The Offiial "Black Mass" Thread (Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger)

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Thinking a little more about this today, and I'm even less impressed by the film.

Did it ever show Bulger doing illegal shyt, other than murder people? There was a lot of talk about how he became a kingpin, etc....But it was lip service.
Guess they had top make room for a few more scenes of gunplay

Bleh, such a missed opportunity.

They were talking about this on the film stage podcast.

It's ok sicario and matt damon gonna save us soon :blessed:

Daps
Movie was wack. Has no problems with the acting; I always like Depp, the supporting cast was cool, but the story was just ass.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn I really wanted to see this movie but after reading shyt here I'm better off just watching the doc:yeshrug:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
shyt was garbage. For all its great acting performances there's nothing else to save this poor incoherent narrative. There's no structure to the story, there's no development of any characters, scenes that supposedly affected Bulger greatly (the death of his son for instance) are brushed over and reduced to one of the voice-over guys saying 'He changed a lot after that' like that means shyt. Same goes for character motivations, a throwaway line about how Connolly looked up to Bulger because he saved him from getting his ass kicked back in the day is all we get as a reasoning for him protecting a mass murdering psychopath. Bulger's wife doesn't even get the decency of an expository line of dialogue as she is just completely removed from the movie without explanation. It's a total fukking mess and I'm actually kinda pissed I wasted my time to catch this in an early premiere.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Finally saw this movie and it was ok. :ld:

I have a problem with the casting, I like Johnny Depp, but how old was Bulger he was portraying suppose to be in the movie?

Benedict Cumberbatch?? :dahell:

That Australian nikka from Warrior? :dahell:

The couldn't find American actors for this shyt?:comeon:

This motherfukker right here. Is he even acting? Literally the same face in every scene.

Honestly the ending pissed me off. Motherfukkers walking the streets because they snitched on ol'boy, meanwhile brehs doing 20 years for ounces of marijuana. (:pacspit:)

FBI (:pacspit:) and that FBI agent dude (:pacspit:)

They should have got Bill Burr to play ol'boy, :sas1: paid him half of Johnny Depp's salary, saved lots of money on makeup, dialect coaches etc. :sas2:

joe cool

Pro
Daps
There was just no life to this movie. Everyone was just collecting a paycheck through this movie except Depp, Edgerton, and the cokehead dude was pretty good. It felt like they had no plan with this movie and they had a good story to work with but didn't know how to tell it in an interesting way.