The Plot to Disrupt the NCAA with a Pay-for-Play HBCU Basketball League. [POLL ADDED]

Do you think it could really work?

• Yes

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

BlackDynamite310

All Star
Daps
The Plot to Disrupt the NCAA with a Pay-for-Play HBCU Basketball League

What if I told you there was a way to pay men's college basketball players a fairer portion of the hundreds of millions of dollars they generate, boost the flagging fortunes of the nation's historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs), and stick it to the sanctimonious, self-serving quasi-monopolists at the NCAA?

If all of that sounds too good to be true, then you haven't yet heard from Andy Schwarz. A San Francisco–based antitrust economist, longtime critic of college sports amateurism, and—full disclosure—occasional contributor to VICE Sports, Schwarz has a plan to make it happen. It's a business plan, in fact, and while it's still in its early stages, it works, in a nutshell, like this:

Step 1: Form an HBCU-exclusive basketball league.

Step 2: Tell the NCAA to pound sand, and pay the nation's very best high school and college basketball players to be part of it.

Step 3: Profit. Oh, and also change the face of big-time campus athletics forever.

"One of the ways to bust up a monopoly is through disruption," Schwarz says. "That's the idea here."

The way Schwarz and his HBCU league co-founders—Ohio–based sports and entertainment attorney Richard Volante and Washington, D.C.–based author and historian Bijan Bayne—see it, the NCAA is a bit like a traditional taxi company, while their concept is akin to Uber or Lyft. The league would consist of at least 16 members drawn from the four current NCAA Division I and II HBCU conferences, institutions such as Howard University and Florida A&M; its athletes would be full-time students.

They also would be paid to play basketball, between $50,000 and $100,000 a year. Moreover, they would be allowed to endorse products, sell autographs, sign with agents, accept gifts from boosters, declare for the NBA draft, and even be drafted by NBA teams without losing their eligibility.

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
Man I wish the leaders of those HBCU's had the gaul to do that shyt but I highly doubt anyone's going to step out and do that shyt because of the fear of whitelash, would be dope and the plan is genius. Black top athletes wouldn't have to play for these racist ass cac schools and these cacs would come to the HBCU games and give up that paper just for a chance to see top level athletes.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I dont support college athletes getting paid.

I do think pro-leagues should allow high School recruitment though

Its one of the reasons the USA sucks at soccer internationally.

...this should also be a bad look for football tho :lupe:

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O

Pirius Black

Superstar
Daps
fukk the NCAA. It's ridiculous that NCAA athletes are the only ones to NOT get paid when they are the ones generating revenue. If they are truly amateurs, make the coached volunteers drawn from faculty and recruit from the student body. But that don't draw game day revenue like a semi professional team now does it?

TL15

Veteran
Daps
I dont support college athletes getting paid.

I do think pro-leagues should allow high School recruitment though

Its one of the reasons the USA sucks at soccer internationally.

...this should also be a bad look for football tho :lupe:

Why don't you support college athletes getting paid? Just curious...I know people attack you here and I'm not trying to do that. I'm a former college athlete and was curious if you were, or if your what your background is on this stance.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I'm confused. When the HBCU's leave the NCAA will they form similar leagues for the other sports or drop them in favor of the basketball league?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Why don't you support college athletes getting paid? Just curious...I know people attack you here and I'm not trying to do that. I'm a former college athlete and was curious if you were, or if your what your background is on this stance.
Wasn't a college athlete. Did IM soccer and high school soccer and cross country.

I think amateur sports have a role to play.

And in college it overlooks other sports that aren't as popular.

If you wanna be paid, go pro.

Pirius Black

Superstar
Daps
Wasn't a college athlete. Did IM soccer and high school soccer and cross country.

I think amateur sports have a role to play.

And in college it overlooks other sports that aren't as popular.

If you wanna be paid, go pro.
Graduate students, interns, practically the entire student body outside of the revenue generating sports can get paid for their work while in school. Why do they have to go pro to get paid? Are not the athletic administrators getting paid? Amateurism is a sham concept put forth by rich guys because they didn't want poor people competing with them. If athletes in college are truly "amateurs", why then does everyone else around them get paid then? Why aren't the administrators or coaches volunteers?