The Official MTV Video Music Awards Thread. *Performances in OP*

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Janet never sings live unless it's a ballad but you will still have some folks think her whisper voice is better than Beyonce.....It's very funny and sad how folks try so hard to dislike Beyonce and yet they know most of her songs. :sas2:

:dwillhuh: Janet sings live more than just her ballads. The Velvet Rope tour was live except the titled track intro and the verses of 'You'.

All For You tour was about 50% live. And even when she does lip sync, she sings it over a pre-recorded track, which Beyonce has done MANY times.

Lets not pretend Michael didn't lip synced the last 20 years of his career, lol.

I won't take nothing from bey, cuz I think she could stand her own back in the day...but her being the penultimate female right now definitely is due to a weaker selection of pop stars. Back in the 80's/90's you had Janet, Madonna, Mariah, Whitney all going head to head, not to mention folks like Toni Braxton, Sade, and Celine dion all being forces

And that's not even it either. Monica, Brandy, Aaliyah, Mya.

Beyonce has absolutely no competition. Rihanna? :mjlol: Ciara, despite her lack of voice, is a good performer but she can't seem to make a solid comeback.

Marciano

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Folks really underrating Beyonce's dancing? The dancing she does in heels is damn near incredible. I'm not too hip to Janet's concerts & her dancing, but would she be dancing that much in heels?

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Janet Dropped 4 back to back Classics and has more Hits and most definitely influenced Beyonce. As for the voice debate. Janet's voice is very unique and she's has proven vocally she do many different styles and tones. Also who said Janet wasn't deep? I guess people were too young to listen to "Rhythm Nation" or "The Velvet Rope". Also even her album "Janet" had some deeps songs. Beyonce does have a better voice but Janet is the better ovearll artist. Sorry

Janet > Beyonce

Sorry vocally they did ok but listening to Janet you can approach her vocal style more:

• Dap
Reactions: flo

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Folks really underrating Beyonce's dancing? The dancing she does in heels is damn near incredible. I'm not too hip to Janet's concerts & her dancing, but would she be dancing that much in heels?

There is nothing Beyonce doing Dance Wise that Janet hasn't already been done. This was Michael Jackson sister's folks. Dancing in their bloodstream.

Marciano

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There is nothing Beyonce doing Dance Wise that Janet hasn't already been done. This was Michael Jackson sister's folks. Dancing in their bloodstream.

I'm not saying one is better than the other in dancing (although Janet is the better dancer), I'm just saying that what Beyonce does in heels should still be considered impressive

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Around the Control era

Beyonce mostly gyrates and stomps in heels. While no easy task, its not particularly that impressive.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
I guess that's why LaToya, Rebbie, Jermaine and Marlon all had stellar solo careers as well :comeon:Janet had a superstar potential within her that her siblings didn't. Being MJ's sister didn't help her as much as you think. Her first two albums before Control flopped. The sole fact that people will credit Michael for her success, no matter what she did (she made her own separate sound, she co-choreographed her own routines, wrote and produced her own music) or what she accomplished (she's set records that even Michael doesn't have, one of the most award female artists) is proof of that right there. Janet has her own iconic images, albums and songs.

Janet's voice is the female version of Michael's. Someone lowered the pitch of her vocals and it sounded EXACTLY like Michael. People were fooled and thought Michael actually recorded this.

And Janet can definitely do more than light and soft. Check 'He Doesn't Know I'm Alive' off the Control album.

:camby:
It has been well known for decades that Janet was not a strong singer. You can pick out 2 or songs from the hundreds she released all you want. Janet was never anywhere near mike jack as a singer.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Miley Cyrus' MTV VMAs Date Jesse Helt Has a Warrant Out for His Arrest After Violating Probation
by LILY HARRISONToday 9:32 AM PDT

rs_600x600-140824192853-600-miley-cyrus-mtv-vma-instagram.ls.82414_copy.jpg
Instagram/Twitter
Miley Cyrus introduced the world to Jesse Helt when he accepted her MTV VMA for Video of the Year on her behalf over the weekend, but now more information about the homeless youth is being revealed.

E! News has learned that there is a warrant out for the arrest of the Salem, Ore., native for violation of probation, stemming from previous charges including criminal trespassing and criminal mischief.

He was also charged with burglary after a 2010 incident where he attempted to break into an apartment.

According to recent court documents, Helt violated his probation on numerous occasions after failing to take a drug test, failing to report to his probation officer, breaching his curfew, not finishing his community service hours and more.

rs_634x845-140824192856-634.miley-cyrus-mtv-vma-instagram.ls.82414.jpg
Instagram/Twitter
On Sunday, Helt was on the arm of Cyrus all throughout the MTV Video Music Awards and gave an emotional speech about homeless teens in America.

"My name is Jesse, and I'm accepting this award on behalf of 1.6 million runaways and homeless youth who are starving lost and scared right now," he told the crowd nervously, while Cyrus looked on with tears in her eyes.

"I know this because I am one of these people. I have survived in shelters all over this city…Though I may have been invisible to you on the streets I have a lot of the same dreams that brought many of you here tonight."

At the end of the night, Cyrus encouraged her fans to go to her Facebook page to donate and raise awareness for My Friend's Place, a homeless shelter for youths in Hollywood.