Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
bmrob-cv1.jpg

1b18620ef84b26c4f84b552a6dfe6ef2.jpg

Grank Quitely of course.
9155%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20suit%20vince_mcmahon%20wwf.gif

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When I think of Batman artists, I don't think of Jim Lee. When I think of Jim Lee, I think of X-Men.

Jim Lee is great at everything, but I think the quintessential Batman artists are Neal Adams, dikk Giordano, Jim Aparo, Marshall Rogers, and dikk Sprang. The Bronze Age guys were killing it for sure. So many great Batman artists: Greg Capullo, David Finch, Tony Daniel, Jim Lee, Norm Breyfogle (who I appreciate more now that I'm older; his style felt too "old school" to me in the mid '90s), and Don Newton (so underrated... just now discovering his Batman work).

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Skottie Young is my favorite artist right now

That goofy lookin cartoon shyt is right up my alley

I even got a few of the little figurines they did off his covers

I aint home but i got this one at the crib from Nighthawk #1 (i think #1)
Nighthawk_1_Young_Variant.jpg

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
How does the original post have just one non-superhero comic (Sandman) listed as an essential?

We're currently living in the golden age of Brian K. Vaughan who is responsible for two of the five Eisner Award nominated Best Continuing Series with Saga and Paper Girls. Saga has won 4 of the last 5 Eisner's for Best Continuing Series. No other comic has won the award more than three times, and Saga isn't even completed yet. It's one of the most decorated comics in history. And Vaughan also won the award back in 2008 for Y: The Last Man!

Why not add some other classic non-superhero books such as
  • 100 Bullets
  • Blankets
  • Bone
  • DMZ
  • Epileptic
  • Essex County
  • Fables
  • From Hell
  • Fun Home
  • Hellblazer
  • Locke & Key
  • Lucifer
  • Maus - this is by all accounts considered a work of art and a literary masterpiece, one of the best comics ever written. It's frequently featured on Best of 20th Century Literature lists. It is a disservice to all comic readers on this board for this to not be on the list
  • Preacher
  • Scalped
  • Transmetropolitan
  • V for Vendetta
  • Valerian and Laureline
  • Y: The Last Man

Last edited:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Because those were the most listed books by people on here.

And I only listed books that weren't ongoing. Sandman was the exception.
Superhero comics are fine, not my preference but I'm not about to trash them by any means, but 300+ pages of discussion and it is almost entirely about superhero comics?
:francis::hhh:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Iron Fist out here fighting Ninja Turtles!
:russ:

im jokin but seriously tho!
xNcWJrz.jpg

:martin:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
When I think of Batman artists, I don't think of Jim Lee. When I think of Jim Lee, I think of X-Men.

Jim Lee is great at everything, but I think the quintessential Batman artists are Neal Adams, dikk Giordano, Jim Aparo, Marshall Rogers, and dikk Sprang. The Bronze Age guys were killing it for sure. So many great Batman artists: Greg Capullo, David Finch, Tony Daniel, Jim Lee, Norm Breyfogle (who I appreciate more now that I'm older; his style felt too "old school" to me in the mid '90s), and Don Newton (so underrated... just now discovering his Batman work).
I think of dikk Giordano when it comes to quintessential Superman and Batman artist.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Officially DONE with Doc Strange. It's gone to complete shyt the second the new writer/artist team replaced Aaron/Bachallo.

This last issue ended with Mordo telling Strange to "Bring. It. On." :mjlol::hhh: