The Lack Of Radio Airplay Is The Main Reason Why Newer/Indie Artists...?

Giselle

Daps
The lack of radio airplay is the main reason why newer/indie artists have a more difficult time "blowing up" or becoming more well known. Taking a longer time to become more well known. I wasn't sure how to word it.

This thread was inspired by this interview

Astro/Stro said in order for him to expand his brand, he needs radio airplay.

Ebro basically said, he needs to expand his brand before he can get radio airplay. He said that he doesn't support/play them on the radio until after they are "hot in the streets". the streets=internet & the clubs.

Idk how "hot" Ebro want the guy to get. He's "hot" enough to be interviewed by you and get 140k views in 6 days, but he's not hot enough for you to play his songs sometimes? I don't get it.

They said other stuff too, that's why you should watch. Both of them seemed to be in their feelings during this discussioin/debate.

What do you think about this?

I'm not sure yet. Before I decide, I need an old person to tell me how the radio worked back in the day. People were able to call in and request songs? Did they play the same 10 songs on the radio everyday? How/When did they play new artists? Were those artists "hot in the streets" first? Tell me about the motown radio days all the way up to the early 2000's. Tell me about paying for radio airplay. I know some people do it, but who and how?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Youtube is radio airplay...

The Radio is damn near irrelevant...That is why these "DJs" are filming their interviews and posting them on Youtube...:russ:

J Cole just earned himself $25Million dollars, and that's because he used his internet fame to go on tour...This is the new model...

You get famous on Youtube, and then you go touring...There are dudes that are never on radio making millions out there based on Youtube success...

These artists need to learn to work to earn...

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

The Radio is damn near irrelevant...That is why these "DJs" are filming their interviews and posting them on Youtube...:russ:

J Cole just earned himself $25Million dollars, and that's because he used his internet fame to go on tour...This is the new model...

You get famous on Youtube, and then you go touring...There are dudes that are never on radio making millions out there based on Youtube success...

Yup.

These major labels made the game unfair for new cats since the majors pay for radio play and Clear Channel eats it up. They damn sure not gonna give a break and spins to some new cat for free when the majors drop those checks to keep the same songs on repeat. One of the best things about today is that you don't need those clowns anymore on terrestrial radio to make it big and eat. That old model drying up. Hopefully terrestrial gets it shyt together before they become completely irrelevant.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
He's just talking to talk and sound smart.

He's a child. There are really no children in this day and age who are dying for radio, listen to radio over all other things, or even care at all. He probably doesn't have any friends who actively listen to the radio but is complaining about it.

SUPER tired of any arguments that so and so doesn't get radio play so they don't blow up or can't grow. This isn't the main outlet for new music anymore and hasn't been for a while now.

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
Radio is the last form of mainstream

Nowadays if you heard it on the radio first then you are the last to hear it.

Any artist who voices this "problem" isn't marketing himself well

Yeah like I was listening to the radio last week and they said "We got this new joint Fetty Wap " 679" and I heard the song before the summer :heh:

Giselle

Daps

youtube is the new radio, new artists that still care about the old media like that are lost

Yup.

These major labels made the game unfair for new cats since the majors pay for radio play and Clear Channel eats it up. They damn sure not gonna give a break and spins to some new cat for free when the majors drop those checks to keep the same songs on repeat. One of the best things about today is that you don't need those clowns anymore on terrestrial radio to make it big and eat. That old model drying up. Hopefully terrestrial gets it shyt together before they become completely irrelevant.

Radio is the last form of mainstream

Nowadays if you heard it on the radio first then you are the last to hear it.

Any artist who voices this "problem" isn't marketing himself well

He's just talking to talk and sound smart.

He's a child. There are really no children in this day and age who are dying for radio, listen to radio over all other things, or even care at all. He probably doesn't have any friends who actively listen to the radio but is complaining about it.

SUPER tired of any arguments that so and so doesn't get radio play so they don't blow up or can't grow. This isn't the main outlet for new music anymore and hasn't been for a while now.

I agree with some of you, but the radio is important. It lets you reach a wider audience. The internet is not the radio. People have to search for music on the internet, they have to already know about or have heard of the person, then be interested enough to search for their music. To get people to listen to you on the internet, to get them to give you a chance, you'd probably have to spam them/their website/ people's social media. Radio forces (not really) everyone whose listening to the station to listen to it, decide if they like the song, and then they go search for them on the internet. Radio airplay is needed. People do still listen to the radio, everyone doesn't have new cars that they can hook their phone/ipod up to.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
astro not that good. He's ok but his last mixtape was boring

FSP

Banned
Daps
I agree with some of you, but the radio is important. It lets you reach a wider audience. The internet is not the radio. People have to search for music on the internet, they have to already know about or have heard of the person, then be interested enough to search for their music. To get people to listen to you on the internet, to get them to give you a chance, you'd probably have to spam them/their website/ people's social media. Radio forces (not really) everyone whose listening to the station to listen to it, decide if they like the song, and then they go search for them on the internet. Radio airplay is needed. People do still listen to the radio, everyone doesn't have new cars that they can hook their phone/ipod up to.
This isn't about the people listening to it tho.
It's about who owns the radio stations. And their priorities. They market research these songs to death, because, no, you don't HAVE to listen to the station or the song, changing is just a flip of the switch away, and if you think the radio station is gonna lose money by taking a chance on some small time talent then :ufdup:

So you already have to be heard to make it on the radio, I'm sure it wasn't always like this but because of the internet I'm sure their wallets have gotten a bit tight

There are some exceptions, like having connections to local djs, getting play in magic city, that'll get you airplay without the notoriety. But for the most part you gotta already be kinda there to get any significant air time

The point is, if you're small time, you gotta use other methods, and there are a lot of alternatives now, unlike the 90's, to reach a wider audience. So complaining about that is an excuse in this day and age. It's all about the politics:ufdup:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member

While I am not completely discounting radio and you make fair points about having music hand delivered....if you are banking your whole buzz on radio, you are fukking up and it isn't the main way people consume music anymore.

Any car made since about 2009 has the ability to have an aux cord or bluetooth not to mention most have had cd players since 2001.

Giselle

Daps
This isn't about the people listening to it tho.
It's about who owns the radio stations. And their priorities. They market research these songs to death, because, no, you don't HAVE to listen to the station or the song, changing is just a flip of the switch away, and if you think the radio station is gonna lose money by taking a chance on some small time talent then :ufdup:

So you already have to be heard to make it on the radio, I'm sure it wasn't always like this but because of the internet I'm sure their wallets have gotten a bit tight

There are some exceptions, like having connections to local djs, getting play in magic city, that'll get you airplay without the notoriety. But for the most part you gotta already be kinda there to get any significant air time

The point is, if you're small time, you gotta use other methods, and there are a lot of alternatives now, unlike the 90's, to reach a wider audience. So complaining about that is an excuse in this day and age. It's all about the politics:ufdup:

Like what?
The 90's had so many shows on mtv to help them become more well known, and I think they had a better chance of their music being played on the radio.

If your talking about the internet, like I said, you have to spam people, ask/beg them to listen to your music and share your stuff. So many people do that and most people ignore those people.

While I am not completely discounting radio and you make fair points about having music hand delivered....if you are banking your whole buzz on radio, you are fukking up and it isn't the main way people consume music anymore.

Any car made since about 2009 has the ability to have an aux cord or bluetooth not to mention most have had cd players since 2001.

He's not doing that. That guy is known. He's an actor and a rapper. He is somewhat popular on the internet which is why his interview got 140k views in 6 days, but ebro still told him that he isn't "hot enough".
One of the cars that I drive is older than me and doesn't have either one. & most people stopped buying cd's when ipods and mp3 players came out.