The OFFICIAL 2022 College Football RANDOM THOUGHTS thread

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
The only reason Lane has even been successful post USC is because he's always had a Briles running "his offense". Be it Kendal, The son in law, or Art giving him the blueprint. Take them away and he would flame out faster than a candle in the ocean.
:patrice:That's a fair argument. I can't argue against that point.

However, that shows that Lane can at least adapt and evolve. Mullen was still trying to run his Tebow/Dak offense in 2021 and failed miserably. He can't adapt or change at all, and by that virtue alone, Lane has the potential to be better in this new, constantly changing, college football landscape.

Truth be told, I'd be extremely surprised if Mullen ever coaches in college again. Maybe he could become a Tight Ends coach in the NFL, but he'll never be a HC there. I doubt he can be an OC because his philosophy is too outdated and he can't change.

There are tons of desperate P5 college programs who make trash hires all the time, so maybe one of them would throw enough money at him to come back. But if he does come back, it would probably be a good fit at a program like Jacksonville State or Missouri State, because Mullen is a washed up has been former offensive prodigy just like Rich Rod and Bobby Petrino.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Idk about the briles stuff so when he was the oc at Bama what then
I guess @Silkk could argue that Art gave him the blueprint. Since Lebby was the OC last year.

Also, unlike Mullen, Lane actually is capable of hiring good assistants. Both his DC and OC were hired off by bigger programs. No one would touch anyone from Mullen's staff, as Grantham and Hev are still unemployed. Hell, Mullen couldn't even get an analyst role from Saban but is serving as an analyst in a high school in bum fukk Georgia :mjlol:

The only ones from Mullen's staff who got gigs pretty quickly was CRob who went to a dumpster fire at Auburn, and Coach Crime (who was pretty good). And apparently Coach Crime talked a lot of shyte about how bad Mullen was doing while on the staff. Mullen even ruined Tim Brewster's reputation. That's actually kind of impressive in a "so bad it's good" kind of way :ohhh:

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
What's the difference? What does Lane do better than Mullen?

Kiffen just had the 24th ranked class after playing in a NY6 bowl. He inherited Coral and had to hit the portal for his replacement and other major pieces.
Lane hires a better staff than Mullen and can actually adapt and change.

Yes 24th isn't great, but he's at Ole Miss. Look at his recruiting rankings at Tennessee and USC to see what he could do at a bigger program on the trail.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

However, that shows that Lane can at least adapt and evolve. Mullen was still trying to run his Tebow/Dak offense in 2021 and failed miserably. He can't adapt or change at all, and by that virtue alone, Lane has the potential to be better in this new, constantly changing, college football landscape.

Truth be told, I'd be extremely surprised if Mullen ever coaches in college again. Maybe he could become a Tight Ends coach in the NFL, but he'll never be a HC there. I doubt he can be an OC because his philosophy is too outdated and he can't change.

There are tons of desperate P5 college programs who make trash hires all the time, so maybe one of them would throw enough money at him to come back. But if he does come back, it would probably be a good fit at a program like Jacksonville State or Missouri State, because Mullen is a washed up has been former offensive prodigy just like Rich Rod and Bobby Petrino.
Definitely not mad at Lane for stealing their offense. I’d probably do the same shyt as a CFB coach.

As far as Mullen’s offense goes, I think he moreso just fukked himself by not making the QB change sooner. He showed in the previous seasons that his offense had no problems scoring. Emory Jones just wasn’t it.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Definitely not mad at Lane for stealing their offense. I’d probably do the same shyt as a CFB coach.

As far as Mullen’s offense goes, I think he moreso just fukked himself by not making the QB change sooner. He showed in the previous seasons that his offense had no problems scoring. Emory Jones just wasn’t it.
For sure. I'm just saying, Lane was smart for doing that. Maybe takes away from his "offensive genius" reputation but he is smart enough to steal what works (there's a quote about art: “good artists borrow, great artists steal.” ).

Agree about Mullen fukking himself sticking with Emory. The previous seasons when he scored points was with Trask, who is not one of his typical qb's. He also had Brian Johnson calling plays for Trask, since Mullen doesn't know that type of offense. As soon as Brian Johnson left he got exposed.

Also, Mullen's offense didn't score that well before Franks got hurt. It got better under Trask, but again, that wasn't really his offense. He took all the credit for it because he's a self-centered narcissist, but anyone who paid attention knows that was Brian Johnson's doing along with Trask being a literal hidden gem (who Doug Nussmeier, of all people, found). But that offense under Franks was mid at best. Before getting hurt, Franks and Mullen nearly lost to Miami (in Manny Diaz's first game ever as a HC) and Kentucky (Mullen would've had a 1-3 record against Kentucky if Franks didn't get hurt. Think about that. A team that couldn't beat Florida for like 31 years nearly went 3-1 against Mullen).

904Lurker

R.I.P Young Dolph
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville,Fl

He can't adapt but in 2020 he had a Heisman Finalist Kyle Trask who was a standard pocket QB. Put Mullen in the ACC and he would cause some problems. Mullen's problem is his loyalty to underperforming assistants and laziness on the trail.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Can any Gator fans tell me anything about him?

Not a lot really. He didn't play much at all. He was pretty highly rated recruit. Was excited when he signed with UF.

The only thing that I heard (from online message board chatter) was that during the past year Mullen and Savage (our former S & C trainer) allegedly completely neglected his development both from a football and a physical perspective. If that is true, I'd be surprised if he could contribute much this year, as he is basically just an slightly older version of what he was coming out of HS two years ago in terms of qb skill and physical strength.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
I guess @Silkk could argue that Art gave him the blueprint. Since Lebby was the OC last year.

Also, unlike Mullen, Lane actually is capable of hiring good assistants. Both his DC and OC were hired off by bigger programs. No one would touch anyone from Mullen's staff, as Grantham and Hev are still unemployed. Hell, Mullen couldn't even get an analyst role from Saban but is serving as an analyst in a high school in bum fukk Georgia :mjlol:

The only ones from Mullen's staff who got gigs pretty quickly was CRob who went to a dumpster fire at Auburn, and Coach Crime (who was pretty good). And apparently Coach Crime talked a lot of shyte about how bad Mullen was doing while on the staff. Mullen even ruined Tim Brewster's reputation. That's actually kind of impressive in a "so bad it's good" kind of way :ohhh:

They say the gig isn’t far from his lake house, so i mean do with that info however, also, he may not want to go to nick sabans school for wayward coaches, let’s be honest if he wanted to be on someone’s staff, i don’t think a soul would turn him away, Mullen when it’s all said and done just can’t get out of his own way

Daps
Reppin
Chi

Not a slight, because there was some skill and coaching but an interesting note

@NormanConnors @Whips-n-Chains

What say you

We’ve def had some insane luck and capitalized on it.

However, prior to ~2010 we had some epic collapses and choke jobs…

‘04 in Ann Arbor
‘06 Notre Dame
‘07 vs Mich

I’m pretty sure we led by double digits in the 4th in those games and pissed it away.

We lost to OSU in ‘12 and ‘16 by 1 point each game too…

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

‘04 in Ann Arbor
‘06 Notre Dame
‘07 vs Mich

I’m pretty sure we led by double digits in the 4th in those games and pissed it away.

When Braylon Edwards finally lived up to that #1 jersey :banderas:

tumblr_mvehfoEolE1s9fzcoo1_400.gif

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola

‘04 in Ann Arbor
‘06 Notre Dame
‘07 vs Mich

Only other that’s luckier than y’all has to be auburn, but so much bounced your way down psu down Michigan, osu was star searching so y’all snapped up a bunch of Ohio and Michigan kids and shyt just broke y’all way, you all are what Iowa would be if they just got some damn offense