The Official Power User Tips, Tricks & Productivity Thread

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Notion
Download
I've spent the last few weeks restructuring my life in Notion. It is an aesthetically-pleasing note-taking app on the surface, but its power is that the backend is relational database functionality. Here's a brief example:

It gets very powerful with views of databases based on certain criteria (ie show every task that has a due date on or before today or show me every high priority task, or show me every open task that I have, etc.) It really is SQL with a friendlier interface.

I recommend looking into longer, more advanced videos to get a feel if you are mildly interested.

Last edited:

Pete Wrigley

Twerk, Petunia, Twerk!
Supporter
Daps
Notion
Download
I've spent the last few weeks restructuring my life in Notion. It is an aesthetically-pleasing note-taking app on the surface, but its power is that the backend is relational database functionality. Here's a brief example:

It gets very powerful with views of databases based on certain criteria (ie show every task that has a due date on or before today or show me every high priority task, or show me every open task that I have, etc. It really is SQL with a much friendly interface.

I recommend looking into longer, more advanced videos to get a feel if you are mildly interested.

I use Notion for work. I'd highly recommend it

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Notion
Download

It gets very powerful with views of databases based on certain criteria (ie show every task that has a due date on or before today or show me every high priority task, or show me every open task that I have, etc.) It really is SQL with a friendlier interface.

Notion is cool but I prefer Obsidian.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Notion is cool but I prefer Obsidian.
Randomly downloaded Obsidian last wknd funnily enough. I like that Obsidian has a Debian app so that I can use a legit desktop app on my Chromebook instead of the web-based app. Also, they definitely seem power-user friendly via all the shortcut keys and the plethora of preference settings.

My plan is to use Notion for productivity tracking and use Obsidian for brainstorming/note-taking. (I actually already have a project in Notion about learning Obsidian lol) Based on the small exposure I've had so far via videos/reddit posts, I think Obsidian shines when it comes to templates and connecting/referencing/linking documents together. Up until now, the only way that I categorize/group Google Docs is via folders on Google Drive which is surprisingly inefficient in 2023.

Let me know if you know any good reference videos, or suggestions because it seemed like a lil learning curve when I played around with it. I plan on doing a deep dive in a week or two but still don't know WTF is a vault for example lol.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Randomly downloaded Obsidian last wknd funnily enough. I like that Obsidian has a Debian app so that I can use a legit desktop app on my Chromebook instead of the web-based app. Also, they definitely seem power-user friendly via all the shortcut keys and the plethora of preference settings.

My plan is to use Notion for productivity tracking and use Obsidian for brainstorming/note-taking. (I actually already have a project in Notion about learning Obsidian lol) Based on the small exposure I've had so far via videos/reddit posts, I think Obsidian shines when it comes to templates and connecting/referencing/linking documents together. Up until now, the only way that I categorize/group Google Docs is via folders on Google Drive which is surprisingly inefficient in 2023.

Let me know if you know any good reference videos, or suggestions because it seemed like a lil learning curve when I played around with it. I plan on doing a deep dive in a week or two but still don't know WTF is a vault for example lol.

I've used this as a spring board Obsidian Resources

I find that these apps have so much going on and are used so differently depending on the person - that I don't even try to fully understand them, just use them and look up features or options when I need something or wonder if the feature exists.

The whole concept of a 2nd brain was an obsession of mines in 2021, so I used Notion, Obsidian, Dendron (VSCode plugin-based) in different environments and ways to see what I really liked and didn't.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Appreciate it, I'll add it as a resource for when I jump head first 💪🏾

Yeah I've come across quite a few Notion-specific 'Second Brain' videos while I scouring YT for ways tips/tricks. I use flashcard software (Anki) on my phone/desktop daily to automatically improve my forgetting curve similar to Second Brain's review I think.

I have over 4,000 flashcards that are spaced out so that I review ~25 cards per day, but I don't look for patterns/connections a la Second Brain which is a drawback. I think I'll try to build in some type of 'reflection' aspect to my flashcards moving forward

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm officially hooked on Obsidian. Initially, it felt kinda OD using a text editor, but I can never go back to Google Docs now. I think creating a frictionless typing experience really allows you to enter a state of flow easier and access connections to other topics that would've previously been overlooked. Not to mention every keyboard shortcuts is customizable, javascript-enabled scripts, templates, etc

This is the video that piqued my interest the most:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Ant Renamer​

Ant Renamer is a free program for Microsoft Windows users, also the source code is available. The developer name of this program is Antoine Potten, a Belgian programmer.

The name of the software "Ant Renamer" is a shortcut of his surname and the word "Renamer". The purpose of this utility is to help users to rename multiple files and folders. The program just changes file names and does not affect the contents of files during this operation. Here is a list with the most important features of this utility. Support for Unicode file names (Windows NT versions - 2000, XP, Vista and 7), character string insertion, numbering, changing extension, replace of character strings with others, case change, random name creation, regular expressions and many others. Also, the program is available in 16 languages. The program is a free batch renamer for Windows® and it should work on all almost versions of this operating system. If you need to use the program for Windows 95® - use an older version, up to 2.0.4, newer versions won't work.

bezAhVu.png

u2riGZv.png

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Open RSS is a nonprofit organization that provides free RSS feeds for websites and applications that don't already provide them, so RSS feeds can continue to be a reliable way for internet users to stay up-to-date with content anywhere on the internet.

Mission​

1. Use RSS feeds to ensure free website content remains free and accessible to the public without sacrificing their privacy
  2. Encourage usage, implementation, and adoption of RSS feeds as a more private and personalized alternative to accessing websites and applications directly
  3. Educate users on the importance of using RSS feeds as a more healthier-way to consume web content, free from manipulation, recommendation algorithms, moderation, self-prioritized ranking, and any other undesired curation

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was today year's old when I realized ChatGPT is the perfect app for CLI. Turns out a lot of people already created custom ChatGPT CLI tools, so I started a pay-as-you-go plan and I'm digging through the options b4 I plug in my OpenAI API key.

I feel like for most of my queries, the free Bing version is sufficient, but unless I download Microsoft Edge, the Bing Chat website redirects me to a download page.

Based on this writeup, I can trick the website into thinking I'm using a Edge, but that shortcut only appears to apply to Windows & I'm using ChromeOS:
oCvCy6B.png

@bnew lemme know if you think redirector could do the trick 🤔. I don't see any references to the browser type in the URL:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=<insert question here>&iscopilotedu=1&form=MA13G9
but figured it's worth a shot. On a related note, I just permanently redirected all of my YouTube usage through Piped :banderas:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I was today year's old when I realized ChatGPT is the perfect app for CLI. Turns out a lot of people already created custom ChatGPT CLI tools, so I started a pay-as-you-go plan and I'm digging through the options b4 I plug in my OpenAI API key.

I feel like for most of my queries, the free Bing version is sufficient, but unless I download Microsoft Edge, the Bing Chat website redirects me to a download page.

Based on this writeup, I can trick the website into thinking I'm using a Edge, but that shortcut only appears to apply to Windows & I'm using ChromeOS:
oCvCy6B.png

@bnew lemme know if you think redirector could do the trick 🤔. I don't see any references to the browser type in the URL:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=<insert question here>&iscopilotedu=1&form=MA13G9
but figured it's worth a shot. On a related note, I just permanently redirected all of my YouTube usage through Piped :banderas:

bruh scripts!!!.. have it write as many scripts as you can think of. ii'm still working on my prompts but I got two coli userscripts out of it. i got some other stuff I want to try too like a script to automatically use certain apps to download links from rss feeds.

edit:

try a useragent switcher browser extension

example url: https://www.bing.com/search?q=test

include pattern : https?://www.bing.com/search\?q=([^&]+)

redirect to: https?://www.bing.com/search\?q=$1&iscopilotedu=1&form=MA13G9

pattern type: regular expression

gZb0J2R.png

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The user agent extension did the trick bnew. Repped ya!

Really starting to grasp how powerful ChatGPT is. I am starting to delve into the idea of 'roles' to personalize the responses I get. The more specific/nuanced you define the 'role', the better ChatGPT will respond to you. So like, I'm interested in trading for a living and, to paraphrase, I created prompts for ChatGPT to talk to me as if it were a professional coach. Not only am I refining the prompt based on the responses I get, but I'm also re-engineered my prompt based on keywords/ideas in professional job postings seeking coaches.... If I want to be one of the pros, I might as well get a coach fit for the pros ;).

In the near term, I also plan on also feeding it notes on books I've read re:coaching & resilience to also try to structure its responses in a way that scientific research in said books. I'm thinking I can get ChatGPT to summarize my notes at the end of every week, run it through ElevenLabs and try to create an RSS feed of an automated voice giving me great advice at the end of every week. Yeah fellas, I was today year's old when I realized the future is fukking here.

:wow:

On another note, in true power user fashion, I found out that there's newsletter-to-rss websites thanks to a response from ChatGPT

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nitter is great. I would recommend LibRedirect (a fork of Privacy Redirect) as an addon to automatically redirect various sites to their alternative frontends

atm I'm just using it for Twitter -> Nitter (unixfox/namazso instances), TikTok :scusthov: -> ProxiTok, Medium -> Scribe

but it covers several other sites.
My dumbass has been manually adding all of these over the last few days via redirector smh

Just added the extension and will delete the redundancies. The way LibRedirect pings all the instances in the setting to show the best connection tho :banderas:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

ImageGlass - A lightweight, versatile image viewer​

ImageGlass is a lightweight software designed for seamless viewing of images in a clean and intuitive interface. With support for over 80 common image formats including WEBP, GIF, SVG, PNG, JXL, HEIC,... ImageGlass also offers advanced features that cater to the needs of both regular users and designers, making it the excellent tool to enhance workflow efficiency.

jkqLRrM.jpeg

I like that I can drag and drop a folder into the program and it'll quickly load up the images in that folder including all subfolders. I can drag and drop select images from search results including with different paths and it loads up like a slideshow. it can run multiple instances too.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

dnGrep allows you to search across files with easy-to-read results. Search through text files, Word and Excel documents, PDFs, and archives using text, regular expression, XPath, and phonetic queries. dnGrep includes search-and-replace, whole-file preview, right-click search in File Explorer, and much more.

Features:

• Search across text files, Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents, and PDFs
  • Search for files in archives - zip, 7z, rar, jar, and many more
  • Search using text, regular expressions (regex), XPath, and phonetics
  • Many search filter options
  • Search-and-replace, including undo
  • Replace in text files - does not replace in binary file formats such as Word, Excel, or PDF.
  • Whole-file preview
  • Right-click to search in File Explorer
  • Move/copy/delete result files
  • Open line results in a custom editor, like Notepad++
  • Bookmark search patterns for later use
  • Try out complex searches in the Test window
  • Save search results
  • Light and Dark themes
  • Translations in several languages
  • Much more!
Runs on Windows 7, 8, 10, 11 or Windows Server

Requires .NET 4.6.2 or higher.