The Reason that "Ali" was a boring ass mess was becuz of Will Smith

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Lemme quote myself

:salute:

And I haven't really fukked with Will in a long time. Will is the main reason ""Ali" was a boring fukkin mess. He didn't want Spike Lee to direct it, but he wanted sum random cac to direct

I forgot who said it but one person gave a critique of the movie and said "How could a movie about such an electrifying personality be soooo boring" That's what I was thinking too

:pacspit:Wake the fukk up Will

Will really didn't want Spike to direct it but wanted sum garbage cac to do it. And imo it turned out being boring and wack as fukk. I've given Will a side eye ever since for that shyt

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2000/mar/09/news.spikelee

The final decision is rumoured to have come down to Smith, and the actor opted for Mann, who is currently Oscar-nominated for his work on The Insider. Columbia bosses are reported to have been relieved by the decision, who worried that in Lee's hands the Ali project would be more racially charged and therefore less marketable. "They felt it would become a narrow, militant movie," admits an unnamed studio source. "They thought Mann could deliver a more mainstream movie."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0058720/

Director Spike Lee is bitter over the snub he received from Will Smith when hoping to direct Ali. Lee was approached by Oscar-nominee Will as a possible director for the blockbuster biopic on the life of heavyweight championMuhammad Ali, before Michael Mann was signed. Spike moans, "I wanted to do it, but Will didn't want me to direct it. Columbia and Sony had a list and Will had a list. I met with Will and his manager. The first thing Will said was, 'So Spike, how can you expand your vision?' When he asked that I knew I was out." And disappointed Spike wasn't impressed with the finished film, criticising producers' choice of a white director. Spike adds, "Few white directors can get our stuff right Ali didn't get it. I'm tired of other people documenting our history."

Will has stated that he picks movies off of a formula that seeks mainstream success, going with someone that wouldn't make a controversial film with racial elements fit that formula.

If Spike said he would add explosions and aliens and shyt he would've been selected :sas2:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Will has stated that he picks movies off of a formula that seeks mainstream success, going with someone that wouldn't make a controversial film with racial elements fit that formula.

If Spike said he would add explosions and aliens and shyt he would've been selected :sas2:
SMH

Will pussied out.Can't even fukk with him no more. And he's raising a bytch ass son too

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Really what it is is that the movie itself is a collection of well directed/acted scenes that don't seem to flow together. For instance, the opening 5 minutes are great, you think your in for a classic experience with Sam Cooke crooning while Will Smith trains with Boundini and you get to see Malcom X speak on the Muslim outlook. Things are going great right up until the weigh in against Liston...and the momentum just STOPS... Then it doesn't really get going again until after Malcom is killed and Ali gets stripped of his title. After that it bogs down again until The Rumble In The Jungle....