The Official Washington Wizards News & Notes Thread

lochead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
I'm from where Petey come from
I think we understand that you have to do things like this to get what you want in the city you're in.

But them being at Gallery Place is the most ideal place as far as for fans from around the region.

We aint never gonna get them 05-15 days of Gallery again :sadcam:
That was a WILD time :wow:

From the LGBTQ47475hfh48373rhf gangs :dame: to the Black Hebrew “cuss a yt mf’er or Black women pushing a stroller” Israelites :mjlol:. Gallery Place really was 1980’s Times Sq:wow:

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
That was a WILD time :wow:

From the LGBTQ47475hfh48373rhf gangs :dame: to the Black Hebrew “cuss a yt mf’er or Black women pushing a stroller” Israelites :mjlol:. Gallery Place really was 1980’s Times Sq:wow:

The Check-it's, Fashionable Muslims, Black Israelites,Skaters and bougie negros all co-existing on a friday night.

"Who up Gallery Tho?" :sadcam:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is all negotiation tactics by Leonsis to get the city of DC to pay for renovations at Capital One Arena.

Also, Chinatown/Gallery Place has gotten run down since the pandemic. Lot more crime, a lot of businesses have left, so the environment has changed a bit. But I don't think that will have Monumental move the Wizards/Caps out of the city.
Stayed at a hotel there on a work trip, definitely looked weathered in some parts. Still a great location for a basketball arena though.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Never met anyone from Virginia who liked going to Nova :mjlol: I got homies actively upset about this right now.

nobody wants nova to have nice things
I drive between NC and MD and NOVA adds an extra hour to my trip. I remember in the early 2000s the drive being 4 hrs and 15 minutes but now it's 5 hrs and 30 minutes with massive slow downs in VA

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
fukk va

send em to seattle

sonic guy died before he saw his team come back ..he was a cool ass dude too

SonicsGuy_Mural_0021.jpeg

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
From the Politics Hour with Kojo Nnamdi yesterday. Chairman of the DC Council Phil Mendelson talks about the need for DC to prioritize Nationals Park (cause the city owns the stadium) and Capital One Arena.

Transcript at the link with the audio.

NNAMDI
A somewhat similar situation is playing out with Capital One Arena. You met with owner Ted Leonsis last month about potential improvements to that nearly three decade old arena. Amongst talk that a new venue could be built in Arlington for the Wizards and Capitals, what did you discuss with Mr. Leonsis and should D.C. sports fans worry that we're soon going to be rooting for the Arlington Capitals?

MENDELSON
Well, I'm glad you brought this up.

NNAMDI
Morgan doesn't like that.

MENDELSON
There's a lot of distractions here about the new football stadium. And we shouldn't forget that we have existing teams and we want those existing teams to stay in the District. And both--I shouldn't say both because actually Monumental Sports is more than one team. Both ownership groups have significant costs. The District has contributed to the arena when it was constructed in the 1990s, again, in 2007 when I believe we provided about $50 million through borrowing. Again, we don't have money in our capital budget. But I do think that we need to continue to support the Capitals and the Wizards and the Mystics. And I don't know what that looks like, which is why I've met with Ted Leonsis. And I think that it's important that the District have conversations with them and that the District not forget about them in its zest and zeal to attract a football team.

MENDELSON
With the Nationals we own the stadium. So we have obligations there and that stadium is now 15 years old and there are pieces of it from deferred maintenance that are falling apart like the scoreboard. And so substantial repairs need to be made. And that's on us because we're the landlord. And that's also we have to figure out that financing and not screw that team in our zest and our zeal for a new team.

BASKIN
Well, it does seem impossible that D.C. would forget Ted Leonsis. But has he made any specific demands or asks, polite asks, in ways that he thinks D.C. could better support Capital One Arena, for example?

MENDELSON
My conversations have been--I would characterize general. But yes he has asked if the District will once again provide some financial assistance for major costs, renovations, upgrades to that facility. The facility is I believe one of the oldest in the hockey league. And I find it hard to believe, but 25 years later it's got a lot of upgrades that need to be made.

BASKIN
And so how should we be thinking as a city about prioritizing that ask?

MENDELSON
Well, in my view we should be prioritizing equally Monumental Sports and the National Stadium. And then after that--although as my position with regard to a football team is if they want to build a stadium on their nickel I'm okay with that. That could be a high priority because it's not costing us.

NNAMDI
Which is what Abe Pollin did with the arena in which basketball and hockey is now played. On to other issues. Here is John in Northwest Washington. John, you're on the air. Go ahead, please.

@sicksoulja
@THE MACHINE
@mastermind
@lochead
@thewiz
@L&HH
@Benjamin Sisko
@ThatsRite2
@Eddie Jordan
@Mr swag
@Spree At Last
@mrken12
@Rob's al Ghul
@KBadd
@seanjohn21276
@L. Deezy
@ZEupTWN
@Guv
@KillbertArenas
@G-Zeus
@Icepick Isaacs
@Blackrogue
@VladTheImpaler
@Jack!
@PracticeMeansNothin
@Smashius Clay
@Jemmy
@Dad
@KBadd

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
From the Politics Hour with Kojo Nnamdi yesterday. Chairman of the DC Council Phil Mendelson talks about the need for DC to prioritize Nationals Park (cause the city owns the stadium) and Capital One Arena.

Transcript at the link with the audio.

@sicksoulja
@THE MACHINE
@mastermind
@lochead
@thewiz
@L&HH
@Benjamin Sisko
@ThatsRite2
@Eddie Jordan
@Mr swag
@Spree At Last
@mrken12
@Rob's al Ghul
@KBadd
@seanjohn21276
@L. Deezy
@ZEupTWN
@Guv
@KillbertArenas
@G-Zeus
@Icepick Isaacs
@Blackrogue
@VladTheImpaler
@Jack!
@PracticeMeansNothin
@Smashius Clay
@Jemmy
@Dad
@KBadd
Kojo Nnamdi has been on the radio & local tv since I was a kid, and I'm :flabbynsick: now. I don't know if he's in the Radio Hall of Fame, but he definitely belongs there.