Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
:mjlol: "the sexy boy".....sounds hella suspect

05_HBK_92.jpg

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Mexico brehs :wow:...all inclusive with tequila on tap in your suite :wow:...loose bytches running around :wow:...cougars wanting to top your boy LL Cool P off in the jacuzzi :wow: (didn't allow them though..I'm taken :ufdup:)..peso being worthless and me flexing with mad cash and staff hooking me up :wow:..I'll catch up with boxing talk here and there..i had mad notifications on here...I'm about to smoke this cigar and go sleep

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Might have to throw Bradley in the bushes. Damn shame hes a fukking simp :mjcry:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Mexico brehs :wow:...all inclusive with tequila on tap in your suite :wow:...loose bytches running around :wow:...cougars wanting to top your boy LL Cool P off in the jacuzzi :wow: (didn't allow them though..I'm taken :ufdup:)..peso being worthless and me flexing with mad cash and staff hooking me up :wow:..I'll catch up with boxing talk here and there..i had mad notifications on here...I'm about to smoke this cigar and go sleep

:whoo:

What part of Mexico you in breh?:noah:

My time in Cozumel was crazy a few months back and Im probably going back within 6 months, but to another part of the country and see how it is. In Cozumel, I was treated like a King and the authentic Mexican cuisines and women, plus the Tequila factories:ohlawd:

I love seeing my fellow brehs get out and explore this beautiful world:salute:

#VivaMexico

:wow:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Timothy Bradley Jr., trainer Joel Diaz part ways after decade-plus together
3h - Boxing
  • 364 Shares
  • Email
  • Comment
i

Timothy Bradley Jr. ended his working relationship with trainer Joel Diaz. Chris Farina/Top Rank
  • i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
    Close
    • 2013 BWAA Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism
    • ESPN.com boxing writer since 2005
    • Five years at USA Today
    Follow on Twitter
Boxers and trainers split up all the time. Many top fighters run through trainers at a dizzying pace. But welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr. and trainer Joel Diaz were different. Through thick and thin they were like two peas in a pod.

Diaz trained Bradley since his professional debut in 2004 and together they won five world titles in two weight classes -- one of them, of course, being the incredibly controversial split-decision welterweight title win against Manny Pacquiao in 2012.

Most recently, Bradley outpointed Jessie Vargas on June 27 to claim a vacant interim welterweight title. He was elevated to a full titleholder not long after the fight.

Despite the years or success, big fights and big money, Bradley told ESPN.com on Wednesday he felt it was time to move on. He fired Diaz a few days ago.

Diaz was disappointed. He blamed Monica Bradley, Timothy's wife and manager.

"After his last fight, I have not heard from Tim at all. He never answered my calls or anything," Diaz said. "Then last week, he came to the gym. He said he wanted to talk to me. I said, 'What's going on?' What he said was his manager had other plans and I am not part of those plans. He tried to make some excuses, like I was doing something wrong. I said, 'I've known you for a long time, you're like my brother, but right now it's out of your control. Your wife took over your career.'

"He said he would think about it. When they were negotiating the [Brandon] Rios fight, I was calling him to see what was going on. I had to go around him and call his father so his father can contact him because I don't even think he had a phone no more. I sensed something was going on. His wife got so involved. She didn't want me involved in the camp."

Diaz said during their meeting at the gym Bradley thanked him for everything he had done for him and voiced concerns about the way Diaz handled recent camps.

"He told me the last few fights things were not the same," Diaz said. "He was upset because I would leave camp for a day or two sometimes to be with my other fighters at fights. That is my job, but I always put Tim first. I said, 'Tim, that's not you talking. It's people in your ear who you live with. If we're going to work together let me know.' He said he would think about it, and two days later [on Sunday], he called and left a message and said he would move on and he would find another trainer.

"I couldn't even call him. I had to go through Monica. It became an issue of his manager taking over everything. She wanted to have control and power over everything. Look, Timothy is a great guy. He has a big heart, but he has people putting things in his head. I trained this kid his whole career. Monica was really cool at first, but the switch came when she became the manager. She'd come to the gym and try to control the training. I was feeling uncomfortable. It was weird. I never had a problem with Monica, never had an argument with her."

Diaz said he was not upset with Timothy Bradley and was not going say anything bad about him.

"I told him when he came to the gym [last week], 'The problem is not you. I know you from the heart. You are overpowered. You gave somebody too much authority of your life,'" Diaz said. "And I said, 'Good luck, champ.' Even if I'm not with him I will be at his next fight and I will root for him. I have no hard feelings, but I'm going to move on."

There are, of course, two sides to every story, and Bradley (32-1-1, 12 KOs) begs to differ with Diaz's version.

"It's my call. Ain't nobody make me do anything," Bradley said. "I did it because I felt it needed to be done. A real man wouldn't even blame a woman or my wife. My wife didn't speak to Joel. I spoke to Joel. I told him what was going on.

"At the end of the day, I don't trust him. What's the point of being with him if you don't trust him? If there's no trust, then there's no relationship."

Bradley said the breakup has been coming, but he said the final straw was the aftermath of the Vargas fight.

"Go back to the Jessie Vargas fight and go see if Joel Diaz is in the ring with me at the end of the fight," Bradley said. "He left. Right before they announced me as winner, he just left me. He didn't stick around for me. When we had the conversation, I asked him about it. 'Dude, you showed me you don't even care about me.' The answer was he was pissed off about something else somebody did on the team and decided to leave the ring.

"I was like, 'We've been together for like 10 years and you're going to just walk away? Stand by me, bro. If it's so easy for you to leave me like that, then it's easy to leave anytime.' I questioned if he cared for me."

Bradley said when he returned to the dressing room, Diaz was there with his family. He congratulated Bradley on the victory, "but it wasn't like it was before. It's not the same anymore. I felt like I needed a change. It's nothing bad about him. I'm just saying it like it is. I can't say anything bad about him.

"He blamed my wife, but I've been thinking about this since the fight. I'm a loyal guy, but I kept a lot of things in and I accepted a lot of things, but after so long being Mr. Nice Guy, I had to do this because some things were bothering me."

Bradley said although his wife has significant input into his career -- especially since taking over managing him after his contract with Cameron Dunkin ran out and he did not renew last year -- she does what he tells her to do in regard to his career.

"I give the OK on everything," Bradley said. "My wife is there to protect me, but it's my decision. I make the decisions because I have to live the decisions. I don't like that he blamed my wife."

As for who will assume training duties, Bradley said he has not hired anyone yet. However, he said he has talked to two prominent trainers, Teddy Atlas [also ESPN's ringside analyst] and Buddy McGirt. Bradley said he planned to meet with each soon to work for a couple of days with them to see if they mesh. He also might talk to others.

"I'm gonna talk to my wife and see when can we get them out to work with me," Bradley said of them coming to his hometown of Palm Springs, California. "I'll be fighting end of the year and I need to get someone in here."

Bradley has no opponent yet. The Rios talks fizzled, but he has a mandatory due against Sadam Ali, who could be his next foe. He said he is waiting to hear from promoter Top Rank, which is in talks with HBO, about the next fight.

But whomever he faces and whenever he gets into the ring, there will be a new trainer manning his corner.

"Good things come to an end. It's not a bad thing," Bradley said. "I'm looking for change. A lot of guys change trainers. It's nothing bad about Joel. Sometimes you just need a change. We won five world championships together. I would love to remain friends. Don't want to make this ugly. It's just business. I really like the guy a lot."

Timothy Bradley Jr., trainer Joel Diaz part ways after decade-plus together

@mr. smoke weed :jbhmm:

Yeah, seems your boy turned the GPS off is about to just go down that Mosley route:wow:

"Sugar" Tim Bradley?:mjpls:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
:whoo:

What part of Mexico you in breh?:noah:

My time in Cozumel was crazy a few months back and Im probably going back within 6 months, but to another part of the country and see how it is. In Cozumel, I was treated like a King and the authentic Mexican cuisines and women, plus the Tequila factories:ohlawd:

I love seeing my fellow brehs get out and explore this beautiful world:salute:

#VivaMexico

:wow:
Cabo San Lucas breh. Humid as a mufukka though

Mook

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I swear these wives as boxing managers hardly ever works out in the long run. :francis:

I can't remember if anything bad happened when the Pocket Rocket made that move, but he's prolly one of the exceptions.

Shane should of have been a lesson for everybody.

Bradley gonna learn.

Hes a simp beta, pretty sure 3 of those kids arent even his. And shes fat :mjlol: