The Long-Shot Candidate Who Has the White House Worried - Joe Biden has a Cornel West problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
:dead:

If I’m a low information voter

Still waiting for any evidence to the contrary.

then y’all are delusional voters. There is no scenario we’re not voting for democrats will get your unrealistic progressive dreams fulfilled

I didn't say it would. I didn't say that I wouldn't vote for Democrats.

But you are MANIFESTEDLY worried about people not voting for the Democrats. So wouldn't it make sense to actually attempt to appeal to said people, rather than simply trying to berate them on the internet? Most non-voters and third-party voters probably don't even take part in these discussions, so what good do you think you're doing?

We saw this in 2016 with “Bernie bros” not voting for Hilary.

"Bernie Bros" in 2016 voted for Hillary at a HIGHER rate than Hillary voters voted for Obama in 2008. And that's despite the fact that Bernie Bros were far less likely to be committed centrist democrats than Hillary voters were. So what exactly do you think you proved there?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Minimizing republican power is the single most important reason to vote
Low information voter And tribal. There is No difference in your mindset from a bog standard GOP voter, which is why you tend to agree with the GOP on a bunch of issues.

I mock you on this but a lot of this forum thinks like you too but don’t realize it.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Still waiting for any evidence to the contrary.

I didn't say it would. I didn't say that I wouldn't vote for Democrats.

But you are MANIFESTEDLY worried about people not voting for the Democrats. So wouldn't it make sense to actually attempt to appeal to said people, rather than simply trying to berate them on the internet? Most non-voters and third-party voters probably don't even take part in these discussions, so what good do you think you're doing?

"Bernie Bros" in 2016 voted for Hillary at a HIGHER rate than Hillary voters voted for Obama in 2008. And that's despite the fact that Bernie Bros were far less likely to be committed centrist democrats than Hillary voters were. So what exactly do you think you proved there?
Why would I not be worried about people not voting for Dems when it counts as a vote for republicans.

That’s what started this argument. Show me the independents that are splitting the Republican vote or leading to republican voter suppression? Kanye :mjlol:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
From my perspective (and a game theory perspective?), it seems like a poor bet to vote for Cornel West.

Hypothetically, let's say you start out w/ $100 and lose a dollar for every policy/ability to govern you disagree with. Here is the money you have:

West: $100 (perfect alignment)
Trump: $10 (10% alignment)
Biden: $60 (60% alignment)

Then I look at their odds of winning to determine how likely the payout is:

West: 2%
Trump: 49%
Biden: 49%

Multiple the two to get the expected value of your initial $100 given the bet you place:

West: $2
Trump: $5
Biden: $29

It's probably naive of me to bring in pure mathematical logic to a conversation where people would prefer to be emotional, but from a purely logic perspective, voting for West is a non-starter. In fact if you only agreed with 5% of Biden's policy, it's still has a better payout than Cornel West. It's your money, so you are free to do with it what you want, but at least let's acknowledge if the bets being placed are bad

(Personally, I rank Biden higher than 60% alignment but used a number likely for those on the fence/frustrated with his tenure)

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
From my perspective (and a game theory perspective?), it seems like a poor bet to vote for Cornel West.

Hypothetically, let's say you start out w/ $100 and lose a dollar for every policy/ability to govern you disagree with. Here is the money you have:

West: $100 (perfect alignment)
Trump: $10 (10% alignment)
Biden: $60 (60% alignment)

Then I look at their odds of winning to determine how likely the payout is:

West: 2%
Trump: 49%
Biden: 49%

Expected value for your initial $100 given the bet you place:

West: $2
Trump: $5
Biden: $29

It's probably naive of me to bring in pure mathematical logic to a conversation where people would prefer to be emotional, but from a purely logic perspective, voting for West is a non-starter. In fact if you only agreed with 5% of Biden's policy, it's still has a better payout than Cornel West. It's your money, so you are free to do with it what you want, but at least let's acknowledge if the bets being placed are bad

(Personally, I rank Biden much higher than 60% alignment but I used that number to represent those more frustrated with his tenure)

Yeah, research has suggested that the vast majority of people who switch political allegiances do so for emotional reasons, not rational, so going game theory like this is a non-starter.

But I do see a couple issues with your game theory scenario.

1. What if they're playing the long game, and the goal is not short-term political results, but to influence candidates in the longer term? A losing candidate doesn't necessarily result in a "0 result" in the long term. For example, Barry Goldwater's losing effort in 1964 helped push the Republicans to the right, and Bernie Sanders's losing efforts in 2016 and 2020 helped push the Democrats to the left.

2. What if they view Biden as someone who is not "60% okay", but someone whose policies will lead to continued collapse of the environment or society? For instance, if you believed there was a 100% chance that Trump's policies would lead to environmental collapse, and a 99% chance that Biden's policies would lead to environmental collapse, but only a 50% chance that West's policies would do so, wouldn't the game theory options look different?

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
"Minimizing Republican power" and "preventing the elephant from succeeding" is a very good reason to vote, actually.

For me, the best reason is evidenced by the Trump influence - a Republican president can pick judges that will then block a progressive agenda for not just the next 4 years, but potentially the next 40 years.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, research has suggested that the vast majority of people who switch political allegiances do so for emotional reasons, not rational, so going game theory like this is a non-starter.
I'm not trying to change emotional people's opinion. I'm trying to point out a rational perspective for those still open to it.
But I do see a couple issues with your game theory scenario.

1. What if they're playing the long game, and the goal is not short-term political results, but to influence candidates in the longer term? A losing candidate doesn't necessarily result in a "0 result" in the long term. For example, Barry Goldwater's losing effort in 1964 helped push the Republicans to the right, and Bernie Sanders's losing efforts in 2016 and 2020 helped push the Democrats to the left.
Put a probability to it. What are the odds that the Green Party leading to the reinstatement of an authoritarian president facing prosecution for trying to overthrow the government will make for a healthier democracy in the long-run.

Also, you are looking at 'influencing candidates' while I think a better process is framing things as 'how candidates are viewed'. Does it matter if the Dems shift further to the left if the perception stays the same or gets worse? Manchin/Synema managed to change perceptions of millions of progressives by watering down many policies that lead to the 'Dems just care about multinationals and wallstreet' narrative in spite of what was actually attempted for example.

2. What if they view Biden as someone who is not "60% okay", but someone whose policies will lead to continued collapse of the environment or society? For instance, if you believed there was a 100% chance that Trump's policies would lead to environmental collapse, and a 99% chance that Biden's policies would lead to environmental collapse, but only a 50% chance that West's policies would do so, wouldn't the game theory options look different?
If you believe these risk levels, feel free to update with your personal weightings and let's have a discussion. If it's just hypothetical, then it's not a variable that can be accurately accounted for yet

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Put a probability to it. What are the odds that the Green Party leading to the reinstatement of an authoritarian president facing prosecution for trying to overthrow the government will make for a healthier democracy in the long-run.

First off, objective scientific research suggests that your claim that the Green Party put Trump into office is false. In Pennsylvania, Clinton would have needed 95% of Jill Stein voters to still go to the polls and vote for her, with zero Jill Stein voters turning to Trump. If it broke even 97% Clinton and 3% Trump, she would still lose. Analyses of voting patterns suggest that in reality most Jill Stein voters would have abstained from voting if Jill Stein was not on the ticket.

Now to answer your misleading question anyway, obviously the odds are dramatically unknowable, and you can't Monday Morning Quarterback a single anecdote and then use that to evaluate all future possibilities.

Like I already pointed out, Barry Goldwater winning the Republican nomination in 1964 likely did far more for the right-wing cause in the long term than nominating Nelson Rockefeller would have. Amazingly, this is true despite the fact that Goldwater lost to LBJ, who then proceeded to sign the Voting Rights Act, a second Civil Rights Act, create Medicare, Medicaid, and food stamps, and nominate Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court. Proving that short-term losses do little to predict long-term impact, even when those losses are dramatic.

Also, you are looking at 'influencing candidates' while I think a better process is framing things as 'how candidates are viewed'. Does it matter if the Dems shift further to the left if the perception stays the same or gets worse? Manchin/Synema managed to change perceptions of millions of progressives by watering down many policies that lead to the 'Dems just care about multinationals and wallstreet' narrative in spite of what was actually attempted for example.

Great excuse. Now, what's the excuse for when Obama had the presidency, a solid progressive mandate, and 59 or 60 Dems in the Senate, yet still gifted corporations and banks with damn near the most pro-corporate response imaginable to the economic crisis? Do you not realize that half the young voters you lost were lost right there, they weren't lost from any Synema bullshyt.

Paul Volcker, Alan Greenspan, Robert Rubin, Lawrence Summers, Timothy Geithner....who nominated these people to control our economy? Was that Manchin's fault too?

How about when a dozen Democratic senators (including Feinstein!) voted for Bush's massive 2001 tax cuts and then nearly as many (including Feinstein, Carper, and Wyden) signed on to his Medicare corporate giveaway?

How about when Clinton and numerous democratic legislators decided to join the Republicans and double down on deregulation during the 1990s?

We could go on and on.

If you believe these risk levels, feel free to update with your personal weightings and let's have a discussion. If it's just hypothetical, then it's not a variable that can be accurately accounted for yet

I believe that if we continued Trump policies indefinitely, we would face 100% risk of environmental collapse.

I believe that if we continued Biden policies indefinitely, we would face 100% risk of environmental collapse.

Those facts are widely agreed upon by scientists, who have repeatedly said that we need to take MUCH stronger measures if we are going to stave off catastrophic damage to the planet. The only question is when are we going to start? And centrist democrats appear too short-sighted to think we need to start now, they'd prefer to just take baby steps so they don't piss off their corporate contingency, and hope the actual necessary measures are taken by someone else, later.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
"Minimizing Republican power" and "preventing the elephant from succeeding" is a very good reason to vote, actually.
Who said you shouldn’t vote? You just create a situation and get dapped for it.

There are a bevy of reasons to vote for the Democratic candidate. Find those instead of being tribalist like it’s a football Saturday in the south.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who said you shouldn’t vote? You just create a situation and get dapped for it.

There are a bevy of reasons to vote for the Democratic candidate. Find those instead of being tribalist like it’s a football Saturday in the south.
Voting to stop Republican power, especially in 2023, is the reason for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.