs really trusts Madlib to provide all the beats and handle the sequencing on their MadGibbs work. But on Alfredo, that wasn't the case. I wonder if that's part of the reason I didn't love the sequencing on Alfredo nearly as much as Pinata or Bandana.

And with Dre, I think you can also hear when he stopped being involved in Eminem's albums. As much as people shytted on Relapse, I think it's way more cohesive than anything Em has ever released since then.

:whoa: Bear with me, but I think Conway has good potential as an executive producer rapper. He executive produced everything he's dropped from 2020 to now, and I think From King to a God and La Maquina are by far his most well-rounded records, Lulu is the most interesting batch of Alc beats in a long time (Conway chose them all), and Conway is really leaning into the executive producer role for the 3 artists he has signed to his new label called Drumwork (Jae Skeese, 7xve, and Shots). And I think one last great sign is that he didn't sign anyone that is a diet version of himself. All his artists sound very different. So his ear is clearly open to other styles and sounds. I think he's got potential in this department.

Good point on Conway. Lulu sounds great to me, and I liked From a King To A God. Didn't listen to the other one. He knows what works for him. I do wish he'd bring in somebody to challenge him though.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I think that the Dre/Bass Brothers combination is Em's winning formula. All of those albums are considered his better ones.
I rope-a-dope the evil with righteous, bobbin' and weavin'
And let the good get even

Good point on Conway. Lulu sounds great to me, and I liked From a King To A God. Didn't listen to the other one. He knows what works for him. I do wish he'd bring in somebody to challenge him though.
I agree with both of you guys on all of that. Good points.