The NBA In-Season Tournament Reward Should be HCA

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I've seen people put it out there that the winner should be given a guaranteed Play-In spot, but I think they should look into home court advantage being the main reward for the winner.

There should be a tiered approach for this determined by what seed a team finishes with:

• In-Season Tourney Winner (1-4 Seed Teams) are given HCA when they face a team with a higher seeding in the Playoffs
  • In-Season Tourney Winner (5 or 6 Seed Teams) are given HCA in the 1st Round of the Playoffs
  • In-Season Tourney Winner (7-10 Seeded Teams) are given HCA throughout the Play-In Round
This keeps things competitive for all teams IMO. The top teams will want to win to ensure that they get home court throughout and not against a lower seed.

This also keeps things interesting and incentivizes the rest of the year and seeding really mattering. Another thing to consider, is that this would only impact 1 side of the Playoff Bracket each year.

Only thing that would need to be tweaked would be for the scenario with a 7 Seed winning the In-Season tourney because they already have HCA throughout the Play-In, but other than that, this would work.

:jbhmm:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I’m confused. Everybody keeps talking about what the NBA should do.

But has the NBA actually announced what they WILL do??
Right now, the players just get a bonus of 500K.

They need to raise the stakes to ensure continuous buy-in from fans to the teams. They can still pay them for winning, but if you add in a wrinkle for HCA it really makes things interesting, because it's something that would matter for the entire season.

MLB made the All-Star Game determine who got home field in the damn WS, what I'm proposing would be less extreme than that, but enough to keep the season competitive throughout IMO.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

They need to raise the stakes to ensure continuous buy-in from fans to the teams. They can still pay them for winning, but if you add in a wrinkle for HCA it really makes things interesting, because it's something that would matter for the entire season.

MLB made the All-Star Game determine who got home field in the damn WS, what I'm proposing would be less extreme than that, but enough to keep the season competitive throughout IMO.
Breh. They pay these guys $50 million a year and they still don’t want to show up to play. There’s nothing that’s gonna make these guys wanna compete at this point.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Breh. They pay these guys $50 million a year and they still don’t want to show up to play. There’s nothing that’s gonna make these guys wanna compete at this point.
Not everybody gets $50Ms, and there's already been a mostly positive response from players on it thus far.

Draymond who's one of the most competitive guys in the league is for it.

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps

Running up on 10 years since the MLB moved on from that, champ...