The Legacy of Arab-Islam in Africa and it's role in the Slave trade

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so what? everyone had slaves since the beginning of time. even africans in africa. the only reason slavery is a problem TODAY in 21st century America is because its legacy still lives with us.

what made the enslavement of africans by europeans post 1500 insidious is that for the first time in world history, white europeans tied RACE into who could and couldn't be a slave. in ancient greece and rome, there were slaves. however, the slaves were every type of race. so after a few generations when people were freed, no one knew who was a slave and who wasn't. that obviously wasn't the case in america. and this legacy of racial bias tied to slavery still lives with us today.

RACISM is the problem not slavery. there are alot of evils that happened in the past. people committed genocides, canabilism, slavery, etc. the only reason the evils of the trans-atlantic slave trade still live with us today is because it was tied to RACE.
That doesn't take away the fact that they are invading slavers. Sure in the modern context its effects aren't felt like CAC slavery but, it still sucked so I don't get why you got beef with me stating a fact that they were invading slave owners.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Looking at the history of Africa, I don't think one can point to the 'Arab Slave Trade' and say, "Look! Islam's role in African history has been overwhelmingly negative." I think it's not only simplistic but also wrong.

Islam had a role in creating the civilizations which existed in the Sahel. Sahelian culture was far more vibrant and long-lasting than other grassland cultures found in Central Asia or the North American plains, for example. The Sokoto Caliphate was conquered by the British in 1902. They connected African peoples (via faith) across a wide area of the continent allowing states such as Mali, Tukolor to become wealthy and large.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Islamic traditions with African roots have been explored by Muslim scholars and clerics. Whether it's Sufi brotherhoods in Mali or the written works of Usman dan Fodio, put to paper 200 years ago.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I'm not fan of the Wahabist interpretation of Islam which seeks to dominate the Ummah, but lumping all of Islam together and saying it was bad for Africa ignores how important Islam has been for African cultures and states. Besides, many of you might have had literate Muslim ancestors
:jawalrus:

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not fan of the Wahabist interpretation of Islam which seeks to dominate the Ummah, but lumping all of Islam together and saying it was bad for Africa ignores how important Islam has been for African cultures and states. Besides, many of you might have had literate Muslim ancestors
:jawalrus:
It's not Islam its Arabs that suck. Most Muslims aren't Arab.

Daps
Looking at the history of Africa, I don't think one can point to the 'Arab Slave Trade' and say, "Look! Islam's role in African history has been overwhelmingly negative." I think it's not only simplistic but also wrong.

Islam had a role in creating the civilizations which existed in the Sahel. Sahelian culture was far more vibrant and long-lasting than other grassland cultures found in Central Asia or the North American plains, for example. The Sokoto Caliphate was conquered by the British in 1902. They connected African peoples (via faith) across a wide area of the continent allowing states such as Mali, Tukolor to become wealthy and large.
Islamic traditions with African roots have been explored by Muslim scholars and clerics. Whether it's Sufi brotherhoods in Mali or the written works of Usman dan Fodio, put to paper 200 years ago.

it's been proven that Ancient Malian and other Africa civilizations often falsely attributed to a-rab influence predated Islam

Mali for instance had advanced urban settlements which existed far before Islam when sand cacs were pagan fukking goats in desert caves.

check 17:25 mark of video

what socalled civilizations did Islam create which didn't involve Africans selling other Africans to into Muslm/ arab slavery?:shaq2: Islam expansioin into Africa was Imperialism no different than European colonization and had the same devastating after effects on the continent which are still felt today..

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
it's been proven that Ancient Malian and other Africa civilizations often falsely attributed to a-rab influence predated Islam

Mali for instance had advanced urban settlements which existed far before Islam when sand cacs were pagan fukking goats in desert caves.

what socalled civilizations did Islam create which didn't involve Africans selling other Africans to into Muslm/ arab slavery?:shaq2: Islam expansioin into Africa was Imperialism no different than European colonization and had the same devastating after effects on the continent which are still felt today..

Mali of course had settled communities prior to the Islamic conversion of its inhabitants. What I'm saying is that Islam enriched African societies. Additionally, labeling Islam as overwhelmingly negative is very reductive of African history. Moreover, your point about Africans selling each other into slavery due to the influence of Islam is odd because Africans enslaved each other regardless of their religious beliefs. Check out the Kingdom of Dahomey and the Arochukwu Confederacy

ImmaGetJoeClarkArrested

The Goshfather
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles So Wut U Wanna Do??
:ohhh:
I hope those who deride Islam in this thread refrain from praising Mansa Musa and the Mali Empire, Ancient Ghana, Kanem-Borno, the Sokoto Caliphate, the Ajami writing system etc. etc.

:francis:
Whoa wut was wrong with mansa musa he's my idol I haven't heard anything crazy about him

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

:umad:Chris Abeed-B!