The "FORGOTTEN Minority" In Police Shootings (Goes Under Reported)

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I know this isn't a Black issue, but as minorities it affects all of us. Especially, being profiled and shot by law enforcement. Now, I made a thread like this a few months back. However, the police killings are getting worse with Native Americans. They have sky-rocked just this month.

I don't care if you're Gypsy, Native American, Muslim, Jewish, Black, Hispanic, or what not. All oppression is wrong and as a person with morals I stand against it.

P.S. I did NOT quote the whole article because that's against the rules. Anyway, the link to the full article is down below.

The forgotten minority in police shootings
By Elise Hansen, CNN

Updated 2:51 PM ET, Mon November 13, 2017

171110121013-paul-castaway-protest-march---restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

Protesters denounce the police-involved shooting of Native American Paul Castaway in Denver in 2015.
Story highlights
  • Native Americans are killed in police encounters at a higher rate than any other racial or ethnic group
  • Native Lives Matter raises awareness about police violence against Native Americans

(CNN)Allegations of excessive police use of force against African-Americans have captured the nation's attention in recent years. But there's another group whose stories you're less likely to hear about.

Native Americans are killed in police encounters at a higher rate than any other racial or ethnic group, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Yet rarely do these deaths gain the national spotlight.

This lack of attention has prompted some advocates to start social media campaigns reminiscent of Black Lives Matter.

"Native American people are basically invisible to most of the people in the country," said Daniel Sheehan, general counsel for the Lakota People's Law Project.

For every 1 million Native Americans, an average of 2.9 of them died annually from 1999 to 2015 as a result of a "legal intervention," according to a CNN review of CDC data broken down by race. The vast majority of these deaths were police shootings. But a few were attributed to other causes, including manhandling. That mortality rate is 12% higher than for African-Americans and three times the rate of whites.

Even though the annual rate of death is higher, the number of Native American deaths is relatively small. An estimated 22 Native Americans and Native Alaskans died at the hands of police in 2016, and another 18 have died so far this year, according to Fatal Encounters, an online database compiled by a former editor at the Reno News & Review in Nevada.

It is widely considered one of the most complete sources on deaths resulting from police encounters. CNN excluded deaths caused by car crashes from Fatal Encounters' tally.

This count doesn't include another fatal shooting on Wednesday. A sheriff's deputy shot and killed 14-year-old Jason Pero on the Bad River Reservation in northern Wisconsin.

A report by the Wisconsin Department of Justice said that Pero refused to drop a butcher knife and then lunged twice at the deputy.

The state Department of Justice, which is continuing to investigate, said the boy himself called 911, giving his own physical description.

The Associated Press reported that Pero's family questions the police account and says the boy was home from school sick.

"(There is) no reason you can justify shooting a 14-year-old boy," Pero's mother, Holly Gauthier, told WDIO-TV.

While most fatal use of police force cases that have been investigated are ruled justifiable, some of the deaths caught on video have raised cries of excessive or inappropriate use of force
Death led to awareness

Paul Castaway's death in the summer of 2015 was one of those controversial shootings that moved his family to fight for wider attention to police violence against Native Americans.

A district attorney's report gave the following account of Castaway's death:
On July 12, 2015, Castaway's mother called 911, breathless. "My son, he pulled a knife on me. He's mentally ill and he's drunk," she said.

Castaway had entered her home without her permission and poked her in the neck with a kitchen knife before running out the back door.

When police arrived, they chased Castaway, who demanded that police kill him and then pressed the knife to his own throat.

Video surveillance footage appears to show Castaway was still holding the knife to his throat with both hands as he walked toward one of the officers.

That officer backed away and fired his gun three times, hitting Castaway twice in the torso. Castaway fell to the ground, and police handcuffed him. He died at the hospital, according to The Denver Post.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/us/native-lives-matter/index.html

Last edited: