The NBA has more parity than the NFL. Why aren't ppl watching?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
More and more in the NBA we're seeing small market predominantly White cities and cities with White superstars, making it deep in the playoffs or winning titles.
We're also seeing different cities win the finals every year.

Where are all the fans? Why aren't they watching? I was told lack of parity killed the NBA, while NFL parity is the reason why it's more popular.
Yet nobody seems to be turning away from Patrick Mahomes making the superbowl every year. Why? :jbhmm:

Last edited:

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
Maybe people don't want parity:ehh:

Think about it, when there is a generational dominant team and a few rivals, storylines develop and the fanbases become more tribal and naturally viewership increases. I think basketball is more star driven, a few stars and some role players can take you to a championship. While regardless of a Quarterback's greatness as in the case of Mahome's NFL the whole is always more important than the individual and that is inherent to the sport of football. Football as a sport will always be bigger than it's stars, while the status of the NBA is more closely tied to the fortunes of it's superstars.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I still think it's the style of game played today.

It's still too many three pointers or at least the stigma of it being a 3pt contest.

In general, outside of the NFL sports has been taking a hit. Do people even know we have a Unified Heavyweight Champion now?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
the leagues popularity has centered around superstars leading dynasties for 40 years. We haven’t seen parity like this since the 70s and the media/casual fan doesn’t know how to react. And the NBA has always had far more casual fans than the NFL.
But NBA viewership was low in the 1970s and the Bird/Magic dynasties saved the NBA in the 1980s. :jbhmm:

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
I still think it's the style of game played today.

It's still too many three pointers or at least the stigma of it being a 3pt contest.

In general, outside of the NFL sports has been taking a hit. Do people even know we have a Unified Heavyweight Champion now?
If you claim the playoffs have been “three point contests”, you’re obviously in the wrong subforum as you’re clearly regurgitating lazy smears instead of actually watching the games.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
If you claim the playoffs have been “three point contests”, you’re obviously in the wrong subforum as you’re clearly regurgitating lazy smears instead of actually watching the games.
That's why I said it's still the "stigma" of it being a 3pt contest. It's only a theory.

To be honest, nobody really knows the reason why viewership is down. If somebody knows the answer they'd be stupid not to be in the board meetings as this is a problem the NBA has been trying it's best to address. NBA would pay a lot of money to someone who knew what was going on.

Last edited: