The Real Life Gotham City?

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
what real city comes the closest to the aesthetics and grittiness of gotham city?

obviously 'gotham' has always been a nickname for new york, and 70's/80's new york was probably closest place ever to a real life gotham type city, with all the crime, grittiness and urban decay. not to mention all the psychos/weirdos roaming around

20090406-20090401-nyc-00028.jpg

subway.jpg

1.jpg

6725913073_d71916e6bc_z.jpg

4430865870_701a112a18_o.jpg

Classic-New-York-City-by-John-Conn-61.jpg

andrewgarn.jpg

09noir.span.jpg

_55347883_davidson_subway_03_c.jpg

but I was watching this and this girl said something interesting. at around 3:44 she reminisces about growing up in detroit in the 90's and goes on about how it reminded her of gotham city. just a wild, insane, desolate city. can't imagine how crazy detroit must've been. it was probably like the wild west down there.

I could totally see a wasteland city like detroit as a gotham type place :laugh:

detroit is even gonna be gotham city in the new batman/superman film

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batman-Superman-Could-Turn-Detroit-Gotham-City-39138.html

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
where'd you get the pics f rom?

I didn't find them all in one place. found them scattered all over the internet

search

70's new york
80's new york
gritty new york
new york subway graffiti

etc into google images and you'll find most of the pictures

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
I read somewhere that Gotham was based on New York City, Chicago and Detroit.

robb

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dallas
Robocop gots detroit covered.
but even then, he prefers teh suburbs of dallas.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I read somewhere that Gotham was based on New York City, Chicago and Detroit.

I always got the NYC Chicago vibe from Gotham. Detroit? IDK

Gotham is defined as New York City on the coldest night in the fall season

Staying in the DC Universe.... That can't be right!! I mean isn't Metropolis pretty much NY??! I mean they even got the damn Statue of Liberty there. I can see Gotham being Chi or Det just off the strength that Metropolis being what it is. I mean there can't be 2 NY's right?

And just like hypothetically NY seems to best and biggest/grandest city in the world..... Same goes for Metropolis

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Staying in the DC Universe.... That can't be right!! I mean isn't Metropolis pretty much NY??! I mean they even got the damn Statue of Liberty there. I can see Gotham being Chi or Det just off the strength that Metropolis being what it is. I mean there can't be 2 NY's right?

And just like hypothetically NY seems to best and biggest/grandest city in the world..... Same goes for Metropolis

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_City

Before Detective Comics #48, Batman's adventures were said to happen in New York City. Gotham is known to be architecturally modeled after New York City, but with exaggerated elements of the styles and derives its name from asobriquet for that real world city, first popularized by the author Washington Irving in his satirical work Salmagundi (1807).

Daps
Reppin
Yeah

Yes they are the same but bob Kane stated it a long time ago that Gotham city is ny on the coldest night in November

The most accurate depiction of Gotham was in batman the animated series because of the Art Deco 1930 design was suppose to fit the original creation