The Official Joe Budden Podcast Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
The tour was for the podcast, so it's understandable that Spotify gets that. But giving them a part of all of your ventures? Giving them rights to the podcast for years down the line? Nah, bro. That's the oppression piece he's talking about.

It's hard to negotiate with a company that hasn't done business in good faith, and presents a BS contract
Right. They’re trying to sign him to them MTV Real World deals and shyt like they MADE Joe Budden and his podcast.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
If you can’t make $20 million turn into other ventures long term, I don’t know what to tel you. They literally have 5 free days a week to do other things.

I feel all of that could be negotiable though. My issue is that if the dollars were of a desirable amount, why not counter instead of completely burning the bridge down?
You’re assuming Joe doesn’t have any other leverage. Hypothetically, if i already know i have a deal with your competitor, burning this bridge is actually beneficial.

Daps
If you can’t make $20 million turn into other ventures long term, I don’t know what to tel you. They literally have 5 free days a week to do other things.

I feel all of that could be negotiable though. My issue is that if the dollars were of a desirable amount, why not counter instead of completely burning the bridge down?

He is more dangerous on the open market . He dosen't have problem with ads ...which is why he has built relationships outside of spotify . No way im taking 20 million if i help make you 9 figures ...NO WAY. Like he said its not about money it about a LONG play .

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You’re assuming Joe doesn’t have any other leverage. Hypothetically, if i already know i have a deal with your competitor, burning this bridge is actually beneficial.
True. I’m just interested to see if there are suitors ready to offer what he’s looking for. Only place I can see with a huge bag to throw out there is Caffeine, but their platform isn’t for podcasting. Apple might be waiting in the wings though.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Who was doing Hip hop podcasting before joe?
Juan Epstein was the first hip hop podcast. By a good mile too. Classic example of why it’s never beneficial to be first cause they had no idea what they had until it was too late. Combat took that and ran the ball to the 50 yard line by being bigger, doing live shows and creating his own network. Then he passed away. Joe’s taken what combat did and is trying to score the touchdowns. In their defense, Joe is the first big hip hop culture podcast. (Not interview and guest driven. Just friends talking shyt about current events)

Jim Cornette

The Cult of Meat with Extra Cheese...
Daps
Reppin
Australia
:gucci: why do you keep ignoring the 360 portion of the contract? Joe has been talking about ownership for a while now
It’s not just $20 million. Spotify wants to own his catalog, put ads on all his old episodes, wants to have editing power over his content, a cut of the live shows and a cut out of anything else they do outside of the podcast. (According to him to be fair). If you can find a deal for 10 million with complete autonomy and ownership, I’d take the 10. I think people keep underselling them with the “or nothing” part of the argument. They built the podcast without Spotify, all Spotify did was give them a platform not the infrastructure.
It's a podcast tho... a current events podcast.

Who gives a fukk about a catalog lol they acting like they're episodes like albums. They nowhere near as valuable.. they got no replay value past a week or 2.

Joe coming off like a straight up bytch now huffin n puffin all podcast.. tryna make it a black thing too now lmaoo

Hes gonna lose listeners if his last handful of episodes are gonna be "hey my loves..." followed by airing out his business frustrations :camby:

I gotta put that philly the boss nikka on ignore too

Daps
That’s the biggest part of this that I’m not getting. Just allowing ads alone would probably up the offer a lot. This time they used Greys Anatomy being number one for so long while ignoring that they having high ratings allows the network to then go to ad agencies and get the bag based off them being number one. By not allowing ads Joe is taking away that ability which then means them being number one doesn’t do much for Spotify’s bottom line.

NO if im joe I want the ads that I want on my shyt . As calm as hey were on the podcast today they know something that everybody is not privy to . As parks said " people act like we dont have a plan' :beli:

Daps
Juan Epstein was the first hip hop podcast. By a good mile too. Classic example of why it’s never beneficial to be first cause they had no idea what they had until it was too late. Combat took that and ran the ball to the 50 yard line by being bigger, doing live shows and creating his own network. Then he passed away. Joe’s taken what combat did and is trying to score the touchdowns. In their defense, Joe is the first big hip hop culture podcast. (Not interview and guest driven. Just friends talking shyt about current events)

If im not mistaken combat passed the baton to joe. I beleive it was discussion he had with combat before he died . That episode is in the back catalog.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
True. I’m just interested to see if there are suitors ready to offer what he’s looking for. Only place I can see with a huge bag to throw out there is Caffeine, but their platform isn’t for podcasting. Apple might be waiting in the wings though.
It’s gotta be Tidal. All that Hov was right...

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Only thing I didn't like is that Joe talks about not going against each other and then goes to kill Charlemagne. He could have left that part out. If he needs to address him, do so in private. No need to do that in public.