The Reason that "Ali" was a boring ass mess was becuz of Will Smith

jackson35

Banned
Daps
Lemme quote myself

Will really didn't want Spike to direct it but wanted sum garbage cac to do it. And imo it turned out being boring and wack as fukk. I've given Will a side eye ever since for that shyt
the ali movie not hittin has nothing to do with will, cac director, or spike lee behind the lens. it has to do with picking a writer and director that can bring a fresh take on ali spike can barely handle malcolm x as a subject, so you know he would have his hands full with ali

jackson35

Banned
Daps
I had no idea that Will threw Spike out like that...that was some bytch shyt. I usually have a lot of respect for him but....:snoop:

Movie is about as run of the mill as you can get. I fukking hate biopics.
just like he threw the malcolm x movie under the bus

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Unpopular opinion, but Spike isn't really a great director. Especially when it comes to Biopics. If it wasn't for Denzel, Malcolm X would have been boring as fukk too.

*Stupid opinion

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
Thread aging too well
9E7Wh5U.png

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
*Stupid opinion
Spike is a good director. But he does put too Spikeisms in his films. I don't need you to be a character in all your movies, i don't need that signature floating camera shot in every movie, i don't need a montage of people yelling the films message directly into the camera in every movies things like that.

Sort like how a biggie song is still great despite diddy all in the video dancing and on song yelling out ad libs and stuff. I still see the greatness, but it's in spite of all those things. Yet he still does it all the time.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:ohhh:I’ll read through this thread when I have time. But I always wondered why some people hated this movie. I was a young bruh when this released and I remember the hate. But didn’t know why it was so hated. The movie had a great cast, soundtrack, and Will looked like Ali. I should give it a rewatch lately.

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I rewatched this last year and it's Mann's weaker movies, but some of that is just that I would rather see a crime drama. The direction is excellent, the script is sharp, think the biopic nature drags it's pace down. There are a few really powerful scenes, the first boxing match, when that music comes on, is a high point. The run in Zimbabwae.

as a kid when I was like 14, I didn't really appreciate a lot of the elements the way I would now, but is it among Mann's lesser movies? for sure.

Daps

This is why the movie’s boring: outside of Bundini (Jamie), all of the supporting characters are flat.

By all accounts of everything I’ve read, Ali behind closed doors was actually quite reserved, quiet, and serious…meaning that Will’s portrayal was actually pretty accurate.

So if the protagonist is a straight man, everyone else around him needs to be dynamic. The only other character besides Bundini I can think of off the top of my head that had any “life” to them was Jada. I would say Giancarlo as Cassius Sr., but all I remember about him is that he was kee-keeing with Bundini.

(Off the top of your head, was Don King even really in the movie??? :jbhmm:Exactly.)

All the other characters in the movie take themselves too seriously, and it brings the entire movie down, and that’s the fault of the Director, and I think Michael Mann is one of the greatest Director’s of our time.

When I think of Malcolm X, every supporting character is memorable, and brings something to the movie.:yeshrug:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Lemme quote myself

Will really didn't want Spike to direct it but wanted sum garbage cac to do it. And imo it turned out being boring and wack as fukk. I've given Will a side eye ever since for that shyt

You can legitimately complain that the wrong guy directed Ali, but calling him "some garbage cac" is wild. :dead:

Going into Ali, Michael Mann was coming off of having directed Last of the Mohicans, Heat, and getting 7 Oscar nods for The Insider, after having been the showrunner for Miami Vice. Then directly after it he directed Collateral and the Miami Vice movie. He was a hot ticket in the 1990s.