The Lack Of Radio Airplay Is The Main Reason Why Newer/Indie Artists...?

scuba

All Star
Daps
Radio has always been radio. Only real difference is that all the stations merged as soon as it became legal. After that basically all geographic music scenes died... And as a result to be a hit in an area you got to be a national hit... Since you got to pay for national spins instead of local spins now it's much more expensive to get on the radio...

Radio is much less important than it used to be, but it will always have some value do to its centralized nature.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is it really like that tho? I hear viral hits on the radio sometimes. Including Coco, Watch Me, Flicka Da Wrist, U Guessed It, Hot nikka.... i mean the radio isn't helping indie dudes build but it's not like they're being shut out either. Seems like there's even more One Hit Wonder types around than ever.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Youtube is radio airplay...

The Radio is damn near irrelevant...That is why these "DJs" are filming their interviews and posting them on Youtube...:russ:

J Cole just earned himself $25Million dollars, and that's because he used his internet fame to go on tour...This is the new model...

You get famous on Youtube, and then you go touring...There are dudes that are never on radio making millions out there based on Youtube success...

These artists need to learn to work to earn...

u think he gets most of that money? :russ::stopitslime:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Radio is the last form of mainstream

Nowadays if you heard it on the radio first then you are the last to hear it.

Any artist who voices this "problem" isn't marketing himself well

Yeah like I was listening to the radio last week and they said "We got this new joint Fetty Wap " 679" and I heard the song before the summer :heh:

:ehh: This is true. Nowadays, singles are released digitally for sale on iTunes & etc. before they they get released to radio.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
u think he gets most of that money? :russ::stopitslime:
The point is that he was able to generate that kind of money...Even if he gets 1% of it, it is 250K...For doing what exactly? Fcuking groupies, traveling, smoking weed in the studio and doing what you love...

That was just tickets sold...We aren't even talking merchandise and endorsements, sponsors and etc...

Dude is caking off internet fame...:manny:

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
So Astro wanted more spins on hot97? or just even more support from the radio stations in NY in general?:ohhh:

Or he feels just the simple fact that NY radio should support their own like other regions?:ehh:

I feel him on that but radio the last step in the game now.. u can play troy average all day in new york and nikkas still not gonna support if u wack:yeshrug:

If ur record hot...its hot, radio will eventually catch up to the internet/club wave if its popping:takedat:

Is Astro signed to a record label? He better get on that grind and decide if he wanna be a actor or an artist..cuz red band society on nbc was wack:usure:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
He's not doing that. That guy is known. He's an actor and a rapper. He is somewhat popular on the internet which is why his interview got 140k views in 6 days, but ebro still told him that he isn't "hot enough".
One of the cars that I drive is older than me and doesn't have either one. & most people stopped buying cd's when ipods and mp3 players came out.

If he's getting good exposure at that level, why is he complaining? That's better than his song getting a single radio spin randomly on Hot97.

Son who said buying? People burn cds even till this day. The radio is not the main way people listen to music and regular radio is not even the #1 way people listen to media in their car anymore. So much is off people's phones in the form of their own music, pandora/spotify types, that regular radio is now the 3rd option for people who don't own 10 year old cars.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Youtube is radio airplay...

The Radio is damn near irrelevant...That is why these "DJs" are filming their interviews and posting them on Youtube...:russ:

J Cole just earned himself $25Million dollars, and that's because he used his internet fame to go on tour...This is the new model...

You get famous on Youtube, and then you go touring...There are dudes that are never on radio making millions out there based on Youtube success...

These artists need to learn to work to earn...

j.cole was signed the entire time.

his internet fame was fueled by label-backing. he wasn't some underground sensation.

nobody gets famous on the internet, unless theyre some sort of fluke or novelty act.

I agree with some of you, but the radio is important. It lets you reach a wider audience. The internet is not the radio. People have to search for music on the internet, they have to already know about or have heard of the person, then be interested enough to search for their music. To get people to listen to you on the internet, to get them to give you a chance, you'd probably have to spam them/their website/ people's social media. Radio forces (not really) everyone whose listening to the station to listen to it, decide if they like the song, and then they go search for them on the internet. Radio airplay is needed. People do still listen to the radio, everyone doesn't have new cars that they can hook their phone/ipod up to.

THIS

and the artists whose music gets spammed thru the internet are 99% of the time signed to major labels.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
I agree with some of you, but the radio is important. It lets you reach a wider audience. The internet is not the radio. People have to search for music on the internet, they have to already know about or have heard of the person, then be interested enough to search for their music. To get people to listen to you on the internet, to get them to give you a chance, you'd probably have to spam them/their website/ people's social media. Radio forces (not really) everyone whose listening to the station to listen to it, decide if they like the song, and then they go search for them on the internet. Radio airplay is needed. People do still listen to the radio, everyone doesn't have new cars that they can hook their phone/ipod up to.

Tell these dumb wannabe-smart nikkas lol.

Even internet based platforms have radio-like implementation (Pandora) where an artist is blasted to you and you are forced to skip or keep playing it. Even Spotify and Apple added radio implementation.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
people really think these internet message board & blog-rap buzzes are really organic and not fueled by label money.:mjlol:

and most of yall should know better, seeing that yall post on here everyday and know dam well if somebody posts a link to a new artist, you don't even click on the thread.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
people really think these internet message board & blog-rap buzzes are really organic and not fueled by label money.:mjlol:

and most of yall should know better, seeing that yall post on here everyday and know dam well if somebody posts a link to a new artist, you don't even click on the thread.

:yeshrug: Sounds like you'd be a shytty owner of a record label to be honest.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:yeshrug: Sounds like you'd be a shytty owner of a record label to be honest.

this has no correlation to my post.

you just came in here to throw dirt when you saw my name, cuz youre mad about the industry plant threads.

my post made you feel stupid.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
that song is ass cheeks tho

wannabe Bone Thugs/southern bounce flow (he can't even make up his mind which one he wants to do) with Wu sound and new drums :sadcam::scust:

tumblr_m7ft6kpa701qd4xnro1_500.gif

that being said, i agree but i don't, Ebro doesn't control what gets played, even when he was PD he didn't control shyt. they get playlists they HAVE to play, i don't know how much input they actually have.