Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - Manchester United Save Football - FA Cup Winners 2023/24

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

tenor.gif

Players are going to be on strike cause of this..one of these days :mjlol:

But will they go on strike to combat racism :mjpls1:

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
They out here refereeing games like the NFL now. Soon they're going to give the coaches flags to challenge plays.

If they start introducing time outs, I’ll be officially done with this sport.

You gonna see the European coaches throwing their scarves on the pitch :mjlol:

But yea this sport getting a little ridiculous. Soon they'll start allowing unlimited subs. You'll start seeing the game being played with specific formations and temporary packages for a certain portion of the game.

Sub in your high press players for your possessive ones.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
I might be wrong about this, but I think all VAR does is expose holes in the original rulebook. FIFA needs to change the letter of the law on handball, and probably on offsides and penalties as well.

I don't want to see goals called back because some dude had half his wrist ahead of the last defender as he turned to chase a pass down.
the rules governing body (IFAB) just put that handball rule into place this spring. VAR just allows them to review to see if it happened.

IFAB announces major rule changes in football

"A goal scored directly from the hand/arm (even if accidental) and a player scoring or creating a goal-scoring opportunity after having gained possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm (even if accidental) will no longer be allowed," IFAB said in a statement.

IFAB said the decision would "provide a more precise and detailed definition for what constitutes handball, in particular with regard to the occasions when a non-deliberate/accidental handball will be penalised."

Daps
the rules governing body (IFAB) just put that handball rule into place this spring. VAR just allows them to review to see if it happened.

IFAB announces major rule changes in football

Good post. There was a lot of talk about this change on The Guardian's football pod in the lead-up to this season and how it would change the way games are called.

I know that there was confusion over what constitutes a handball in the past and that it seemed too much up to ref discretion, but I think this is a bad rule to correct that confusion.

I don't hate VAR, but some of the rules that VAR has been able to properly assess seem harsh. If the player has his arm at his side and doesn't know anything about the ball as it comes in and hits him on the arm, taking a goal away because of that just doesn't seem fair.

I'm not smart enough to craft a better rule, I admit. :manny:

Just think there must be a better way to assess handball.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
The Spurs player pulled Laportes hand. Is that really handball?

And let's just forget about Lamela wrestling Rodri to the ground inside his own penalty box.

VAR is real funny. fukk it.