Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

reigun

Superstar
Daps
Yo, on the real, did anyone actually like "The Batman who Laughs" character? Or any of them alt-Batmen from "Metal?" Cause Synder's about to try and make that edgelord mess happen and I'm just don't see it.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Facts.

Since I started teaching, I always make sure I have some kids comics on hand for my students. Stuff like Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl, TMNT, DC Superhero Girls, etc do way more to get them into reading than most of the books we try to push on to them.
Comics is how I learned to read.
Also they are why I had a much better vocabulary in elementary school than all my classmates.
You can't go wrong using them as the tool to get kids into reading.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Should be Jaime with Ted as his mentor along with Booster. :yeshrug:

People gotta stop trying to bring Ted back to the forefront. Not sayin' that's what you're doing, but just in general. Jaime Reyes is the Blue Beetle now. nikkas have had over a decade to get used to that.
I am cool with them sticking with the current status quo (which is Jaime as BB and Ted as his mentor/tech guy) but usually when people talk about Blue & Gold they mean Ted Kord's Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Hopefully King and DC come clean on just who is going to be the focus of the book soon.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Yo, on the real, did anyone actually like "The Batman who Laughs" character? Or any of them alt-Batmen from "Metal?" Cause Synder's about to try and make that edgelord mess happen and I'm just don't see it.
I liked The Batman Who Laughs because it fit with the Batman mythos and the idea of a Batman who goes nuts and becomes the Joker is full of potential.
All the other iterations of Batman mixed with other characters I was cool on to be honest.
I do hope that if TBWL is going to be used moving forward it is done sparingly.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
I liked The Batman Who Laughs because it fit with the Batman mythos and the idea of a Batman who goes nuts and becomes the Joker is full of potential.
All the other iterations of Batman mixed with other characters I was cool on to be honest.
I do hope that if TBWL is going to be used moving forward it is done sparingly.
I will admit TBWL was the best of the bunch. I think my distaste for him comes down to my not liking The Joker much these days.

The others tho? Like, who the fukk wants a Batman with the Speed Force? TBWL makes sense because, like you said, within the mythos it's understandable that Batman's worst fear is becoming the Joker. But then he's also afraid of becoming Doomsday? And an evil female Aquaman? Dark Nights really shouldn't have been a Batman centered event, tbh. There was so much potential in exploring the other characters' worst nightmares.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will admit TBWL was the best of the bunch. I think my distaste for him comes down to my not liking The Joker much these days.

The others tho? Like, who the fukk wants a Batman with the Speed Force? TBWL makes sense because, like you said, within the mythos it's understandable that Batman's worst fear is becoming the Joker. But then he's also afraid of becoming Doomsday? And an evil female Aquaman? Dark Nights really shouldn't have been a Batman centered event, tbh. There was so much potential in exploring the other characters' worst nightmares.

Red Death was one of the most popular of them, aside from Batman who laughs. Snyder has said we'll see him again at some point.

Don't see what's strange about Batman fearing becoming Doomsday. We know he's feared that at some point Superman would lose control and he'd have to do something crazy to stop him.

I'll agree on female Aquaman. That one and the Wonder Woman one were the two I couldn't get into.
Dark Nights really shouldn't have been a Batman centered event, tbh. There was so much potential in exploring the other characters' worst nightmares.

Dark (K)nights. I think we'll see more of the other characters' fears as we see more threats from the Source Wall. That's supposed to be a big part of Snyder/Tynion's Justice League.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just finished Geoff Johns' Justice League run. Wish I had read this years ago. Aside from the death of Superman, I didn't realize how much of Rebirth was set up directly from this run, particularly Darkseid War, like the three Jokers, Wonder Woman's brother, Imperius Lex, Jessica Cruz getting a Lantern ring, and Doctor Manhattan.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Jim Lee Answers Decades Old Mystery About X-Men #1 Cover Art

One of the most long-standing questions related to X-Men comics spawned from the various covers that were available for the first issue of the series’ 1991 relanch. Cover C and cover E were fairly similar, with both featuring the exact same drawing of Wolverine, Cyclops and Iceman, albeit with different coloring.

That being said, the two covers were also fairly different. Cover C had a more traditional look, complete with a title that pops off the page, the trademark ’90s top-left corner box, as well as a corner box on the bottom-right commemorating the 50th anniversary of Captain America. Cover E went with a more minimalistic approach, with no corner boxes, a simple Marvel Comics logo and a title that blends into the environment.

RELATED: Return of Wolverine Explains Why Logan Wears a Yellow & Blue Costume

The thing that caught people’s attention, however, is the fact that in cover C, Wolverine has only popped the claws on his right hand, whereas cover E shows both sets of claws popped. Naturally, this led people to question why such a small, yet very specific change was made.

Following publishing a piece related to the new Venom film, CBR’s Brian Cronin was asked on Twitter if he had previously discussed the disparity between the two X-Men #1 covers. Cronin explained that he hadn’t and simply decided to directly ask cover artist Jim Lee (who now serves as publisher and CCO for DC) why Wolverine’s claws were altered.

Lee responded, saying that it actually came as a result of the aforementioned Captain America corner box. “I like Cap too much to put three claws through his head,” Lee said.

Jim Lee Answers Decades Old Mystery About X-Men #1 Cover Art

nyGVqgn.jpg

SECkhOe.jpg

:russ::russ:

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
And on the low tho, Ben Reilly Scarlett Spider been kinda poppin too.
:okmarvelmelo:

But ill say this tho, if you got kids and you wanna introduce them to the joys of reading comics, or just reading in general, put them on to Moon Girl.
Im pretty much a jackass real life version of Bugs Bunny but I stress reading to my son.
You gotta read man.
That shyts mental exercise.
And Moon Girl is funny as hell.

Maaaaan, when I was kid that Jim Lee and Chris Claremont was what got me HEAVY into comics. Their Magneto had me using phrases like “fruitless tete”.

:russ: