Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Yo, new to comics here. Started X-Men over a month ago with Uncanny X-Men #1 and also read First Class and Season One. Up to like #114. Drained but I'mma keep it going like Daylyt. :deadmanny:

Anyway a question I've been meaning ask is, why is Dr. Doom the biggest bad ass villain in Marvel and not Magneto? Genuinely curious as I see a lot more brehs excited about him entering the MCU while I feel Magneto is more iconic.:jbhmm:

Doom has become God of the Marvel universe a few times and has even punked out Thanos and Galactus. As a threat Magneto isn't even in the same weight class. Breh also outsmarted the Devil and saved all the different realities.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Yo, new to comics here. Started X-Men over a month ago with Uncanny X-Men #1 and also read First Class and Season One. Up to like #114. Drained but I'mma keep it going like Daylyt. :deadmanny:

Anyway a question I've been meaning ask is, why is Dr. Doom the biggest bad ass villain in Marvel and not Magneto? Genuinely curious as I see a lot more brehs excited about him entering the MCU while I feel Magneto is more iconic.:jbhmm:

because Doom operates on a much larger stage. Doom is prolly the closest thing Marvel has in an earth based Thanos in the way that they both operate.

Magneto really just wants what's best for his people.

Though I'll admit, a pissed off Magneto poses much more of a threat to humanity at any given time.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Marvel editorial is a bunch of hoes.

Stop retconning stuff that's been establised for 30 years just so you can tie in comics to your tv and movies. TV and movie watchers aren't gonna read comics if they didn't already.
What they do now?

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Marvel editorial is a bunch of hoes.

Stop retconning stuff that's been establised for 30 years just so you can tie in comics to your tv and movies. TV and movie watchers aren't gonna read comics if they didn't already.

Yea they need to cut that shyt out. It's been damn near 20yrs of marvel flicks. If foks ain't buyin the comics like that, then they just are not going to

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

you have Jonathan Hickman to thank for that before him super-villains such as Kang the Conqueror, Korvac and Count Nefaria would get earth and outer space superheros to band together to fight them. Also the fact that marvel has a hard on when it come to superheros vs superheros type events now days so their other super-villains don't get as much shine as they use because if you have superheros fighting other superheros what need do you have for deploying super-villains both old and new ones.

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
I wish one of these writers or editors would bring back Count Nefaria. THE REAL Count Nefaria who was a PROBLEM. Man I wish I could find that double sized issue of Avengers (Kurt Busiek’s run). This nikka took on the hardbody Avengers line-up with Cap Iron Man, Thor, Vision a few reserves AND the Thunderbolts. Nefaria was SERVING em. PLUS, he made Wonder Man n Goliath his mind controlled slaves. Vision tried to phase into Nefaria n he threw him like a dirty coat. He slapped Thor, laughed n shrugged off a direct hit from Mljonir. I ain’t seen the Avengers get wrecked like that EVER.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I wish one of these writers or editors would bring back Count Nefaria. THE REAL Count Nefaria who was a PROBLEM. Man I wish I could find that double sized issue of Avengers (Kurt Busiek’s run). This nikka took on the hardbody Avengers line-up with Cap Iron Man, Thor, Vision a few reserves AND the Thunderbolts. Nefaria was SERVING em. PLUS, he made Wonder Man n Goliath his mind controlled slaves. Vision tried to phase into Nefaria n he threw him like a dirty coat. He slapped Thor, laughed n shrugged off a direct hit from Mljonir. I ain’t seen the Avengers get wrecked like that EVER.
The John Burne designed costume that Count Nefaria wore when he gained super-powers is one of my all time favorite costumes. It is simple but cool as hell. So much better from when Nefaria used to run around dressed like Dracula.
fcc76d291907bf95880389551f327d3d.jpg

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

you have Jonathan Hickman to thank for that before him super-villains such as Kang the Conqueror, Korvac and Count Nefaria would get earth and outer space superheros to band together to fight them. Also the fact that marvel has a hard on when it come to superheros vs superheros type events now days so their other super-villains don't get as much shine as they use because if you have superheros fighting other superheros what need do you have for deploying super-villains both old and new ones.

^^This.

Doom is used as the biggest bad (or biggest non-cosmic villain) partly because 1.) Marvel editorial likes Magneto as their sympathetic jewish/holocust survivor anti-hero mutant... so they have him tiptoe that line, and 2.) Such writers as Hickman favor Doom above all else, whereas other writers see Doom more as just another cog or irritant against their preferred big bad.

For example, the ultimate comic line that the MCU seems fairly influenced from had this event called Ultimatium in which Jeph Loeb made Magneto the be-all end-all villain, and even tho ppl hated the event and saw it as the jumping of the shark for that comic line, the shyt Magneto did and the scale he did it in just lets you know how devilish he can be if he wanted to be a straight up a$$hole.

Kang can be the next big thing easily, if the next big writer with clout or the next phase of the MCU wills it so.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

Doom has been Marvel's biggest earth-based bad guy long before Hickman, if you look at his ambitions. His strong ambitions started with stealing the Silver Surfer's powers way back when, and they really solidified his position in the 80s with him stealing The Beyonder's powers in Secret Wars, as well as the Emperor Doom story which was the first time they established that Doom could successfully scheme his way to total conquest of earth.

Since then Doom has always been the MU's "could be" world conqueror. Even a few years before Hickman was put on FF you had JMS putting Doom front and center in his Thor run, killing and stealing the power of Asgardians to create his own Destroyer Armor, as well as Mayberry having Doom cripple Wakanda and forcing T'Challa to render all Wakandan-processed Vibranium inert in Doomwar.

Magneto, for all his ambition and power, has always been "held back" by his ties to the mutant cause, hence why Doom became that guy instead since his ambition has always been to rule all.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Doom has been Marvel's biggest earth-based bad guy long before Hickman, if you look at his ambitions. His strong ambitions started with stealing the Silver Surfer's powers way back when, and they really solidified his position in the 80s with him stealing The Beyonder's powers in Secret Wars, as well as the Emperor Doom story which was the first time they established that Doom could successfully scheme his way to total conquest of earth.

Since then Doom has always been the MU's "could be" world conqueror. Even a few years before Hickman was put on FF you had JMS putting Doom front and center in his Thor run, killing and stealing the power of Asgardians to create his own Destroyer Armor, as well as Mayberry having Doom cripple Wakanda and forcing T'Challa to render all Wakandan-processed Vibranium inert in Doomwar.

Magneto, for all his ambition and power, has always been "held back" by his ties to the mutant cause, hence why Doom became that guy instead since his ambition has always been to rule all.
Ironically around that same time as those stories, Bendis actually had Norman Osborne as the biggest earth-based bad guy and the center of attention in the marvel universe (Dark Reign thru Siege) and had Norman get his spot through opportunistic means (Secret Invasion), basically Bendis had Hickman's role before Hickman... i.e. owning most/all the Avenger titles and dictating the big events... it's just that he did a shytty job of the journey and follow-through compared to Hickman. But it still came down to taking their preferred villain and making them the surprise center piece*, altho other writers still used their wiggle room for their preferred villains in smaller mini events.

*he straight up had Norman and his lackeys save a defeated Doom from a spiteful ex-girlfriend in the dark avenger book

Masenko

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Australia

Count Nefaria? In my read through he's ran into the X-Men twice now and has been marked out within like 2 issues each time. I guess things switch up real fast

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Ironically around that same time as those stories, Bendis actually had Norman Osborne as the biggest earth-based bad guy and the center of attention in the marvel universe (Dark Reign thru Siege) and had Norman get his spot through opportunistic means (Secret Invasion), basically Bendis had Hickman's role before Hickman... i.e. owning most/all the Avenger titles and dictating the big events... it's just that he did a shytty job of the journey and follow-through compared to Hickman. But it still came down to taking their preferred villain and making them the surprise center piece*, altho other writers still used their wiggle room for their preferred villains in smaller mini events.

*he straight up had Norman and his lackeys save a defeated Doom from a spiteful ex-girlfriend in the dark avenger book
The difference is that Doom has always been positioned as a universal threat since the 80s, with many classic encounters facing different heroes as well as being positioned as one of the seven smartest men alive. The way Hickman put him at the center made perfect sense considering his postion on Marvel's earth.

Osborn on the other hand was a Spidey villain who so happened to fit the leader role for Ellis' Thunderbolts perfectly, and Bendis took that and blew it up to nonsensical proportions like he did with so much stuff at the time (The Hood, anyone?).

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The difference is that Doom has always been positioned as a universal threat since the 80s, with many classic encounters facing different heroes as well as being positioned as one of the seven smartest men alive. The way Hickman put him at the center made perfect sense considering his postion on Marvel's earth.

Osborn on the other hand was a Spidey villain who so happened to fit the leader role for Ellis' Thunderbolts perfectly, and Bendis took that and blew it up to nonsensical proportions like he did with so much stuff at the time (The Hood, anyone?).
Positioned by writers, correct? Ain't that the point?

If a buncha Osborn-stans wanted to follow Bendis lead after his late '00s run and kept Osborne positioned as the center of Marvel earth, then in 2028 some young 10yr TheGodlingJr. will be talking about Osborne the same way you were talking about Doom in 2008, both citing a 20 yr run of writer decisions for your perceived normalcy lol.

i.e. That normalcy will always evolve, depending on whose behind the scenes like a writer, editorial, or now Disney and MCU. Classic example spanning 56 years is Gwen or MJ as the center of Peter's world. Depending on your DOB, one will resonate strongly and the other may feel blasphemous