The "Hands Up" act if passed could see major change in our communities.

blqbird

I've been thuggin through my rainy days...
Daps
Reppin
DMV
“Hands Up” Act would punish cops for shooting “unarmed” people

Sign the Petition

A graduate student at Southern Illinois University thinks he knows more about policing than everyone in the judicial system. And so, in a move most likely made to garner attention, he’s pushing for legislation that will tie the hands of cops.

Travis Washington has launched a petition for a piece of legislation that would make it illegal for police officers to shoot someone if the person is found without a weapon. Of course he doesn’t define what a “weapon” is.

“The ‘Hands Up Act” was an idea I created to prevent police officers from shooting unarmed citizens,” Washington said. “We’ve seen all over the country, where citizens have been shot unarmed without any guns in their hands, such as Terence Crutcher, Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. After they were shot unarmed, these officers have never served any prison sentences.”

Washington believes that officers who shoot someone who is “unarmed” should serve a 15 year mandatory sentence, which is what the act calls for. Of course this is based on his “feelings” as opposed to any actual criminal justice backing.

“What inspired me to do it [is] a disconnect between the community and police officers,” Washington said. “If we want to rebuild this trust, we need laws in order to regain the trust.”

Benefited

Banned
Daps
Being shot comes with the territory of living in a European dominant society. Keep trying to pass laws instead of just working to get the hell out of this proverbial zoo:respect:

doublejump

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Bro where tf did you find this article holy shyt.

You couldnt find a story about this that wasnt clearly penned by an enraged racist?
You hit this on the nose. The amount of condescension in this article was sickening.

On subject , I'm willing to try anything just shy of civil war for complete reform.