The hatred for Mutants in the Marvel Universe has never made sense to me

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It's a metaphor for how America treated black people breh
Metaphor makes no sense when you factor in all of the other super-powered beings in the Marvel U that are beloved and accepted.
To use the black people angle it would be like if people were only racist against black people of Caribbean descent but were perfectly fine with all other black people.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I would think the only thing that makes them a little bit more personal to the average guy compared to the other superheroes is that unlike the others, any random person could give birth to a mutant child and the way they respond to that can go either way. I'd just say though that besides the fact that they co-exist with other heroes, the thing that makes NO sense especially with this topic in mind, is that most of the hero groups are based in the same area. If there's like 7/8 superhero groups in NY, then why would you live there. :what:

fukkery is constantly going on in Marvel's New York

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
Metaphor makes no sense when you factor in all of the other super-powered beings in the Marvel U that are beloved and accepted.
To use the black people angle it would be like if people were only racist against black people of Caribbean descent but were perfectly fine with all other black people.
No. It still holds up

Savior

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
Yeah it only really makes sense if they're in their own universe rather than with the rest of the Marvel heroes. Thats how I always looked at it when I was younger anyways :yeshrug:

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps

What he said. Also you gotta remember the x men were around during the infancy of the universe so it made more sense for the hatred then before it just became overwhelmed with super powered people. But even then, most of those are science experiments. Mutants are identified early on as having the mutant gene, almost like jewish people in concentration camps

From Stan Lee himself
Lee then swapped jokes for seriousness, when he stated "I wanted them to be diverse. The whole underlying principal of the X-Men was to try to be an anti-bigotry story to show there’s good in every person.”

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
doesn't make sense but I think they tried to reconcile it with the "all superhumans are a threat" storylines awhile back. Civil War was basically about this

tbh the mutants being a metaphor for black people thing always seemed weak to me too. shyt was way deeper than skin color or "they hate us cause we're different". There are mutants who can literally destroy the world. A real life Professor X would be the most dangerous creature on the planet. If these people existed in real life we'd def have to kill them all immediately lol

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I'd be scared of superhumans period mutants or not. The comparisons/metaphor between blacks and mutants end at them being massacred unjustly for being born a certain way. Black people can't wipe out city blocks or control the weather. No black person was a threat to multiverse and wiped out universes like Mad Jim Jaspers. In Xmen 2 prof Xavier almost wiped out every human off the face of the earth in one move. Though I kinda agree with the OP since there are many non mutants who have done the same.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
It's always made sense. It's the old jealousy of a clear genetically superior being. It mirrors the hatred whites have of Blacks. Hated just for being born and being different.....what doesn't make sense is why they don't hate the Captain Marvels, the Thors, and the other powered heroes as much as the mutants.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
doesn't make sense but I think they tried to reconcile it with the "all superhumans are a threat" storylines awhile back. Civil War was basically about this

tbh the mutants being a metaphor for black people thing always seemed weak to me too. shyt was way deeper than skin color or "they hate us cause we're different". There are mutants who can literally destroy the world. A real life Professor X would be the most dangerous creature on the planet. If these people existed in real life we'd def have to kill them all immediately lol

Word. No way would someone like Storm or Kitty Pryde face similar day-to-day discrimation like Beast would. Even Professor X, assuming he had full control of his powers and was low key about it, would probably be alright for the most part. Even Wolverine was able to blend in for hundreds of years.

The Beasts, Nightcrawlers, even folks like Cyclops and Rogue? Different story.

Ironically, Storm, Bishop, Cecilia Reyes, and other black characters from X-men would probably get more flack on a day-to-day basis....for being black.

Last edited:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I would think the only thing that makes them a little bit more personal to the average guy compared to the other superheroes is that unlike the others, any random person could give birth to a mutant child and the way they respond to that can go either way. I'd just say though that besides the fact that they co-exist with other heroes, the thing that makes NO sense especially with this topic in mind, is that most of the hero groups are based in the same area. If there's like 7/8 superhero groups in NY, then why would you live there. :what:

fukkery is constantly going on in Marvel's New York

It's deeper than that..they were actually born with mutant powers. Everyone else were imbued or magically transformed or gamma radiation or bitten by spiders or given powers by demons like Ghost Rider or given a magic hammer like Thor or given super serum like Captain America. Symbiotes like Carnage and Venom. Yadda, yadda. Mutants were actually born to be SUPERIOR.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
When them white folks wild on Storm and she was like "i dont know if its because im a mutant or because im black." :mjcry:

She better know :mjpls:

EDIT: @BXKingPin82, on some real shyt that's exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. The X-men came out in the '60s and Storm in was created in the mid-70's. She literally could've been in the situation you've described and her powers would've had nothing to do with it. Hell, they most likely wouldn't even know that she had them.

Hence why the civil rights metaphor, as well-intentioned as it was, never worked for me.

Last edited: